Trail Cubist

Need an UPDATE on best commuting bike pants...

I've found plenty of threads about pants for commuting, but most of them are old---and in the clothing fashion industries, a link someone posted last year is likely dead now, or to a product that is no longer made. (Clothing is THE most fickle product on earth when it comes to sales longevity.)

So I'm curious to hear what pants people find great for cycle commuting In 2014? (My question is aimed at anyone who has actually purchased cycling pants in the past few months---if you bought some two years ago it's probably pointless to mention them cuz they won't be available anymore.)

I'm looking for both long and short pants that I do NOT have to change out of when I get to work (in a casual, university environment).

I know there are some "super fabrics" out there that are a bit stretchy, water resistant, breathable, and resist dirt and stains. I'm just not sure what the current trade names are for these fabrics (because trade names change all the time too).

Finally, I'm a Clydesdale---so not interested in the millions of designer-jeans-skinny-hipster-Euro-fashion pants that seem to dominate the market. Closer-fitting pants or tapered legs are fine as long as they have roomy thighs and waist sizes up to 40.

Thanks!
    Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. óJim311

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    For cold weather, I just wear a pair of wind/water proof pants I got at marshalls. Just goes over whatever I'm wearing and I just take it off and jam it in the pannier when I get to my destination.

mtbr member
    Rapha.

Edit: Nope. You're two inches too fat.

Moderator Moderator
    Office-Friendly Bike Clothing: Don't Sweat the Commute - WSJ.com

I don't know anything about these, but they have 40
    Gray Bike to Work Pants - Betabrand

If you don't find any bike specific pants you like, maybe consider some regular pants with a little stretch, like some made for hiking. Something like this?
    Cresta Hiking Pants: Active | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am considered to be a clyde as well, and in the cooler weather, I just wear jeans with the right pant leg rolled up, but I also change into scrubs when I get to work. I have a few pairs of jeans that are a more tapered leg, but are far from skinny jeans. The waist and fit of these are very giving, so they are actually comfortable to ride in.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1514/2500

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    No in between for me. I wear bike clothes to ride and change at work. Can you just step into the men's room and change?

Trail Cubist
    Thanks for the replies. I've tried riding in jeans and find them too constricting (and too hot, even in cold weather). I live in a really hilly town, so even short rides inevitably involve some tough climbs.

Yes, I could change when I get to work...but my job (alas) involves moving from location to location often (typically for meetings not in my office building)...so I'd be changing 3-4 times a day. I wouldn't mind changing if I just camped out at one place all day.

I remembered after my original post that I bought a pair of shorts last year from Eddie Bauer. They're made of a material Bauer calls "Travex" and it's fantastic. Here's their website for it:
    Travex Clothing & Gear for Trek & Travel | Eddie Bauer

This Travex material is lightweight, seems to repel just about everything (my shorts never seem to get dirty---at least not visually dirty), and is slightly stretchy. So I may look into buying a pair of long pants made of the stuff (and it's a LOT cheaper than made-for-cycling clothing).

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. óJim311

jrm
    mtbr member
    ncg
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone View Post
    I've found plenty of threads about pants for commuting, but most of them are old---and in the clothing fashion industries, a link someone posted last year is likely dead now, or to a product that is no longer made. (Clothing is THE most fickle product on earth when it comes to sales longevity.)

So I'm curious to hear what pants people find great for cycle commuting In 2014? (My question is aimed at anyone who has actually purchased cycling pants in the past few months---if you bought some two years ago it's probably pointless to mention them cuz they won't be available anymore.)

I'm looking for both long and short pants that I do NOT have to change out of when I get to work (in a casual, university environment).

I know there are some "super fabrics" out there that are a bit stretchy, water resistant, breathable, and resist dirt and stains. I'm just not sure what the current trade names are for these fabrics (because trade names change all the time too).

Finally, I'm a Clydesdale---so not interested in the millions of designer-jeans-skinny-hipster-Euro-fashion pants that seem to dominate the market. Closer-fitting pants or tapered legs are fine as long as they have roomy thighs and waist sizes up to 40.

Thanks!
    Scott
    Looks like you are already on to this, but I find that some hiking or "travel" pants can pass as "university casual" depending on what department you are in.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.