Thread: Mirror Advice

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

Mirror Advice

Now that I am riding my bike to work on a regular basis, I realize that I need a good mirror for safety.

I've seen folks with the type that clip to their glasses or helmet, and the type that clamp onto the handlebars. Before I go shopping, I am looking to learn form your experience. What type of mirror do you use (actual brand name/model will be helpful) and why?

TIA!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I use the take-a-look eyeglass mirror. They also have a helmet adapter if you don't wear glasses.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-O...bxgy_sg_text_b

I like this type because I don't have to look down at my handlebars. I can keep looking forward to traffic ahead, and glance into my mirror and see behind me as well.

BIG and Bald
    Mountain Mirrycle Bar End Mirror...I've used this mirror for 5 years now and I love it. Made my wife try it and she's a die hard fan as well. I have it adjusted to where I can flip it inwards when not in use to keep it out of the way. I've never had any problems with the bolts loosening during riding either. I like the big, round mirror. You can see EVERYthing behind you and it also has a bunch of angle adjustablility to suit different rider preferences.

My bike...

The wife's bike...

[SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The mirrycle mirror is the best.

Find an image of it here: http://www.velocycle.com/index.php?s...pagecourante=7

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBallKY
    Mountain Mirrycle Bar End Mirror...I've used this mirror for 5 years now and I love it. Made my wife try it and she's a die hard fan as well. I have it adjusted to where I can flip it inwards when not in use to keep it out of the way. I've never had any problems with the bolts loosening during riding either. I like the big, round mirror. You can see EVERYthing behind you and it also has a bunch of angle adjustablility to suit different rider preferences.

My bike...

The wife's bike...

Second that.. I use a cateye round side mirror. Almost same as yrs and no problem even hitting car side mirror during jam. It will just flip one side and will not affect yr handle bar.

(Saw yr face on yr wife side mirror )

BIG and Bald
    Quote Originally Posted by shimano4
    (Saw yr face on yr wife side mirror )
    Yeah, I had a creative, artistic moment there. Or as we call it in Kentucky...ARTSY FARTSY!!!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks all for the advice.

I'm riding to work on a cross bike w/drop bars, so the bar-end mirrors won't work for me. I am going to try a mirror that I can clip to my helmet.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i've installed plenty of bar end mirrors on drop bars, most work rather well. don't rule it out yet.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    i've installed plenty of bar end mirrors on drop bars, most work rather well. don't rule it out yet.
    Yup. Those we show u can also mount on end of drop bar..

BIG and Bald

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I use a bar-end style mirror that folds out of the way, or moves if it's bumped. It's about 2-1/2 inches in diameter. Works great for seeing behind me while I'm focusing more of my attention on the snow covered/slippery roads ahead of me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Try the "Itallian road bike mirror"

I just got one of these for my road-bike and I am very happy with it. It is light, unobtrusive, and works as advertised. If you are looking for a mirror that works well with drop-bars then check this out.

http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Mercha...y_Code=Mirrors