mtbr member

Music while riding?

Does anyone use an ipod, or other music device while comuting? I have never really been a fan of having ear buds in while riding, but I was curious how others feel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Music is right there with cycling as far as my favorite things go, but I don't like to mix the two. I listen to music right up to the point where I get on my bike, but not on my bike. I like tuning into everything around me while riding.

The sound of the bike giving feedback, the sound of the truck barreling down on me, the sound of the moose crashing through the brush. I think the sounds are important, and I enjoy them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I do it once in a while, and it is such a blast!!Of course it depends where you are riding, and what the conditions are, but the way i see it is that people are in their cars with music on.I mean, just being in a car you can hear less whats going on than a cyclist with earbuds.Add to that a sound system of several hundred watts, and engine reving, noisy exhaust...

No-Brakes Cougar
    I love music, but I need to be able to tune into what's going on around me. That's why I hate hybrid cars, they sneak up behind you silently! And the people that drive them usually drive worse than people in non-hybrid cars, so you have to really be on the look-out. There are other typical sounds on the road that keep me amused, like the strange "gagging" sound that rocks make when they get kicked up into my fenders. Or the sound of car brakes screeching up ahead as the roadie who just blew past you at the stop sign encounters some guy in a Prius who also thinks he's the only person on the planet.

Off the road I simply enjoy the sounds of nature. I'm usually to busy concentrating to pay attention to music anyway.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    It's actually illegal (on city streets anyway) to do so where I live, and most likely everywhere else too, so I don't.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    I listen to music while riding but realize i should not because i could really get run over and i dont wear a helmet.
    im not very safety conscious .
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Since I wear a camelbak, I bought the little matching phone holder which puts my phone on the left shoulder strap. Put a 4GB micro SD card in my phone filled with mp3s, put the phone's music player on medium volume, and I can cruise all day with tunes, while still hearing EVERYTHING around me. No cables to worry about either. Of course it's not perfect sound quality or tonally balanced, but it's much appreciated over silence or car engines.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here we go again with this topic...everyone has their opinion and are entitled to them...mine is JUST SAY NO!!! (to headpdones, earbuds, etc.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    For a while, I attached one of these to my stem with velcro and foam padding:

It actually worked pretty well, but I would feel weird approaching pedestrians or other bikers from behind with my music blasting (I primarily ride on designated bike/jogging paths). Eventually, I went back to earbuds.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    You cannot say listing to music while ridding your bike is a universally bad recipe.

Under certain conditions I very much enjoy to listen to music while bike riding. These conditions are pretty much when I am on my road bike on a unpopular or empty trail (paved/limestone).

Never on the streets or while mtb'ing for me. But I almost need music while on a "road" bike because it can get so boring sometimes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    as the roadie who just blew past you at the stop sign encounters some guy in a Prius who also thinks he's the only person on the planet.
    LOL

Thinking about this a little more, I think trying to simplify the whole riding experience as much as possible has made it more enjoyable for me as well. Dealing with any kind of extra stuff like mp3 players kinda takes the fun out of it (for me).

I Ride for Donuts
    I listen to my iPod every day on my commute home...sometimes in the morning, but I usually just suck up the tranquility of my morning ride. On the way home, I'm ready to blow off the day of work by putting the hammer down to a little 3 doors down or metallica.

That said, I live in a very rural area, and 5.8 my 6 mile commute is on two lane country road or dirt road. There are zero intersections or street lights between my work and my house.

...but I still feel like I can hear cars coming up behind me pretty well. I probably have a bit less warning, but I hear them LONG before they go by.

I have no issues riding with my iPod. I probably wouldn't do it if I lived in a city, but I've done it every day for the past 4 years or so, and I've never even had a potential close call because of it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I usually ride with my iPod with only one bud in my ear... I find that it helps the time pass on my hour commute. In addition, I wear an IRONMAN watch with an iPod remote. It comes in really handy in many situations.

I've also tried the BMX helmets with the built in speakers. Completely ugly, but doesn't drown the sound at all...

jfk
    mtbr member

being my first post on this forum I doubt my opinion matters

I do the one earbud thing often, but not always. Most of the time I am listening to podcasts or books on tape rather than music. I have not failed to hear a car yet, but other cyclists are too quiet for me to hear.

Is it a distraction, yea probably. Honestly though (admitting that I am a tremondous geek) I will probably day dream my way into writing code in my head if I don't listen to my iPod... which sometimes might be more dangerous to me.

As for enjoying the ride, I find I look forward to my books on tape just as much as the ride. Commuting it somewhat montonous by nature. When hiking up a hill I might pop in my iPod to distract me because I am no longer enjoying the hike while I sweat it up a hill. But, if I'm above treeline I won't it distracts me. If I'm mountain biking I won't, because it distracts me. I can't imagine rock climbing while listening to the iPod. Then again if I have my car on the race track I won't listen to music either (not that I would hear it anyway).

I guess whatever you're cool with. But if I can hear your music as you pass by, then I would probably jump to the conclusion in my mind that you shouldn't be listening to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic
    You cannot say listing to music while ridding your bike is a universally bad recipe.

Under certain conditions I very much enjoy to listen to music while bike riding. These conditions are pretty much when I am on my road bike on a unpopular or empty trail (paved/limestone).

Never on the streets or while mtb'ing for me. But I almost need music while on a "road" bike because it can get so boring sometimes.
    I agree 100% with that

When I ride mountain, I dont really like to listen to music, but on certain road conditions (i.e. those that arent tottally dangerous and more of the ones such u stated) I absolutly Have to, otherwise i get too bored.

mtbr member
    I recently started driving again (not by choice) and I have to say that talking to a passenger is WAY more distracting to me then listening to npr on my iPodlike device while biking. True, bicyclists would sneak up on me but I never had any trouble tuning out the radio when I needed to pay attention to traffic. Conversation requires more attention.

I rode b/w 50 and 100 miles a week like this and never really had a problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I use Sansa Shaker MP3 player. It is attached to the stem using a couple of rubber band.
    I used to carry a pocket radio with external speaker to listen to a local AM radio station but the radio doesn't work in the cold weather. This MP3 player was bought from a drug store for $10. It uses a 512 MB SD card for MP3 files and it sometimes truns off by itself when I ride on bumpy road. It has an external speaker and pretty good to listen to podcast or songs. I think it is not too bad MP3 player for the price . Please note that the sound of this player is pretty crappy on bike if you are a real music fan

mtbr member
    I have never listened to music on my bike, either commuting, road riding or hammering trails. When I am out on the road I find myself constantly listening for cars all around me- those coming behind me or toward an intersection. Matter of fact, I typically hear a car first, then glance to the mirror to see where it is. I am pretty solemn about my music listening and only do it when I am reading, writing, relaxing or something like that. I hate having people sneak up on me.

I like listening to music, but only when doing stationary or very simple tasks. A few times I have worn them when out running, but I feel that overall there is much less going on when you are trotting along at a rhythmic 8 MPH or whatever it is and just kind of zoning out. I can multitask just fine, but I just concentrate the best when its silent. It seems like my ears go into overdrive when I am alert and they are searching for any noise they can hear- the bike creaking, the world around me or whatever. I am one of those people that turns the radio down when looking for a street sign because it helps me concentrate. I also typically cant stand talking on the phone and doing another task (even driving).

I see people walking around with earbuds jammed in their ears 24/7 now and I wonder how they can manage to do it- shopping and everything else. Music is one of my passions, but I dont like it that much.

That said, I have considered sticking in ONE earbud on really long and boring road rides before just to give me something else to keep me from getting bored, but I think if I end up trying that I will only use them in one ear and very, very quietly.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

jrm
    mtbr member

I've tried it a couple of times

Quote Originally Posted by jarrod7219
    Does anyone use an ipod, or other music device while comuting? I have never really been a fan of having ear buds in while riding, but I was curious how others feel.
    even with only one ear bud in too. Wasnt for me.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Ah, the dead horse has been dragged out again for a beating.

Get Slipstreamz if you want to listen while riding. You hear music + traffic/trail noise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    nope. it may be the only time I won't listen to music. IMO it ruins the riding experience and being outdoors.
    (but that's just me)

Ovaries on the Outside
    Yeah, this is getting beat death. I listen to music as loudly as possible on my commute because it makes the commute awesome. Don't know why. I don't listen to music when I run and please don't listen to music on the trails so we don't have head on collision.

Hearing on the commute is overrated. Just pay attention and look aboot.

Blind biker
    I wear headphones when Im out riding mostly as entertainment or get me moving as most of my music(95%) is techno/dance. After riding a route 2 times it just gets too boring and its the only way so no alternative routes.