Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Commuter!

mtbr member

New Commuter!

I just picked up a commuter bike today! I got a 2003 Specialized Allez Sport 27. Its in great shape and I got it for what I think is a great price. I know this may be more of a race bike than many here consider ideal for a commuter bike but I have 15 miles each way so I wanted something fast. It has mounts to put my rack on so I will add a rack and trunk bag to it that I already have. I live in AZ and don't plan to ever ride in the rain so I didn't need to worry about space for fenders. I will edit with some pictures when I get off work in a bit.

Does anyone else ride one of these bikes? Any idea how wide of a tire I can put on. It currently has 23s but I am hoping to fit some bigger ones if possible.

Edit - Picture as she came to me:
    New Commuter!-img_20131121_211548.jpg
    Last edited by azorr; 11-22-2013 at 05:42 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats Azorr! Report back on your commute.

mtbr member
    Will do. Probably next week Monday or Tuesday will be the first one, surprisingly its supposed to rain tomorrow Plus the new bike needs a new front shift cable.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Congrats Azorr! Report back on your commute.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the club!

No rain huh? Give it some time and youll be snow/rain riding like the rest of us yahoos lol
    Feels so weird to drive to work now.

mtbr member
    Haha, I live in Mesa, AZ. It doesn't snow here ever and there are only a hand full of rain days in a year. The biggest challenge for me will be heat in the summer... but that's the best time for early morning MTB rides to get my bike riding fix so we will see next summer how much I ride to work. There are no showers at work so I am not sure how it would work in the middle of summer anyway because I would be drenched in sweat and no way to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    Welcome to the club!

No rain huh? Give it some time and youll be snow/rain riding like the rest of us yahoos lol
    Feels so weird to drive to work now.

weirdo
    Welcome, Azorr. Hmmm... quite a few road bikes here (and all other types of bikes), but stragely, I don`t know of another Allez. Maybe you get to be the first!
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    Welcome!! An ideal commuter is what you want it to be. If you want a fast race bike, then ride it. If you want a fat bike to be able to blast through the snow, ride it. Get what works for you. Anything from a beat up old mountain bike to a full carbon tri bike could be a commuter, if it works for the rider.

Looking forward to seeing pics.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1820/2500

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Bump for picture added to the first post. Ordered a new front derailleur last night, as the on it is broken (knew that when I bought it, factored it into the negotiations ) Once that gets here I will put on a new chain, SPD pedals, clean and lube the drivetrain, change the seat to a wider one (I am a big guy), add my rack and trunk bag and it should be good to go. Once I wear these tires out I am sure I can get a wider one in the back, the front is a bit tight so I will probably go 28c in the back, 25c in the front.

I'd rather be on my bike
    My advice for a saddle is to find an authorized Specialized dealer in your area, and they should have the BG fitting setup (aka the ass o meter). They will properly fit you for a saddle, at no charge. The proper size really makes the difference. I was riding on the wrong size myself, and got straightened out at a Specialized shop.
    2014 miles - 1820/2500

mtbr member
    I don't have showers at work, either. I'm in hot and humid coastal Florida, and sweat something terrible. The thing I've found that works well is using adult bathing wipes. I get to the office, give myself a wipe down, and I'm good to go. Keeping a sweat rag handy on the ride in helps quite a bit, too.

I wouldn't worry much about the heat. So long as you do things right, it shouldn't pose a problem. It's hard, but that's what makes it fun.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice, might try that when I have some extra cash. For now I am going to throw on a WTB Pure V since I have an extra and that is what I run on my MTB and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    My advice for a saddle is to find an authorized Specialized dealer in your area, and they should have the BG fitting setup (aka the ass o meter). They will properly fit you for a saddle, at no charge. The proper size really makes the difference. I was riding on the wrong size myself, and got straightened out at a Specialized shop.

mtbr member
    Pedals and rack mounted.

New Commuter!-img_20131122_082019.jpg

I'd rather be on my bike
    There should be no charge to be fitted. I would just find out what size you need, and what you have, and you might already be set.
    2014 miles - 1820/2500

blet drive
    +1 ten speed. but keep in mind that on your commuter you sit a lot more in one position than you do on your mtb. see what works for you.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    +1 ten speed. but keep in mind that on your commuter you sit a lot more in one position than you do on your mtb. see what works for you.
    For this exact reason, I would want to be fitted. You can have the greatest bike in the world, but if the frame is too big or small, or the saddle is too big or small, it will be uncomfortable.
    2014 miles - 1820/2500

mtbr member
    Sounds good, I will keep it in mind. I will try what I have, if its uncomfortable I will look into getting fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    For this exact reason, I would want to be fitted. You can have the greatest bike in the world, but if the frame is too big or small, or the saddle is too big or small, it will be uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    Sounds good, I will keep it in mind. I will try what I have, if its uncomfortable I will look into getting fitted.
    Even if it doesn't feel uncomfortable, a good fitting would be worthwhile for a road bike. I keep meaning to get a fitting on my Salsa but I keep putting it off.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    I don't have showers at work, either. I'm in hot and humid coastal Florida, and sweat something terrible. The thing I've found that works well is using adult bathing wipes. I get to the office, give myself a wipe down, and I'm good to go. Keeping a sweat rag handy on the ride in helps quite a bit, too.

I wouldn't worry much about the heat. So long as you do things right, it shouldn't pose a problem. It's hard, but that's what makes it fun.
    Yeah, I'm around St. Louis and it gets awful humid in the summer up here. Pretty much 100% every day. I've found that I can usually just bring a towel and deodorant and I'm fine for work. That said, I don't work in an office, I'm a retail clerk. Still can't smell bad for work, ha.

How bad is the humidity in AZ? I would imagine not so bad. I've been in that part of the country before in the summer, and it felt refreshingly not humid.

mtbr member

New Commuter!

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Yeah, I'm around St. Louis and it gets awful humid in the summer up here. Pretty much 100% every day. I've found that I can usually just bring a towel and deodorant and I'm fine for work. That said, I don't work in an office, I'm a retail clerk. Still can't smell bad for work, ha.

How bad is the humidity in AZ? I would imagine not so bad. I've been in that part of the country before in the summer, and it felt refreshingly not humid.
    I'm in pest control, so I'm doing a good bit of manual labor. Not that I run around stinking all the time, mind you.

mtbr member
    ^^ I wonder if a big biohazard sign on your back would help with traffic! Must another sort of 'pest' control!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Ha! I would imagine not. You seem to have a more sophisticated method than I do. I find that I have a really high tolerance to how bad people smell.

Actually, I'd rather someone smelt somewhat sweaty than like perfume of overwhelmingly of some kind of deodorant. That just gives me a headache. And attractive people being sweaty or even smelling sweaty is kind of arousing. Which doesn't give me an excuse to be sweaty...

Anyway, as a commuter, one should just embrace the idea of being sweaty/sexy. Just tell your coworkers to get over how sexy you are. That sounds much easier than showering/toweling dry.

weirdo
    Wow. This thread has certainly taken a turn
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Isn't that the truth! Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I will deal with summer when it comes!

Back on topic, made my first commute last Tuesday. Overall it went well (as in I made it to work and made it home) but I did have a few problems. One of the pulley wheels on my rear der. started squealing like crazy about 5 minutes into the ride, so that was nice to listen to the whole way. Also my seat post clamp started to come loose, I broke my chain, and found out the battery for the lights that came with the bike only lasts about 20 minutes . It can only get better from here. I refurbished the rear der. over the weekend, put on a different chain, swapped out the lights for a newer LED light and loctited the seat post clamp. Planning to make my second run tomorrow, wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Wow. This thread has certainly taken a turn

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Wow, I'm impressed you made it to work with all those issues! Hope things are on the improve soon.

mtbr member

New Commuter!

Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    Isn't that the truth! Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I will deal with summer when it comes!

Back on topic, made my first commute last Tuesday. Overall it went well (as in I made it to work and made it home) but I did have a few problems. One of the pulley wheels on my rear der. started squealing like crazy about 5 minutes into the ride, so that was nice to listen to the whole way. Also my seat post clamp started to come loose, I broke my chain, and found out the battery for the lights that came with the bike only lasts about 20 minutes . It can only get better from here. I refurbished the rear der. over the weekend, put on a different chain, swapped out the lights for a newer LED light and loctited the seat post clamp. Planning to make my second run tomorrow, wish me luck!
    Ha! Sounds like my first few rides back in August. I knew squat about bikes, and bought the best looking one from a pawn shop, that wound up being absolutely horrible, but taught me a lot. I remember having to pedal home 6 miles like I was riding a BMX because my seat post clamp disappeared on the ride. Not to mention batteries dying, gears not shifting, and wheels coming out of true.

I wish you all the best, and hope your ride goes smoothly tomorrow. And don't forget the wipes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast