Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mk9
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mountain bike commuter

Anyone use a stock or modified mountain bike for commuting?
    I had a 1999 Specialized Rock hopper Pro with a Surly 1X1 fork and Nimbus Armadillos.
    Since someone decided they needed to liberate my bike, I'm now looking for another.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ride a 2005 RM Element FS with 1.25 inch slicks in the summer and 1.95 inch studs in the winter.

90-130mm Talus Fork with the lockout and a RP3. 46/32/22...11/34.

I also ride the bike in the mountains with 2.35 inch knobbies.

The bike just crossed 40,000 km.

I Ride for Donuts
    Check out the 'post your commuter photos' thread... you will get tons of ideas.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Yo.
    I have a stumpjumper sport set up for commuting. Mostly stock components, right down to the tomaselli grips, but new crossroads tires and thorn proof tubes. Added a rear rack and fenders, front and rear lights, coffee cup holder and a bell. Good to go on the streets, MUT, and occasional singletrack foray
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've been commuting on an MTB for the last 10 years. The last 4 years I put 1.5 street tires (Nimbus Sport), but the first 6 were on 2" knobbies. An old rigid steel bike makes a great commuting platform; cheap and sturdy.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mk9 View Post
    Anyone use a stock or modified mountain bike for commuting?

Since someone decided they needed to liberate my bike, I'm now looking for another.
    Yeah, most of us do at least some of our commutes on mtb, some do all of them.

Sorry about the liberation

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Another recent thread on the topic:
    Commuting: Mountain Bike or Road Bike

My dedicated commuter is my old mountain bike with road tires. It was one of the best choices I've made. It let me keep using a bike I love AND it let me get a FS mountain bike.

mtbr member
    I threw on a Topeak rack, two sets of bar ends, pair of 40mm Kendras, and lights on my mtb and commute. I can pull off everything but the tires in less than 10 min to hit the trails.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    my commute for now is a RM vertex team and love it, i'm new at it...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Salsa El Mariachi for my commute. 8 miles old unimproved double track road with 2 stream crossings, 5 miles graded dirt road with washboard from hell, 7 miles pavement, 1 mile single track. Only possible during warmer months though.....sigh.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Over the years I have commuted on specialized hard rock, rock hopper and Gary fisher Aquila. Biggest problem I had was being first one at the office during snow/ice storms.

Will admit commutes on road/track bikes had faster pace but when weather turns bad having MTB was a plus.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I ride a Marin Point Reyes which is basically a mountain bike with a carbon fork and street tires. The geometry is basically the same as that of a 29er bike otherwise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I used to commute with a Mid 90's Trek 970.....

mtbr member
    I'm on a trek 6000 and it has been great

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Picked up a Trek 4300 2009, just slapped on Specialized Flak Jackets 1.25's, Sonoma Gel seat and Bontrager Evoke RL Grips. Looking at an upgraded Stem, seatpost and possibly going to 31.8 handlebars

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Funny you should ask. About 20 years ago, I already had 3 bikes but they were all lousy for commuting. 2 road bikes and a mountain bike. I decided to build myself a custom commuter.

I bought a mountain bike frame from a shop that someone stripped for parts - $150. Then I coated the inside with linseed oil and left it hanging in the garage for 2 months over the summer until the oil dried - rust proofing - you never know. Then I built up the bike up with older mtn bike components off the Cannondale I ride. I put on drop handlebars from a road bike and bar-end shifters ($80). I wanted to put on road STI brake shifters, but they were too expensive at that time ($500+). For tires, I highly recommend Specialized Fat Boys - the only tires that I know that contain a belt and are rated for 100 psi.

I actually have 2 sets of rims - one with slicks and one with mtn bike tires. I take it off road as well. Lot easier to swap rims rather than tires for bad weather or change of riding venue..

Been riding that bike for over 20 years and it rides fast and precise. I can hop curbs like a mtn bike, yet fly down the road like a road bike. The nice thing is that it looks like some kind of a weird road bike, so the bike thieves haven't bothered me much. Looks even weirder with mtn bike tires.

Can't post a picture though - I have it out for servicing. After 20 years of riding and doing my own maintenance, I figured that I better have a pro go over it and strip it down for an overhaul.

The best commuter is one that you create yourself by adding the features you'd think it should have.

mtbr member
    I commute on a Chinese ebay carbon frame mtb. I have 2 wheelsets, 1 for mtn bike rides and for my commutes/road rides I have cheap Nashbar slicks on another wheelset.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
    Funny you should ask. About 20 years ago, I already had 3 bikes but they were all lousy for commuting. 2 road bikes and a mountain bike. I decided to build myself a custom commuter.

I bought a mountain bike frame from a shop that someone stripped for parts - $150. Then I coated the inside with linseed oil and left it hanging in the garage for 2 months over the summer until the oil dried - rust proofing - you never know. Then I built up the bike up with older mtn bike components off the Cannondale I ride. I put on drop handlebars from a road bike and bar-end shifters ($80). I wanted to put on road STI brake shifters, but they were too expensive at that time ($500+). For tires, I highly recommend Specialized Fat Boys - the only tires that I know that contain a belt and are rated for 100 psi.

I actually have 2 sets of rims - one with slicks and one with mtn bike tires. I take it off road as well. Lot easier to swap rims rather than tires for bad weather or change of riding venue..

Been riding that bike for over 20 years and it rides fast and precise. I can hop curbs like a mtn bike, yet fly down the road like a road bike. The nice thing is that it looks like some kind of a weird road bike, so the bike thieves haven't bothered me much. Looks even weirder with mtn bike tires.

Can't post a picture though - I have it out for servicing. After 20 years of riding and doing my own maintenance, I figured that I better have a pro go over it and strip it down for an overhaul.

The best commuter is one that you create yourself by adding the features you'd think it should have.
    That sounds awesome. I'm getting a full suspension trail bike and I'm excited about turning my xc hardtail into a commuter/urban bike.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I plan on commuting half time on my road bike and the other half on a mountain bike.

I will be pulling my kid in a trailer on my mountain bike however.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My commuting bike is a Fuel EX 5, actually it's my "everything" bike because I don't have a car...

My friends always say it is kind of waste to use this thing for commuting though...

Dozer
    I have a 1998 Mongoose Switchback (yeah, back before they were totally crappy) that I rode as a MTB for almost 10 years, then after getting a new MTB I relegated the old 'goose to commuting duties. I tore off all the components, welded disc brake tabs on it (it's a steel frame), had it powdercoated, and converted to 700c wheels. It has gone through several component variations, but currently I'm running a single 39t ring in the front and Sram 9-speed (11-34) in the rear.
    I ride it to work every day.
    Lots and lots of smiles and miles from that old bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Made some other mods.. Bar ends, Body Geometry grips, Thomson seatpost and collar, Crank Bros platform pedals...will post final..

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My Patrol Bike at work... I own this and use it for CSO Bike Patrol. Getting a little rear hub noise, but the bike has been Rock solid since I bought it new in 2003.

mtbr member
    this is mine - an old specialized stumpjumper. still kick ass. saddle since changed to a fizik aliante.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'll have to dig up the pictures, I have a Kona Cinder Cone with a Salsa rigid fork, Soma Clarence bars and a rack and fenders. When the weather is nicer I use my CX bike instead since it's lighter.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast