mtbr member

My F150 is Cheaper to Drive!

So, In an effort to save up some cash, I've decided to commute in and pack my lunch everyday. I typically commute a few times a week, but I decided to try everyday.

Well, the last 4 of 5 days have ended with FLATS! My V8 F150 costs $2 a day in gas to drive to work, by bike is currently costing me $4 a day. Oh the irony.

Anyhow, I need to render this situation. I have checked the tires and have pulled chit out of them every time.

I'm running Panaracer Pasela 32c tires. Should I:

- Run StopFlat strips
    - Switch to something like Conti GatorSkins?

I was also considering switching to tubeless with the Hutchinson tires and a Stan's kit.

Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Continental Top Contacts or Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Slime tubes. I haven't had a flat in years, and my ride is 75% glass, nails, and splintered pallets.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Carry a spare tube and buy a patch kit. When you get home patch the tube with the hole in it and put it on your bike to reuse. I patch my tubes four times and chuck them on the 5th flat.

Added on edit: I run gatorskins and go thousands of miles between flats.

One Colorful Rider
    I've never had a good experience with panaracer tires
    I've run two different tires and go flats early in start of running them

Heres a Specialized All Condition Pro Tire 700x23 with 4100 miles on it
    I went to go air up my tire and saw this and I though maybe I should replace it. it was still holding air!

4100 mile Tire

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of Specialized Tires with the flak jacket (not the armadillo's, those suck out loud).
    :wq

College Boy
    do not forgot that the truck cost more than just gas. You have to account for the wear and tear on it as well. This means you need to add in the replacement cost of the tires per mile along with the cost of brake and oil.

My guess when it is all said and done your truck cost you about 20-30 cents per mile to drive.

mtbr member
    Well, with fuel prices right now, it's costing about $0.25 a mile... just for fuel.
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    I calculated my Ranger 4 L V6 as over $.50 a mile before the fuel cost increase. But I feel the pain. Flats are no fun.

I also found the normal Passelas not so good flat wise. The Tourguard Versions in 32 mm I am running now on my good bike had one flat with a 1" roofing nail which was a bear to pull back out of the belt! The sidewalls are vulnerable to broken bottle bottoms if you get surprised while watching a driver who is of concern (happend on first ride with the non-tourguard 28 mm version).

I don't use Pasella TGs on my commuter, though. It has heavy (circa 800 gm) Michelin City Tires with reflective band, which are pretty decent and cheaper than the Passella Tourguards, with some pretty patches of glass under their treads in the few hundred miles I've had them but not enough miles for me to be trump Schwalbe Marathons or Norm's recommendation. If you want to read up on some of the Schwalbe tires especilly actual sizes, try www.rivbike.com.

Meanwhile congrats on giving it a go, and I hope you find the tires that will do for you.

Brian.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Slime tubes.
    Winner. I use this combo, and I don't carry a pump or patch kit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    yea u need to get a better tire and some slime tubes and a thorn strip ......its funny i have a sweet o7 silverado and all i want is a ht700 or a tallon 1 go figure

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Vittoria's have been the best for me for avoiding flats. You can also learn how to patch your tubes. Get the permanent type with the vulcanizing compound.

ride the moment
    I ride through the industrial part of town and there's often staples, glass, etc. in the road. After 2 weeks of constant flats starting right after I moved in, I bought some Forte Metro K tires from Performance Bike for $15 each. They have a kevlar liner and roll very nice. I have yet to get another flat from puncture. I did pinch flat but that was the result of complete jackassery on my part.

Also, learn to patch your tubes. I personally just use the little peel-off sticker patches and have never had an issue. I just clean the tube and scuff it with sand paper and then put the sticker on. Some people don't like them, but I use them regularly and have never had one come loose.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

PRETENDURO
    LOL! No mention about insurance or registration costs… nor any mention of repair costs for said FORD vehicle. This all ADD(lol)s up. Every vehicle I’ve ever owned required visits to shops/mechanics, even though I was well-versed in repairing most problems myself (ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings, struts, shocks, timing belts, pistons/rings, head gaskets, water pumps, swaybars, etc.). Be a good boy and get some Panaracer Felted Kevlar tire liners ($16 - 20 each) so as to avoid flats, you’ll be happy you did.

Oh, and 1 can of pinto beans = 40 miles on a bike @ roughly $0.69can, whereas your FORD vehicle uses what now, 8 miles per one gallon of roughly expensive petroleum product??? Just a thought, I am trying to help you understand where there could be some loopholes in your logic.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

eschewing obfuscation
    first, conti gator skins rock. lots and lots of commuter miles; no flats.
    second, not sure commuting to save $ makes sense anyway. it makes sense in tons of other ways - don't get me wrong - but saving money may not be among them.
    consider the cost of food - if one burns an extra thousand calories on one's commute, versus a few burned driving - you've gotta replace them with food. assuming you don't eat pork rinds, it gets expensive.
    in any event, go gator-skins, i say.
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

Rolling
    Pretty much all cars in the long run cost about $.50 per mile to drive--trucks even more. If you are really frugal, buying a reliable used small car with minimal insurance and some luck, you can get the costs down to about $.30 per mile.

I think you have to try really hard to make bike commuting cost more...like buying a new, expensive bike every year, replacing those extra calories you burn with expensive food.....

Moderator Moderator
    That sounds bad. I would take it back to the bike shop & insist on trading it in for something that gets better mileage.