mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New question here. Need help with 3 options

Hello everyone,

I am new and need some help... My Marin pioneer trail got stolen last week and I need to get a new one but don't want to spend crazy money since I had invested close to $450 on the already mentioned bike and it is gone now!!

Since I was mad about it, I went and got the genesis v2100 from walmart, while it is a bike... It feels heavy and hard to move like it does not go! I will be returning the bike this week and I here is where I need help, I have 3 options to go with but will like your opinion about these.
    I will be using it mostly for commuting to work, round trip is 10 miles, mostly pavement except from probably 2 miles where there is not pavement but fairly flat with small rocks. I am considering the following 3:

The Gravity FSX 1.0 <-- Looks like this one has better components but look heavier that the basecamp.
    The Gravity BaseCamp 1.0 <-- This one looks lighter.
    Haro Flightline 26 Series FL One <--Is this a descent bike?

Based on this info, which bike will you guys get?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    For that money, check out craigslist for a used bike. There are so many on there that were ridden a handful of times then stored. You can get a $1000 bike for $400.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I wouldn't buy a bike online. I wouldn't know how the bike rides, the quality of the build, etc. How would you get parts warrantied? You ended up returning the Walmart bike. The Gravity bikes have a 30 day window to return, "Return it in original condition - new and packaged as you received". What does that mean; if the rims have marks from the pads, if the wheels are dirty, will they still take it back? Plus you pay for shipping. If you insist on going online; shop with a store that has a "no questions" asked return policy and you can return in a local store - saving you on shipping. Costco, REI, etc.

I would look into buying used locally; bike shops, flea market, pawnshops, garage sales, Goodwill/Salvation Army, Craigslist, etc.

Had a few Gravity bikes roll through the shop I worked in this summer. It never failed, they were TANKS. All of them. Plus, Gravity does weird crap just because they can. Like deep v rims with long schraeder valve stems. My shop could not get these. Really frustrating for customers. Also, really weird spoke lacing patterns. Not sure what purpose they served other than to make it a PITA to true the wheel later and look more expensive than it is.

I don't know much about Haro bikes, but from what I figure, it'd be a step or two better than Gravity bikes, simply because I haven't seen Haro do anything strange just because.

I just got a used bike off the mtbr classifieds for my wife. Stellar deal. It was pretty high end, though. I don't see much inexpensive stuff on there. Craigslist is hard. People inflate prices there by a long shot, so you have to be wise to that stuff. There's also a lot of crap on there you have to weed through to find the good stuff. You have to be patient. In my city, we've got a bike coop and a bike shop that specializes in used bikes. Both would be solid options, too.

mtbr member
    I don't want to be a jerk, but you haven't given any useful info to make a recommendation. What's your budget? What size do you need? Do you know what size you need? What kind of riding are you doing? Is it all pavement? Dirt? Rail trail? Some of all of the above? What level of maintenance can you do on your own?
    I have no problem recommending a bike from BD, but only if you're capable of handling your own wrenching after the sale. I'd also ask why the Geniesis isn't doing it for you? Is it just weight? Perhaps it isn't set up properly? And again, what kind of riding are you wanting to do with it? I ask since once you have those answers, you can avoid the same problems with whatever you get next. I'm one of the few people who will tell you that even a Walmart bike (I have one two years old in my shed right now) will serve a purpose if you know just what you want it to do and buy appropriately.

As to the original question, Of the three bikes 1 is full suspension and the other two are hardtails. You're comparing apples and oranges. For the money involved just here, I'd say either an Motobecane HT400, HT450 or the Haro (who does build a good bike but that is the bottom of the range).
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thank you for all your answers!

I just got a 2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er, they were moving to another state and I got it for 220 new condition yay! I love this bike, rode it to work (10 miles round trip) and defently I can tell the difference, this one actually goes thanks again!