I reckon y'all fixin to..

New question here. Mysterious flat...

Hello all. I figured this would be the best place to ask this question because as of now, the only riding my bike has done is to commute to work and to do errands around town.

Here in Northern Nevada the cold fall weather is upon us. We've been topping off at about 50 degrees for the last week or so.

I call this a "mysterious flat" because I am not sure what happened. I have checked to make sure I have no punctures, there's no thorns or nails or screws sticking out of my tires, and I have done nothing to cause a pinch flat or anything like that. Like I said, I have been riding 99.9% on pavement and haven't run over any glass or anything like that.

My tires are brand new Bontrager Connection trail B for like a hybrid road/trail tires. With brand new tubes. I have had them on for about a week and a half.

Anyway, last night I fortunately had to go out for a last minute trip to the store and realized my back tire was mostly flat. Not like flat flat, to the ground, but probably 80% flat.

Two things were solved here that I can say "fortunately". One was that my small hand pump sucks and needs to be thrown away. Two was that I would have been really distressed this morning if I had found it flat instead of last night.

I walked it down to the nearest AM/PM and paid $.75 to use the air compressor for about 5 seconds to fill the air back up in the tire. When I woke up this morning, the tire was still as full as it was last night and I rode to work with no problem.

Now, does anyone know how this could have happened? I know I probably should know something about air temperature and tire pressure from some high school science class, but I cannot recall. An answer to this question and some suggestions as to how to avoid this would help. I figure I could bring the bike inside, but I'd like to have a valid weather related issue to justify this. Thanks.
    "Good health is the slowest possible way one can die."

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Make sure the valve core is tight. Sometimes the tube valve core will leak because they are loose or don't seat properly.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

weirdo
    Hey, GichuOne- how` it going? Did you get your bike to stop falling apart or replace it yet? If not, I see that the C.L. selection is pretty good this week- a couple of good buys right up the hill from you in South Tahoe.

About your tire, check what Fred told you about and if that`s good, I`d pull the tubes out again and check them in water and double check the insides of the tire both by eye and by Braile. If you still don`t find anything, just cross your fingers and keep a good eye on them for a while- I`ve had self fixing mystery flats too. Who knows what happened.

Yeah, you really need a good pump. I got lucky with my first one, used it for years on the trail as well as at home. Later I bought a second of the same model and it was a piece of junk. Then I bought one that everybody raved about and didn`t really like it, got a cheap no-name pump off the shelf at my LBS and it works as good as my original favorite. The moral of my story: it`s gonna be a good pump for you or it won`t and it doesn`t seem to matter much what other people say about that model or what it costs. It sucks spending your dough stuff that doesn`t work right, but some times it`s the only way to end up with a good product. By the way, I DO recomend that you shell out $30 or so for a nice floor pump when you have a little cash to spare. I did without one for ages and didn`t miss it, now that I have one I don`t want to do without again.

Hey. Thanks for the replies. I will check the valve core to make sure all is good.

I DID finally replace my bike. Alumni came through in a big way with a Giant Iguana frame for me. Had good shifters, derailleurs, v-brakes, bottom bracket, crankset, saddle and rims. I had it in the shop to get the new tires/tubes, new chain and new grips. Rollin' like a champ now. Still have some old decals to replace and then I will have some pics up.

He also hooked me up with an old Diamond Back he had too which, once I can get some other things in order I will be most likely be making that into a SS rig. Been thinking about making it my more "snow worthy" setup. We'll see if the stars align correctly and I can gather the funds to do so.

I Ride for Donuts
    Where are you in northern Nevada? I'm in Northeastern CA, so basically the same high desert/woods situation....we have goatheads. Goatheads are the worst. They look like this:

Except the head will break off and just leave the virutally invisible needle part poking down through the tire and the tube. It seals itself fairly well, but air will slowly, sometimes very slowly, leak out. The only way to find them is to take the tube out and feel along the inside of the tire. Then you have to use pliers or something to get the needle part out before you patch the tube and re-install.

I have had what you describe happen several times, and it has never NOT been a goathead.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Where are you in northern Nevada? I'm in Northeastern CA, so basically the same high desert/woods situation....we have goatheads. Goatheads are the worst. They look like this:

Except the head will break off and just leave the virutally invisible needle part poking down through the tire and the tube. It seals itself fairly well, but air will slowly, sometimes very slowly, leak out. The only way to find them is to take the tube out and feel along the inside of the tire. Then you have to use pliers or something to get the needle part out before you patch the tube and re-install.

I have had what you describe happen several times, and it has never NOT been a goathead.
    I'm in Cartoon (Carson) City. I have seen those goatheads around, but as far as I know I haven't run any over. I haven't had the chance to check everything over yet, but I will if and when I see the issue continuing.

Thanks for the info.