Got The Life
    May 2010

Mythic Commuter - Does it exist???

Lookin for what seems like a mythic commuter/urban bike.........

currently I ride my Niner EMD on a regular urban ride but I'm in the market for a dedicated urban/commuter bike.
    Here's what I think I want -

alum frame with carbon fork, ability to fit big apples or something similarly sized, 1x10 or 2x10 but 9 speed is ok too. Willing to consider a steel frame but not with sliders

everything I see out there thats not custom doesnt seem to fit this criteria.

any ideas? thanks

You will likely have to build it up yourself. No reason you couldn't get what you're asking for that way. After building my commuter exactly how I wanted it, I've decided that's how all my future bikes will be. No more buying complete bikes off the shelf anymore.

I built up a Salsa Vaya as a 1x10 with drops as my commuter. Doesn't have the tire capacity you want, but choosing a 29er frame and carbon 29er fork would address the clearance concerns well enough.

Got The Life
    May 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for something pre-built to keep the budget in line but you may be right.

I Ride for Donuts
    I've built up two drop-bar 29ers that are everything you describe (except carbon fork...but I have to question that...with Big Apples or similar, an iron fork would be just fine )

I did an Access XCL 9r from Performance Bike ($99 aluminum frame if you catch a sale) with a steel fork I bought in the forum classifieds for $40... built a sweet commuter out of that. Currently on a Surly Ogre frame/fork, which is steel with sliding dropouts.

You can build this mythical bike for pretty cheap.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Got The Life
    May 2010
    Thanks CommuterBoy....I've seen your Access pics. nice ride for sure. After building the Niner up I know the costs can get away from me. plus I have the 'want it right away' bug

Got The Life
    May 2010
    Looking a little closer at the Access frame, Commuterboy. This could be the solution. Big tires on an alum frame with mtb geometry is what I'm after. Any idea what the biggest chain ring I can run on the XCL? I'd want to run a 1x9 set up with something like a 46 or 48 chainring.

I Ride for Donuts
    You can run a 50 tooth, but it's gonna be close

I ran mine like this for over a year with no issues... this is with 2 spacers on the drive side of the BB:

Mythic Commuter - Does it exist???-clearance.jpg

I have 2 of these frames in the 21" size...willing to part with one if you're interested. PM me.

damn, CB, that's tight.

Got The Life
    May 2010
    whoa that is right on the chainstay......wonder if a 48/34 would have any more clearance. But if you didnt have any issues then 50t does work.

I was thinking a 19" would fit me best but I'm not sure. I'm 5'9" - 5'10" with a 32 inseam (maybe). I ride a large Niner EMD now.

Try an online fit calculator. I have made extensive use of the Wrenchscience one over the years. Both for myself and my wife, and so far it has been very helpful. Between the two of us, we've spent about $4,000 on bikes we haven't ridden based on the recommendations from the fit calculator there, and aside from minor tweaks, the recommendations have been spot on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Glory View Post
    Lookin for what seems like a mythic commuter/urban bike.........

currently I ride my Niner EMD on a regular urban ride but I'm in the market for a dedicated urban/commuter bike.
    Here's what I think I want -

alum frame with carbon fork, ability to fit big apples or something similarly sized, 1x10 or 2x10 but 9 speed is ok too. Willing to consider a steel frame but not with sliders

everything I see out there thats not custom doesnt seem to fit this criteria.

any ideas? thanks
    This might be an option. Full bike or frameset.
    Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Liberty 2 | Save up to 60% off new road bikes

Save up to 60% off new Road Bike framesets - Gravity Liberty Framesets | Save up to 60% off new road bikes

Kev

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    damn, CB, that's tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Glory View Post
    whoa that is right on the chainstay......wonder if a 48/34 would have any more clearance. But if you didnt have any issues then 50t does work.

I was thinking a 19" would fit me best but I'm not sure. I'm 5'9" - 5'10" with a 32 inseam (maybe). I ride a large Niner EMD now.

Yeah I was gonna put some tape in there or something to protect the frame, but it wouldn't fit I was waiting for carnage, but it never presented a problem. No scratches on the frame in that location to this day. That frame is my current singlespeed.

I think a 48 would fit pretty good.

Major, I'm 6'2"+. You don't want a 21". Thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

I got nothin'
    Another option: I built up a Salsa Vaya also, but used 650b wheels with 2.1 wide tires. It's a really fun drop bar urban, commuter, cross, touring bike. I also have a set of 700c wheels with 32s for touring duty. Slightly lighter than a hardtail 29er type of scenario.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    are you interested in building a bike with drop bars or some sort of flat bar? are you more interested in a road/touring bike or a mountain/urban bike? I was going to suggest a CX/ gravel/ all-road bike like the Trek Crossrip. there are a bunch of bikes like that coming out lately. Novara just jumped on the bandwagon with the Zealo as well. if you really want a carbon fork, get something steel and replace the carbon fork later.