Thread: My first rack

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

My first rack

So I am finally tired of wearing a backpack on my commute.
    I have a generic rear rack that seams fairly sturdy.
    I mounted it but am curious why most of these racks do not have a solid flat surface on top. I don't like the idea of the pannier bags but do like the idea of those bags that fit on top of the rack.
    Anyway, I am going to make my own rack top out of cedar and stain and varnish it, (got the idea after seeing some awesome wooden fenders) secure it with some metal mirror hangers
    around the rack top rails and fore and aft, use steel hose clamp to secure some small carabingers to the same rails for strap holders.
    I think this would open up a lot more options for carrying different type loads.

Has anyone made something like this for their racks?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You've got to keep the weight low for stability. It'll work, sure, but anything over 15-20lbs is going to become unstable fast, making it less pleasant to ride.

Ortlieb Rolltops F/R with Surly Nice Racks for me.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Yeah...I dabble with that sort of thing. When you are ready for some fenders, give out a shout. If you want something along the lines/color of your cedar, I make some beautiful red pine fenders.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

Birthday Collector
    As long as you use the wood mainly as a "fender"-type protector, or a shelf, to keep the item(s) on top of the rack from getting wet, or intruding down towards the tire, you should be fine. Make sure whatever you are using to attach the straps/bungees/etc... affixes to the metal portion of the rack, in case the wood should crack you don't as easily lose the item or have it go into your wheel, etc... Could definitely look really cool though! Some of those wood fenders are gorgeous.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Wooden fenders are next on my list.
    I just love the way the look.
    Times are tight but I am trying to get a little freelance work to pay for 'em
    or maybe Santa will get me some.