mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Nashbar X Aluminum build - Question!

First post here after lurking for a while. Big surprise, you guys have totally sold me on the Nashbar X aluminum frame...

Here the thing... I have a Shimano nexus 8 spd hub, non disc, so I'm thinking I'm going to build the thing up with a flat bar, and V brakes. Has anybody run Vs on this thing? Also, any recommendation on a crank to go with the hub? It's a 20t, so I'm thinking I'll run a 44t chainring...

Anyway, been great seeing all your builds, and soaking up the wisdom... and please don't hesitate to share your thoughts!
    Last edited by MoreCowbell82; 01-13-2011 at 06:30 PM.

weirdo
    Cowbell!

If the frame has studs for cantis, Vs will work on it (not sure if that`s what you were asking), and brake levers for the Vs will be no problem since you`re thinking flat bars. 20/44 is likely as good a place as any to start for your gearing. I used 21/42 when I had a Nexus 8 setup, but I like low gears. Welcome to the forum.
    Recalculating....

I got nothin'
    You should be good with v-brakes. I am running disc on mine and really dig them during the wet weather. The 44 tooth chain ring should not be a problem either. I am running a 34-50 double crankset with no issues. That said, there are two different frames out there, ones with 135mm rear spacing and some with 130mm. Mine is the 130mm and I an able to fit a 39-53 road double but those with the 135mm spacing need to run compacts. Have fun with your Nashbar X frame. Mine is about to turn one year old and I have logged about 1,800 miles commuting on it with no issues. There are others on this forum with many more miles.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the advice! The only reason for running V's instead of disc is that the Nexus hub is non disc... but V's aren't so bad anyway - we're just spoiled with discs now.

I think I've finalized the build list...

Handlebar: Woodman Wide n wild 30mm rise
    Stem: Something cheap and aluminum... 60mm
    Headset: Woodman Axis SL
    Fork: Whichever ebay auction I win...
    Brakes: Shimano XT V's
    Brake levers: Cane Creek direct curve(have always loved the shape)
    Shifter: Shimano Alfine 8spd trigger
    Grips: Ergon GP1 cork
    Seat collar: Woodman QR
    Seatpost: Easton aluminum dealie
    Saddle: WTB speed V
    Crankset: Let's see if this works... SRAM Rival with 44t ring
    Tires: Hutchinson Bulldog and Piranha CX - 34mm
    Wheels: Front - generic Marin hub mated to an Alex rim, Rear - Nexus mated to a generic Alex rim... but they're both black, so they 'match'

So pumped to see how this thing turns out... am praying the geometry with the riser bar works out okay, but don't see why not. Boxes start arriving in the coming days, so will post pics as it's being built up...

I got nothin'
    Good luck with the build. Keep us posted. Remember though that the X frame has a shorter top tube than a MTB, so you might need a longer stem than you think to get the fit correct when running a flat bar. The shorter top tube is setup for drop bars. No biggie, you just might need a longer stem than expected. Also, your crank chainring combo should work just fine.

Have fun!
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Did I catch a niner?
    I'd give the Nashbar V Brakes a look and save some coin, unless you own the XT's already. Nothing wrong with V's I think they're great and add that element of danger we all are missing during a rush hour commute in the rain/snow.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    hydrogeek - Thanks for the input - I might end up running a setback seatpost, but we'll see how it is without, as I like a relatively compact cockpit.

Mr Pink57 - Good tip on the Nashbar V's... I figure, what the hell, I used to race on V's, rode across the country last year with em too, and since this isn't a commuter, but really a fast/fun town bike, absolute maximum braking performance isn't too big of a deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    F, this snow is delaying my frame shipment!!! In any event, will arrive within 24 hours... waiting anxiously...