Thread: Mayor Bloomberg

mtbr member

Mayor Bloomberg

So Mayor Bloomberg wants to solve the obesity problem by limiting the soda cup size resturaunts can sell, and ban the delivery of 2 liter soda bottles with pizza.

This seems like such a nitnoid approach to solving this problem. All he has to do is reduce the number of subway trains and limit the number of taxis in the city. This will force people to either buy a bike, or walk.

Obesity problem solved...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    When I lived in NYC, I walked EVERYWHERE.... and was 30 pounds lighter for it.
    Sadly, NYC, is not exactly Portland when it comes to it's residents being active and mobile. The density of NYC, the traffic, busses, pedestrians, crazy bike messengers.... frankly; the average person is scared to ride a bike in Manhattan. Yes, the bike lanes are nice but will never convince users that they will not die when riding in NYC.

But I will say this, I for one, see NYC as being safer than suburbia. The simple fact that there is so much chaos in NYC makes it much safer to me, than driving around where I live now. But that;s me and I am not like most folks.

Other huge issue is where to store your bike both in your apartment, and more importantly, your destination. Leave a bike unlocked and it will be gone in seconds. Doesn't matter what part of the city. Ever see the size of the chains the messengers carry around their shoulders? They look like .50 caliber ammo belts. Also, why they cover the entire bike frame and fork in tape. So no one sees the brand of bike it is.

NYC for the most part, doe snot support an active lifestyle to those that might be accepting of it. OF course you have your health nuts and active cyclists that will continue to ride because it is in their blood... but to the average NYer... they are only walking if it is a nice day and they don't have too far to walk. Sad, but true.

Trail Prospector
    Hey, at least he's trying something to reduce obesity.
    Choose your fights carefully, lobbyists are brutal, and until eliminated school cafeteria's will serve processed crapola
    to our kids who are destined for diabetes.
    Not sure how this fits into commuting, but if kids were allowed to ride to school it too may help.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Totally agree....

USA needs a complete paradigm shift away from the giant food corporations that have sickened our great country. The Monsantos, Krafts, Nabisco, Pepsi and countless others have destroyed what we eat as a society. Of course we all have choices. I am trying to rid my body of processed foods. But after a lifetime of eating them, It is not as easy as one thinks.

I remember in HS school we would al get Big Gulps before and after school.... almost every day. The last few generations are the ones that suffer form obesity and it is all directly related to the huge percentages of processed foods we, as Americans consume.

The rule that I try to live by is this... If I caught it or if I grew it, then it is safe to eat.... otherwise it is 99% probably processed to at least some degree and is not good for me.

mtbr member
    I agree with all the comments. Also, most peoples diet leaves them so devoid of energy that they wouldn't ride a bike if it was the most perfect day on the most perfect street. We need more people to change their diets so they can act as examples to those who have not. That way others can be convinced that diet and exercise is all that's needed to feel incredible and avoid pharmaceuticals.

mtbr member
    BTW, my original post was tongue in cheek. I know that mayor Bloomberg would never do what I suggested. That would anger so many new yorkers that he might have a riot on his hands. I guess my point is that the things he is doing to fight obesity are so miniscule, why even bother.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It would be nice to see Bloomberg use his vast fortune and media empire to help people see how horrible these food corporations really are and how they are making the USA sick.

If he had balls that is what he should do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    It would be nice to see Bloomberg use his vast fortune and media empire to help people see how horrible these food corporations really are and how they are making the USA sick.

If he had balls that is what he should do.
    Plenty of people have tried to do this and the fact is that the majority of Americans don't care. Sure, there are some people who might get it, but that would certainly be the minority. Another issue to overcome is cost. My wife and I buy very little in terms of processed food and our monthly food bill is sickening. Someone who has trouble paying their bills every month can't afford lean meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.

What people CAN afford is to count their calories and moderate their food intake as well as increase their exercise. There are so many different diets out there to try that people seem to forget that can just simply eat less or count their calories. You don't need to buy books about Atkins or South Beach or pay a monthly fee to Weight Watchers to lose weight. Unfortunately this brings us back to most people not caring.

Has anyone ever noticed how "normal" weight in America is overweight? My BMI is right in the middle of normal and at one point was at the high end of normal and everyone would tell me how skinny I am. I think what they meant is I'm not obese like most people they see. Whenever I turned down a cookie or brownie I would get "you can afford it". I would respond that the reason I'm "skinny" is because I have the will power to turn down stuff like that. This is a problem because until someone is massive, they often don't realize they're overweight. And this is in Massachusetts, certainly not the most obese area of the country. It's much worse in most of the US than it is here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Someone who has trouble paying their bills every month can't afford lean meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.
    I agree. If people would just change their diets, it would drive the cost down on healthy food because the big agra would put their resources towards producing this kind of food in a cost effective manner. Can you imagine being able to go to any resturaunt in town and getting amazing healthy food and green juice and this is considered normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Has anyone ever noticed how "normal" weight in America is overweight?
    Yes. And when people see a person who actually looks like a human should look, they consider the person to look unhealthy because they are "too skinny." Amazing how we have evolved.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Well, I give nothing but kudos to Bloomberg for what he has done for bike riding in NYC. But that will NEVER reduce the need for the subway system. I'm all for expanding subway service as much as possible. The less surface traffic, the better. I think your solution would just lead to more cars.

But yeah, the soda ban is a little silly, and I think mostly ineffective.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.