Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007

Need a road bike for around $500! Newbie

I have a Haro X6 LT freeride bike and am looking to do some road riding to save on gas and get some exercise when I can't commit to driving to a park to mountain bike. I'm wondering if it is reasonable to expect to find a decent road bike for around $500. Street tires for my bike are out because it weighs in at 36 lbs and is full suspension. I've been checking craigs list and the classifieds but haven't found anything decent. I'm looking for a road bike with drop bars and the brake levers that are also shifters. I'm very new to the road scene so any suggestions as to what to get are welcome.
    08' Haro X6LT

mtbr member
    Try roadbikereview.com the sister site to this one. As for commuting bikes, I got a buddy looking at the Trek FX series, Gary Fisher Monona & Specialized Globe. More of a hybrid bike then road bike, but around $500-600 range.
    [SIZE="2"]Give me a lotta lumps . . . a whole lotta lumps.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm in the same price range, and in nearly the same situation, and here's what I test rode yesterday:

Specialized Sirrus 2008 $550
    Specialzied Sirrus 2007 $450 (discounted for last year's model, normally $499)
    Scott SUB $499
    Scott Sportster 6 $349
    Haro Roscoe $549
    Masi Caffe $650

While the Masi is the best looking, it's way too rigid for me. The Roscoe has the coolest color, a bright green. The Scott bikes have the nicest looking frames. The Sirrus rode very well, and would be the top of my list, if I were going for stock....with that said...

IMHO the Sportster 6 with an upgraded crankset would be perfect. Commuter bikes are gonna get thrashed, no sense in spending tons if you're on a budget. Besides, cheaper bikes leave cash for nicer racks/packs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

You won't likely find a true....

road bike in the $500 range. At least not with the spec your looking for. The Specilized Sirrus is likey the closest you'll get. Basically a road frame with slightly different components. It falls into the catagory of a "fitness" bike. For drop bars and STI shifters you'll need a full on road bike. A bottom line road bike at the entry level will set you back right around $800 + or - a bit if you are talking new. The Specialized Allez and Trek 1.2 are good examples of entry level road bikes. Used is another story. But unless you know what you are looking for take care in buying a used bike. But it is an option. You can get a pretty nice used road bike a couple of years old for $500. But a good new road bike at $500 ain't likely to happen. So for new push your budget about 3 bills higher and you'd be in the right neighborhood.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Do your research seperately about bikes direct but this touring bike is a great deal and it's very close to your budget.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm

Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007
    i'm also wondering if I should be looking into a flat bar bike. I like the idea of drop bars, but I don't see myself doing any super serious road riding. I would like to be able to do 20 or 30 miles at a time.
    08' Haro X6LT

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You don't need no stinkin' gears! Get a single speed Bianchi San Jose. Lots of people love those as a commuter/trail/do it all bike.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Rider
    i'm also wondering if I should be looking into a flat bar bike. I like the idea of drop bars, but I don't see myself doing any super serious road riding. I would like to be able to do 20 or 30 miles at a time.
    One advantage of staying with flat bars is that you can use mtb shifters and brakes, saving a big chunk of the cost of a new roadie. I must admit I`ve been a bit dropbar curious myself lately I`m mostly thinking touring, so I`ve looked at that Windsor- FWIW, the few reviews I`ve read on it paint it pretty nice but it`s going to be heavy. It appears to be the same bike as the Fuji Touring model. Another option is to hang on and try to catch a killer sale in the fall. Or keep watching Craigs list. For any kind of a big purchase like that I always feel like I get more for my Dollar buying used.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Second the San Jose. For a commuter get rid of the extra stuff and just have a good time riding. Drop bars offer tons of hand positions. I'd also say to look at the redline 925, the Schwinn Madison and maybe anything IRO. IRO should have a 29er SS coming through the pipes sometime this summer, so it might be a good pick up if you just want something to commute on. And... you can always try out craigslist.

Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007
    thanks for all the advise ill look into those!
    08' Haro X6LT

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm with Doggity, screw gears! I love my Redline 925 SS with bull horn handlebars. Comes with fenders and rack mounts too. Not to mention you can make into freewheel or fixie (can't wait to try fixie for the first time). It's an awesome commuter bike that won't leave you poor.