mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Need your backpack recommendations

Last year I purchased a Giant Talon that I've been also using to commute to and from work from time to time... not everyday yet.

At any rate I'm currently using a computer laptop backpack that has a larger compartment for the laptop and several smaller compartments for other stuff. This "works" but not very comfortably and I have to really cram everything in there:

- work shoes
    - pants
    - shirt
    - socks
    - laptop (17")
    - towel (shower at work upon arriving)

That said, I'm looking for recommendations on a new backup, one that will have plenty of room for all of the.

So far I've seen the GoRuck GR1 ($295) and just not sure if I'm ready to drop almost $300 on a backpack. I've also read reviews on the InCase Range and Banjo Brothers Commuter packs. Both look promising though I would much rather get a backpack that's made in the USA. Again prefer but will buy others if the quality is there.

What would you guys recommend?

I Ride for Donuts
    Yeesh that's a lot to carry. No way to stash clothes (or at least shoes) at work and/or just carry a flash drive(s)?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How big are you looking to go? Not necessarily for commuting, but I went with a Camelbak HAWG; lots of space, and is compatible with the MOLLE add-on system. From my (little) experience thus far, the airflow across your back is dismal at best. They also have packs that are designed with the commuter in mind as well.

The added benefit is that it also carries water (if you so choose)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Can you use a smaller laptop? I had a hard enough time hauling around a 15.4" screen and just downsized to a 14". I use a Timbuktu Swig but no way is that going to haul your load, I would suggest one of the bigger Chrome or Timbuktu roll top packs.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The laptop is not something I have to carry nor do I carry all the time. I really just listed everything as a "worse case" scenario.

uav2man
    Mar 2013
    I just started using the Over Board Waterproof Pro-Sports Backpack-20 Litre. But my priority is dry in wet weather. You might wanna consider the 30 Litre for size. 100 bucks at your door. It is an awesome product.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Are you looking for a backpack in particular, or just some way to carry your stuff? I recently got a saddlebag for the first time, and have been really enjoying it. It sits out of the wind, low center of mass, and doesn't make my back clammy and sweaty due to no ventilation. Depending on the bag, you might need no additional rack, or a minor support like the Carradice bagman...

If you aren't wedded to the backpack, you might try looking a little further afield.

Moderator Moderator
    You need an Osprey Manta.

Manta Series Hydration Packs Updated! - Osprey Packs, Inc :2013: Official Site

If you can take your gear to a store that carries them it will be easier to check the cargo space (it comes in different sizes).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Take a look at the tout terrain backpack and seat-post mount. Kinda interesting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    And chrome and timbuck2 make nice US made back packs. Although some are foreign.

Still want a fat bike....
    I have the Phoenix Cycling Backpack from Timbuk2 and love it. I recently took it on a trip to Aridzona and was able to pack my 17 inch laptop, power supply, 2 pairs of shorts, 4 pairs of boxers, 4 under shirts, 3 polos, a pair of flops, and some assorted small electronics and snacks. Overall, I am VERY happy with this purchase and recommend it to anyone.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Stopped by my LBS and found out they carry the Chrome Citizen Night (messenger bag), Banjo Brothers Commuter Backpack, and a Chrome Backup though I don't remember which series it was.

The Banjo Brothers backpack looked really nice in person and while not striped from the list I wish it was made in the USA. On the flip side seeing the Chrome Citizen Night in person also really got me thinking about messenger bags... that thing is nice.

I Ride for Donuts
    If you've never done a messenger bag, I'd try a cheap one before you drop a bunch of money on one. Personally I could never get really comfortable with one.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just got a osprey momentum 34 and love it. osprey makes some cool bike backpacks. I ened up picking up a smaller hydration pack for when i hit the trails. the bag is big enough for when i have to go to school and cary some extra close some books and my 15" laptop.

edit: oh yeah it has a built in rain flap too which is nice.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    If you've never done a messenger bag, I'd try a cheap one before you drop a bunch of money on one. Personally I could never get really comfortable with one.
    I agree, and I don't think we've had to many messenger bag fans on the forum. Of course, you could end up being one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well I ended up going with an Osprey Manta 36.

Seems to be of good quality, have read good things about the company, and seems to have decent room for most of my stuff (minus the laptop). So far I like the fact it has a big compartment with a few other smaller ones and a built in hydration pack.

I'll do my first ride with it tomorrow morning and see how well it does.

mtbr member
    Aloha,
    I've been using this Vaude pack for several years now. Fits all the stuff I need including my laptop, rain gear, change of clothes etc. Even carry tools in case I get a flat or what ever. I like it because it's expandable for other needs based on what I have to bring to or from work. Even has a rain fly for those (many) rain days of commute here.

VAUDE | Bike Alpin 30+5 - marine/blue

I haven't done a search on it in a while so not sure of US distributors if that's what you're looking for.

Guess here's one:
    Vaude Bike Alpin 30+5 Backpack | | Bike Bag Shop

Human Test Subject
    I live in Minneapolis, home of Banjo Brothers. Everyone here uses them except for me. I have an LG triathalon backpack with sweet ass sharks on it.

I think the sheer number of the BB bags must mean they're good, otherwise people would tell their friends not to buy them. I have 3 BB saddle bags, a top tube bag, and 2 market panniers. They're all really nice, but I can't vouch for the backpacks.