mtbr member

Need my commuter bro's help

So Ive been asking bout different bikes and finally settled on getting me a shiney new Awol next month and wouldnt ya know life happens. The money i had been saving for ever is used to fix the wifes truck.

I was bummed for a bit but there are more important things then shiney new bikes. That being said come spring im going to freshen up my Hardrock for another year.

Brakes and wheels i have gotten figured out from my other thread that just leaves the drivetrain. Cassette/ chain rings is sharkfinned and derailers are shifting funky. Ive put tons of miles on my bike and im a big dude so i think things are just waring out.

So this is my bike
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Need a cassette , rear derailleur , chainrings and maybe a crank. (left arm keep getting loose)

Ive found all the parts except I dunno what cranks to get.

Or could i buy one of those cheap deore gruppos off fleabay and do that. I just dunno if itll fit to be honest.
    2014 Shimano Deore M610 Groupset Drivetrain Group Set 2x10 20 Speed M590 Upgrade | eBay

I know altus is cheaper but i wanted a bit better than what i currently have.

I know this is longwinded but i wanted to make sure i asked everything i needed to so i dont order the wrong stuff. Thanks guys

That's a pretty good price for that drivetrain. And I've ordered from that ebay store before. They'll get the stuff to you, but usually it comes via the slow boat from China. As for fitment, everything should fit, but the front derailleur is a question mark. Spesh's website says you need a bottom pull derailleur, but it looks like the kit includes the opposite. It might be worth asking fibica if they can put the one you need in there. The listing says they'll swap.

With that said, there's a chance your derailleurs are still okay, depending on how many miles you've got on there. The pivots will get sloppy over time, though. If you've swapped chain, cassette, rings, and cables and shifting is still sloppy, then the derailleurs may be worn. I am still using a 2003 LX front derailleur and front and rear shifters on my mtb. The XTR rear did wear out a couple years ago, though.

You could go either way. I wouldn't feel bad about tossing a little over $200 into a whole new drivetrain for that bike. It's a modest upgrade for that bike, but one that will definitely be noticeable.

I'm going to be tossing some work into my wife's old Rockhopper in coming year(s). It's a pretty basic 8 year old bike she rode on and off since it was new. I got her a snazzy new (to her) used carbon FS Santa Cruz decked out with full XTR and everything for a song. Her old rockhopper is going into bike path/road mode. I have a crankset upgrade I got for cheap to put on it now. I plan on swapping the crappy suspension fork for a rigid carbon one, and probably some Big Apples. I doubt I'll go all-out in making it into a commute-ready bike with rack and fenders. She works too far away and will probably only ride with me when it's nice out. MAYBE I'll put a rack on it...she might actually ride with me to the farmer's market on Saturdays.

mtbr member
    So the BB and cranks will fit fine? I think i need a 68mm BB.
    Im very noobish when it comes to these things. Ask me to whip up a workout plan and i can in 5min, but spinning wrenchs im just learning.

I was just gonna try to make it with a cassette, chain, rings, crank but adding that up i wouldnt be saving much vs going with the shimano groupset.

And yes i know bout the slow boat. My bike light still has two weeks before it gets here. lol

Yeah, the BB and cranks should fit. That's the nice thing about the threaded external cup bb's. They fit old shells just fine and use spacers to accommodate both 68 and 73mm shells. You can even fiddle with the shims a little bit to tweak the chainline a little if running a 1x drivetrain.

Things get strange and proprietary when you start talking about press fit crap. One reason why I will never own press fit.