mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Smile My First Snow Day Commute

So after reading the "The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread", I decided to continue to ride even as the temperature continued to go south. Today, it started snowing shortly after I woke up and I didn't even think twice about riding my bike into work (6 Hilly Miles). I'm in the military, so the cold weather by itself has never been an issue. I've been on some operations in some pretty miserable weather. Plus, I have all kind of gear that was issued to me which I can use to stay cozy on my commute. The thing that I wasn't expecting was for my cable which controls my rear derailleur to start retracting because of the cold weather. It was about 30F on my ride in this morning and about 3 or 4 miles into my commute I noticed that my lowest gear started skipping (jumping back and forward from the lowest and second lowest gear). Then about a mile after that, the same thing happened with the second lowest gear. I just road in higher gears and I made it to work just fine, but I never thought that the temperature would directly effect the bike that much. I was always only concerned with the road conditions.

Has anyone else ever experienced this phenomenon? If so, what did you do about it? I've already decided that I'm going to start leaving about 10 minutes earlier than usual when it is extremely cold.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Okay, I feel like an idiot. I figured out what happend. I just need to adjust my rear derailleur. The way I had it set, it was just making the lowest gear without skipping which was fine until today. Today's shrinking of the cable caused it to pull between the gears on the two lowest gears. For whatever reason, there is more play once you get into the higher gears so it stopped jumping around once I got out of the lowest two gears. Hopefully the ride home and tomorrow's ride will be uneventful.

Frt Range, CO
    I hope you're at least 6 weeks ahead of me, I just had my first sub 40*F commute yesterday. What tires are you running in the snow?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm in South Central Germany. Right now I'm running on some Hybrid (Commuter/MTB) tires. My ride is 98 percent bike trail though. I'm going to have to start looking for better tires if I'm going to continue riding in the snow.

mtbr member
    Time to go single speed...