Beanie aficionado
    Nov 2004

Need a commuter bike suggestion, thinking cyclocross...

I need a new commuter bike and id like some suggestions from the crowd.

Here is a list of wants/requirements
    XT or Ultegra level components. Not much of a Campy or Sram fan, but im flex on this.
    700 c wheels: Required
    Rear rack mounts: Required
    Room for fenders with 28c or larger tires: Required
    Drop bars preferred
    Disc mounts preferred but im on the fence about going to flat bars and hydro shimano clampers.
    Inexpensive. Yeah i know it all relative, but im thinking steel or aluminum. I dont need light or classy. So carbon and Ti are out.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Good luck wanting all that in a pre-built model. I had *exactly* the same list a year and a half ago when I was putting a bike together. I came up virtually empty - though I was looking at exclusively steel. So, for cyclocross frames, with disc mounts and rack mounts, you've got the Soma doublecross, and (I think) the rocky mountain ??? (forget the model). The Rocky clearly does not match your component level - I recall it might be Tiagra? the Soma would be a frame only, though your LBS could probably put a package together. I woulda gone w/ the Soma, but it just didn't fit right. Now, I have a Salsa LaCruz (no rack mounts) that I love. I run it with a seatpost rack, or a BOB if I need a ton of cargo.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 'cross bikes are built pretty light. Once I have a load on the back, it becomes pretty whippy. I've gotten used to it, but it can be unnerving. However, the overall geometry is really nice when the going gets tough.6" of snow/snot/slush? No problem...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Oh, yeah... It a'int a cross bike, but what about the Salsa Fargo? Again, it won't come with the component level you want, but your LBS can get a frame/build kit. Or, you can just upgrade as you see fit. Just a thought.

Beanie aficionado
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the input.
    I had hoped to buy a complete bike but getting a frame set and build kit is not outside the realm of possibility, but there goes the price point i was hoping to stick to.

I hear you about the frame mounts for the rack, but i kinda dislike the post mount style. I like the good ole fashioned 70's style and class a standard rack brings to my game.

Fargo? Only fags ride 29".

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Civia Bryant. Tiagra and then do a BB7 road upgrade. Take the extra front rings and derailleur off. It'd be a pretty nice bike with room for upgraditis.

What's your idea of a cheap bike? Mine is less than 2k.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Civia Bryant. Tiagra and then do a BB7 road upgrade. Take the extra front rings and derailleur off. It'd be a pretty nice bike with room for upgraditis.

What's your idea of a cheap bike? Mine is less than 2k.
    This, seriously. I have been drooling over this bike for a while and have been seconds from ordering multiple times, though I would go with Rival as I am totally sold on SRAM's road offerings.

steel
    discs
    split stays to go belt if you want
    kickstand mounting plate (I LOVE THIS)
    fender and rack mounts front and rear
    replaceable dropouts, vertical or horizontal so you can go single, geared, belted, whatever

mtbr member
    I have a couple questions that will change what I would recommend.

1. What is the terrain/weather like where you plan to commute?
    2. How long is your commute?
    3. What is your budget?

I commute on a road bike because I prefer speed to comfort and don't have any dirt/gravel roads in my route. My bike has some rack mounting points, but I'm pretty happy with a good comfortable backpack. Unless it's loaded with 20# of crap, I hardly feel it on my back and it's easier to just wear it going into work/store/concert/etc. I had a tail trunk on my last commuter bike (Trek Soho), and while it was nice it was more of a pain in the a$$ than it was worth. Taking in on/off when I locked my bike up and carting it around with me was awkward whereas I just kind of forget about the backpack.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    CX bike is a great idea,whats a good basic rack? i need to complete my cx bike/ commuter,and get away from the backpack.It would be cool if a backpack could slide right onto a rack ,if the straps kind of looped around posts at the bottom of the rack.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    CX bike is a great idea,whats a good basic rack? i need to complete my cx bike/ commuter,and get away from the backpack.It would be cool if a backpack could slide right onto a rack ,if the straps kind of looped around posts at the bottom of the rack.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=34436

Or if you already have panniers - http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-205.htm

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    ask for a frame and build a Ruben with your specs and budget

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How 'bout a Van Dessel WTF? Available with a wide variety of configurations, seems to meet all the spec, but I'm not sure about your budget. http://www.vandesselsports.com/?page_id=17

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Salsa Vaya is a more commuter friendly version of the Salsa La Cruz. They moved the rear brake inside of the rear triangle so you can use a normal rack. It even has eyelets on the fork if you wanted to throw a front rack on it. You'd have to build your own if you want XT/Ultegra, but that's more fun than buying a stock bike anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by burmer_skark
    Thanks for the input.
    I had hoped to buy a complete bike but getting a frame set and build kit is not outside the realm of possibility, but there goes the price point i was hoping to stick to.

I hear you about the frame mounts for the rack, but i kinda dislike the post mount style. I like the good ole fashioned 70's style and class a standard rack brings to my game.

Fargo? Only fags ride 29".
    One more I almost forgot: The Vassago Fisticuff. It's got the disc/rack combo, and vassago frames are pretty inexpensive, but ride like they cost a LOT more. Super fun geometry. You can tell your friends you're just bi-curious if you put "700c" rims on there, rather than 29ers.

jrm
    mtbr member

Build it yourself

starting with the frame.
    Inexpensive. Yeah i know it all relative, but im thinking steel or aluminum. I dont need light or classy. So carbon and Ti are out.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    I need a new commuter bike and id like some suggestions from the crowd.

Here is a list of wants/requirements
    XT or Ultegra level components. Not much of a Campy or Sram fan, but im flex on this.
    700 c wheels: Required
    Rear rack mounts: Required
    Room for fenders with 28c or larger tires: Required
    Drop bars preferred
    Disc mounts preferred but im on the fence about going to flat bars and hydro shimano clampers.

Thoughts?
    While I am not a huge bikesdirect fan, this seems like a pretty good deal, http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ane/outlaw.htm
    Has most of what your looking for, and is inexpensive. I've thought about this bike for a commuter, That way I wouldn't worry about ruining my favorite bike when it gets dinged up from commuting. . . even has rack mounts.
    RIDE 'TILL YOU PUKE

Beanie aficionado
    Nov 2004
    After thinking long and hard about it i think i am just going to singlespeed my Soho. I really like the belt drive and it has everything else i want (except for disc mounts) but i hate the internal hub. Plus its free since i already own it.

Thanks for the tips guys, some interesting suggestions out there!

mtbr member
    After thinking long and hard about it i think i am just going to singlespeed my Soho. I really like the belt drive and it has everything else i want (except for disc mounts) but i hate the internal hub. Plus its free since i already own it.

Thanks for the tips guys, some interesting suggestions out there!
    That's a viable option, but you if you want a SS commuter you could easily sell the Soho and put together a pretty nice SS on a budget and maybe even pocket some cash. The belt drive is pretty badass though, I miss my Soho just for that reason.

Dawes Deadeye 29er: $319 shipped
    Avid BB7 x 2: ~$100
    Some sort of cyclocross or slick set of tires: $80
    WTB Mountain Road Drop Bars: $55
    Velo Orange Hammered Fenders: $55
    TOTAL: $609 + tax + S/H
    Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 11-05-2010 at 09:26 AM.
    "Got everything you need?"