mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well most disturbing bike commute EVAR!!!

Ok, about three times a week I ride from my house to college. The trip is a little over five miles one way. The good thing is that for most of it (3 miles) I use a fairly new paved bike/ walking path that the city put in.

I took my old Nishiki to school today as I am looking to sell it to a classmate. On the way home I hit the trail or "greenway" as it is called. I toss the bike into 42/11 and just start hammering. I am rolling in the low-mid 20MPH range when I look up and see one of the benches way down the trail has a person lying on it. I get closer and notice that they arent sleeping- they are moving. I get closer and see it is a middle aged man and think he might be having a seizure or something of that nature...

I keep my pace so I can get a better look... then I realize..... OMG. He isnt seizing, he is yanking his crank!!! Right there on the fairly heavily traveled greenway at 2:00 in the afternoon!

With the road tires on my bike and the speed I was moving at he didnt even hear me until I was about 6 feet from him, then he darted up all startled. I have no clue what he did next because I just put my head down and sped up even more.

I should mention that this happened next to a park ironically named "springwood" where they have supposedly been cracking down on males doing sexual favors for other males on the premises. I dunno- but I am sort of freaked out now. I use that path a good bit, but I cant believe some perv would be that brazen. Add to this that the trail is pretty secluded and not around any main roads or anything. Who knows what else he would/ could do.I thought about calling the cops, but I am sure they would laugh and he would be gone when they got there.

Anyway, I had to share this with someone- anyone else had anything disturbing happen on a commute?! Seems a little more common to come across oddballs like this on state park MTB/ hiking trails and whatnot, but a paved walking path in broad daylight really caught me off guard.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

mtbr member
    Nasty, but it always could've been worse.

No-Brakes Cougar
    ROFLMFAO!!!! Well, at least you can't say that it's boring! Like most people, I'm sure that he was completely clueless. Looking around and not seeing anyone in the immediate vicinity at the moment, he probably figured no one in the world was ever going to happen by there as long as he was beating it. Or maybe he was just completely insane. I remember this incident when I was a kid where this guy was beating off while jogging around our neighborhood. Talk about coordination!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    sounds pretty sad. But you've read worse stories, right? A cyclist being followed by a van driver who is 'enjoying the view'.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmsdini
    OMG. He isnt seizing, he is yanking his crank!!! Right there on the fairly heavily traveled greenway at 2:00 in the afternoon!
    ??? Did he seem to be propperly prepared for this task???

No-Brakes Cougar
    ....and I think we have a winner! That was hella funny rodar y rodar!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    LMAO!!!

... not that type of crank unfortunately!!!

Good point- I suppose it always could have been worse. Dude could have been a certified maniac for all I know.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    11 Scott CR1

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I haven't seen any "solo performances," but have seen more than a few couples in flagrante in public places... Just the other night my wife and I were blasting through a neighborhood park and our P7s lit up a young couple jamming out in the grass along the trail. I only had time to snicker "wow, cheap date!" to my wife as we passed...

weirdo
    I came across a couple going at it once while I was on guard duty in the army. We shined our lights on them and they ignored us. I`ve also been stumbled onto. On our honeymon, my wife and I were enjoying ourselves among the boulders next to a little river one night and some lady out for a late night wander almost stepped on us. We ignored her too- what else can you do?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    As you pointed out it was a secluded area, and you came up silently. The guy probably was homeless or lacked options, thought he was alone, and not being a teenager with a cute date, decided to engage in some self-service.

Stuff happens, you don't have to like the view, but in the big picture, no harm - no foul.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    It was secluded from cars, but I would call it "heavily traveled" by foot traffic. I will try to get some pics. Its definitely not "private" by any means.

Also- the guy didnt appear homeless. His clothes were nice and clean and he looked like he was pretty well manicured, etc. That is part of the reason that bothered me even more. He could at least have found a bathroom stall or something.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    11 Scott CR1

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Didn't mean to minimize it, just add some perspective.I guess that 50+ years living and riding in New York thickens the skin somewhat. Like I said; stuff like this happens, and you need to learn to tune it out.

In any case I hope that this remains your most disturbing comute ever.

Count your blessings, bike commuters face lots worse, including; getting robbed at gunpoint, opening car doors, getting turned into at intersections, getting passed too close, and all the plain crazy folks that fill the American landscape.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    What's wrong with doing a little bike maintenance on the side of the road? Brits are odd folks.
    Last edited by CupOfJava; 03-27-2009 at 01:04 PM.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    What's wrong with doing a little bike maintenance on the side of the road? Brits are odd folks.
    you came in a little too late my friend
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    Didn't mean to minimize it, just add some perspective.I guess that 50+ years living and riding in New York thickens the skin somewhat. Like I said; stuff like this happens, and you need to learn to tune it out.

In any case I hope that this remains your most disturbing comute ever.

Count your blessings, bike commuters face lots worse, including; getting robbed at gunpoint, opening car doors, getting turned into at intersections, getting passed too close, and all the plain crazy folks that fill the American landscape.

actually the whole post is very tongue in cheek but I guess my humor doesnt come off too well electronically. Trust me, I have had my share of car doors, idiots yelling, people pulling into me, people cutting me off and cursing me out. My skin is actually pretty thick. I saw quite a bit in Iraq in 2003 that I wish I hadnt. It wasnt my most disturbing commute probably. It was gross for sure, but in the grand scheme of things I rode away just fine. I still wish he would have found a bathroom or something. Just thought I would share my little run in because as we all know, you just cant make up the sort of things you run across on a bike. Trust me, I know its not something earth shattering and I am not traumatized over it by any means

P.S.- cup o' java the dude was choking his chicken and I am from Indiana
    Last edited by Helmsdini; 03-27-2009 at 07:33 PM.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    11 Scott CR1

anyone else smell that?
    springwood, indeed!
    1. Your signature can not be longer than 125 characters.

Graphic Designer
    I hope to god you didn't make eye contact...that would be the worst...

This is why I carry pepper spray...rabid dog, wanking homeless attacker, etc.
    'Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.'
    -Mark Twain