~ B A D A S S ~

Good job! my new monster road commuter

Allright its almost done now. I'm gonna post some pics of my new commuter i just built.

The purpose of this one was build a very comfortable drop bar bike that also takes ice spikers for the winter.
    At first i wanted to get a Shand cross frame but I figured I could build up my chromag sakura I had laying around instead and save like 1500.

I had been accumulating parts for about 4 years before I actually built it.

Frame and fork: Chromag sakura, Surly 1x1. painted in orange polyurethane.

Drivetrain: Its a 1x6 speed with 8sp spacing/cassettes currently 12-28, slx 3x10 cranks with blackspire 42t dh ring, and a ground down 46t ring as chainguard, tiagra short cage rd, shifter xtr 9sp, bb xtr. Brass spacers, kmcs x8-99 8sp chain. Straitline pedals.

Wheels: True precision stealth hubs, dt comp black spokes, black brass nipples, dt ex500/400 rims, schalbe marathon supreme 2,0 rear and Conti contact2 1,75 front. nipples and spokes were prepped with molycoat before i built them and it seemed to work out nice. BB7 road brakes and slx 180/160 discs.

cockpit/controls/other: zipp short and shallow bar, cane creek 40 headset/short levers, thomson elite post and selle italia slr saddle with cutout, salsa clamp, jagwire cables and housings, jtek shiftmate, topeak mondo xl bag, pragmasis 11mm chain with squire closed shackle padlock (2,6kg total).

The bike weighs about 11kg without the lock and is totally silent. Stable and confidence inspiring at scary speeds and very comfortable. Has what appears to be unlimited tire grip and good brake power/modulation. The shifting is flawless and silent.

More pics can be found here Best custom painters?
    Project XTR Strada

my new monster road commuter-bike4.jpg
    my new monster road commuter-bike5.jpg
    my new monster road commuter-bike6.jpg
    my new monster road commuter-bike7.jpg
    my new monster road commuter-bike8.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

I Ride for Donuts
    Sweet. I like how the seat matches

Will be fun with the studs this winter!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

~ B A D A S S ~
    Nothing really matches, If something was available in other colors than black i went for that color, and if there was several i went for the one on sale/cheapest otherwise I just picked at random

It rides really nice. Before I had a good speced rigid Avalanche but this one is much better, somehow its stiff but springy on the bumps and I don't know but resonances and such from the road and small bumps seems to travel in another way through the bike, don't know if its the frame or the ultra beefyness of all components that makes it feel like solid chunk of metal.

The whole bike was built for robustness, durability and longevity so I pretty much researched (for several years combined) and chose the beefiest, strongest and most durable stuff I could find without going to simply just overly heavy and crappy stuff. Not one single part was chosen for light weight, actually I don't know the weight of a single component except those that was obvious and "in your face" such as the rims and frame.
    I wanted the frame and fork to be the only components of the bike to flex. I run the tires at max pressure.

Really like how the bike behaves even though it looks extremely weird but it looks that way for a reason, the drop bar, and that I only ride it in the drops and all controls and their positions obviously reflect this.

Gonna put some fenders on soon, good lights and time trial levers are on their way, and this week I have to find a supplier of freshly made nokians. Been running schwalbe ice spikers for the last 5years but this time I'm getting nokians, iirc those were much much better allround on ice and snow. Just felt I could push the bike harder with those but my memory might be playing tricks on me. I don't know. All i remember is that used to be able to ride as fast as I could through the city in the winter without crashing with nokians, the schwalbes felt more sluggish and "aim first then pedal" kinda.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    What're you doing for the stem? Is that a 40mm stem with a really big spacer stack?

Just this weekend I was messing around putting dropbars on my 29er. I'm using a cheap 35deg stem I've got, but was playing with a reach calculator to try to decide if a 40mm might be better.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Its the shortest and most angled stem i could find. 35mm 10deg I believe. race face diabolus d2 limited edition graphics and yes there is a really high stack of brass spacers there.

I would suggest getting one of those adjustable angle stems to test with, bbb makes them, i have a really short one.

One important thing with the bars is the distance from the stem to the bottom of the drops, I have 125 or 128mm I believe and the reach is short 80mm or so. But getting less drop would be unpractical, but like 170 and similar would be not so smart sine the drops get 40mm lower then

I have also noticed that the actual angle of the long end pieces of the bar makes a huge difference to the comfort. And if I could choose another bar now when i have tried one I would have gotten a bar with longer completely straight endpieces than this bar has.

I have the Zipp service course (non sl) short and shallow.
    Mine looks kinda like this or possibly exactly like this

my new monster road commuter-service-course-sl80-beyond-black.jpg

But this would be better imo in retrospect due to more/longer usable straight real estate in the drops

my new monster road commuter-service-course-sl88-beyond-black.jpg

Get a cheap bar first to test with, its highly unlikely you will keep it in the long run anyway, its just to understand what you really want and it takes a week or 2 of riding to find out imo. test different angles first, and don't be afraid to do large angular adjustments.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    I've got on-one midge dirtdrops, which have pretty shallow drops. I think I probably wouldn't mind going a little lower if I could shorten the reach a bit. The problem is that going from a 90mm 35deg stem to a ~35mm stem shortens the reach by 1" but drops the bars by 2", and that might be a bit much. My setup is okay as is, but it's always fun to consider options.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Oh and another thing I noticed when experimenting was that I always felt like I wanted to move backwards on the saddle or move it back as far as I could and I was maxed out as it was.
    I set it up as I would have on a mtb with regular bars. But when I was maxed out as far back as I could I instead tilted it nose down, raised it, and moved it forward instead. Then it all started to get comfortable, it took me a few rides to figure this out. And over like a week of small adjustments its now really good.

This makes a very big difference on how the bars feel, their position, drop and reach and so on. All this has to work together.

I would suggest playing with this too. You are basically rotating your body down a few degrees.

Specialized sucks ass.