Thread: Is it me??

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

Is it me??

There seems to be an inverse relationship between the weather people prefer to bike in vs. the respect you get from motorists.

All throughout the winter - zero trouble. Lots of room - even though the roads became significantly narrower due to the snow. Now that there is more light and no snow a few drivers seem to have gotten lazy..

Don't get me wrong - most of my commutes and fellow commuters are hassle free. But tonight on the way home folks were just entirely unconcerned when cutting me off.

Weird. Be wary folks. Biking is nearly in season.

mtbr member
    The crazier it appears to them for you to be riding, the greater the courtesy and space. I think they are afraid we ARE crazy and it is contagious.

Once I dropped my outer mitt, stopped, and a following passenger and driver coordinated to pick it up on a slow roll and bring it up to me. Maybe the fact it was about -5 F contributed.

Actually, it may be a case of thinking the cyclist has enough to be getting on with. In nice weather, cyclists no longer pop in their subconscious so that they consciously take notice and plan accordingly. We are rolling orange barrels to them. No wonder they underestimate our speed!

namagomi
    Also, spring is here and windows are rolled down by motorists... in the winter those who yell, the idiots, are generally too slovenly to go through the effort of yelling at you by rolling windows down and letting the cold air in. A lot of effort, which goes to show you how strongly they hold their convictions.