Thread: mp3 speaker

mtbr member

mp3 speaker

I will not wear headphones while commuting and currently use the internal speaker on my phone to listen to music on my commute. The speaker is barely loud enough to hear, but any wind or car noise and its useless. I saw a guy last week with a small lunchbox sized cooler speaker strapped to his rack that it was perfect. I've searched for cooler speaker plans online, but run into large units. Anyone build something like this or have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Put the media player in a paper or plastic cup and see if that works well enough for what you want.

Cover for a CD spindle works too.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Yes, there is an integrated bike light and MP3 player that a buddy of mine uses. I'll go hunt down the model and edit this post.

EDIT: Acouztic XAC-1000 | Xceon

This is pretty loud. I don't know how loud his is in terms of volume range (max, min, somewhere in between), but 70 dB is about the range that you want to have it at. For reference, 70dB is as loud as a vacuum cleaner, and generally when I was doing my communications degree I considered ~70-75dB to be my own personal sweet spot:
    Passenger car at 65 mph at 25 ft (77 dB); freeway at 50 ft from pavement edge 10 a.m. (76 dB). Living room music (76 dB); radio or TV-audio, vacuum cleaner (70 dB). Arbitrary base of comparison. Upper 70s are annoyingly loud to some people.

He also was operating it wearing gloves when I saw him last, and it carries a IPX7 waterproof rating, so it's winter friendly.
    Last edited by hunter006; 12-17-2012 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Adding light model & feedback on the mp3 speaker itself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Any idea on how bright that thing is?

Personally I just use a single earbud, put in the ear that's away from traffic and keep the volume high enough to hear but not loud enough to block out any noises.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I found a Podio handlebar speaker and light at bikepakmart. I just upload mp3s on it and make sure to charge it before I ride. a bit pricey at 60.00, however, I haven't seen anything like this in-stores so it's a fun gadget to have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've also seen some pod-like handlebar speakers that are about the size of a PSP case, you can fit miscellaneous items or your mp3 player in them,the speaker is only on the lid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

mtbr member
    thanks for all the ideas! I found this little piece o' crap at walmart in the impulse buy section checking out. https://www.getboomcube.com/IDVBC/1.0000/index.dtm it was only $9.99 so I thought I would give it a try. So far I'm pretty happy. The sound is good, it's more than loud enough. It recharges on a USB port, but it doesn't have a strong battery life.

jrm
    mtbr member
    BUMP -

So how are you guys mounting these speakers so its not offensive to everyone around you.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So... how about something like Amazon.com: Tunebug SH-0000-01 Shake Portable Surface Sound Speaker - Retail Packaging - White: Cell Phones & Accessories ? Directs audio more down into your brain-zone rather than out into the world at large.

Or if you want to go more DIY maybe Amazon.com: Vibe It: Portable Sound System That Turns Ordinary Objects Into a Speaker; Model VIMB10 Black: Toys & Games and some way to attach the amplifier?

I'm amazed I even found one that's made to attach to a helmet.
    Last edited by Sanath; 05-16-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: fixing a link

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    BUMP -

So how are you guys mounting these speakers so its not offensive to everyone around you.
    I carry a small speaker inside the pannier and point it towards me. It doesn't have too much power behind it, so it's only audible out to maybe 10 ft. Beyond that, it would have to be really quiet to hear it otherwise it gets drowned out by noise from cars.

The power requirement for the speaker sytem is around 700mW, so it's not a lot of power to begin with.