Thread: New Commuter...

mtbr member

New Commuter...

...introduction: Just wanted to poke my head up and let you guy's know I've been lurking. I've trashed and sold my big-box bike and have started building an inexpensive commuter. I wasn't sure which forum to post this to, being that it's Commuter/Beginner/Single Speed/Clydesdale related. I chose the commuter forum since that will be the rides primary function.

I've started with a Velorazzo aluminum hardtale frame that I bought from a friend for $90 a couple weeks ago. I've been on here researching and trying to build a parts list based on all of your experience and I swear I've changed my mind about what I want to build almost everyday.

I started thinking suspension forks, as much carbon as will fit, 21-speed weight weenie x-country; to a full rigid built for strength commuter. I'd still like to see sub-20 lbs. but I'm not obsessive.

My commute will be 11 miles one way with a couple of short climbs (courtesy of the river valley), about 2 miles gravel country road, 1/2 mile gravel bike path, a couple blocks through an undesireable neighborhood (very p.c. description), two draw-bridges, little traffic and mostly country back roads. Oh, did I mention hopping the rail-road tracks?

I did the last leg of this commute one day a week for about a year (only two miles) before I moved. It takes 20 minutes drive time from where I live now. The big deal is three years later and 20 lbs. heavier it's time to get back on two-wheels under my own speed.

OCTO13ER

mtbr member
    I introduced my wife to the idea of me commuting and she say's no way. Apparently if I don't get mugged I'll probably get run over. A guy she used to work with commuted and was involved in a "left for dead" hit and run. Basicly the bicycle commuter's worst nightmare. I explained to her the use of lights, reflector's, etc...it doesn't matter. I'm still crazy if I think she's going to let me ride my bike to work.

It reached a point where I had to drop the discussion (argument) because she wouldn't listen to reason. The best I got was "...not without disability insurance."

My viewpoint: The reason's cited for not commuting could happen in a car as well as a bike. The outcome or possibility may not be as severe, but it could happen. I like the way a friend of mine from Poland said it: "If you're afraid to do everything; you'll never do anything."

What sorts of arguments or situations have you guy's faced with loved one's fearing the worst?

Can any of you recommend good supplemental insurance providers? I don't have anything offered through work.

OCTO13ER

mtbr member
    May 2005
    be glad that at she cares about your safety, and try to work together to a solution that you'll both be happy with. my fiance worries every time i bike, and i have to call her as soon as i reach the office. she has a map with the route i take, and i know better than to change the route just because i feel like it. to be honest, i can't blame your wife. lights and reflectors are not a force field. you have to assume that you're not seen by cars. some drivers have a hard enough time seeing other cars!!!!

can you find a commute path that doesn't go through the ghetto? can you find a friend/buddy that you can commute with? how many actual muggings occur in the area, and is it a legitimate concern? commuting with a nice bike with a carbon fork might make you a target? just a couple things to consider before you ask her about it again.

not sure about your disability/supplemental insurance provider, since i am covered at my work.

BIG and Bald
    My advice...put your foot down and show her who's boss. LOL Just kidding...

I've been riding since before my wife and I even started dating so it's not really a big deal...at least she doesn't say much about it if it is. I know she may worry sometimes but she knows the health benefits are more important for me and that trying to sway me would be futile. I have had some family members and co-workers inform me of how dangerous it is but it typically doesn't go any further than that.

I typically don't give it much thought but there are instances when I'm leaving for work at 5:30am that I get a little nervous when I roll through a certain part of the neighborhood but that just encourages me to ride faster. As for traffic, I don't think much about it either. I just have complete faith in my brakes and my trusty handlebar mirror...even more faith that God is watching out for me from all sides. No one can aruge with that...unless they are athiest.

Sorry I couldn't give any help but just maybe something I typed may spark something. Good luck!!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]