mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Neurologist biker killed, culprit gets 90 days in jail and pays $18,000 to the family

Unbelievable! Talk about a loss to humanity especially that the doctor was also a scientist researcher in a search for a cure for Alzheimer's Disease and cancer.

Man gets 90 days in jail for fatal hit and run crash
    PHOENIX -
    He pled guilty to hitting a valley neurologist riding his bike and then leaving the scene in Fountain Hills.

On Friday, the man behind the wheel in that tragic accident learned his punishment.

Nicholas Linsk was sentenced to 90 days in jail, 5 years of probation and 500 hours of community service. He'll also have to pay the victim's family over $18,000 in restitution.

"It's been very difficult.. it was a huge loss for us. Dr. Maalouf was really a rising star as a neurologist and a scientist. It's very rare that someone has the ability and intellectual power to do both of those things," said Dr. Ronald Lukas, VP of Research and Neurobiology.
    Man gets 90 days in jail for fatal hit and run crash

mtbr member
    I'm surprised he got any sort of punishment.

"Oh, you didn't see him or realize you had hit him? That's okay then. As long as you didn't mean to."

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    These kind of stories make me sick to my stomach and are far too common anymore. The traffic code is an absolute joke that seems to have been written by a collection of drunk drivers. There is almost no responsibility placed on the driver's part anymore. It will just keep getting worse until the entire system is (completely) overhauled. What a disgrace.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    ^
    I'm actually not worried about drunk drivers as they're very few of them and mostly come out very late at night. It's the texting and smartphone internet surfing while driving that I'm worried about. They're everywhere day and night.

Neurologist biker killed, culprit gets 90 days in jail and pays ,000 to the family-im-not-texting.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    There should be little quarter to anyone that fleas the scene of an accident they caused.

I am really hoping Texas uses their new law but I am not holding my breath.

As of September first in Texas the driver could have been charged with intoxication manslaughter (this includes incidents involving cyclists):

SB 275
    Hit-and-run fatality crashes will now carry the same penalty as intoxication manslaughter, up to 20 years in prison. Lawmakers noticed that drivers might leave the scene of the crime if they were drunk because it would mean a lesser charge.

mtbr member
    A great tragedy. Steelhmr said it- Our system is long overdue for an overhaul. I say we should look at Germany's DMV system for a model to build on.
    "he lives with his mother and has a learning disability"...theres your problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yet he has a degree from ASU and has applied for a masters? How much of a "learning" disability does he really have?