mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Making a standard topeak rack disc compatible?

Instead of plunkin' down fifty bucks for a new rack I was thinking of converting my standard rack into a disc rack. Basically the disc racks just have a nice big piece of metal that extends the rack out far enough to clear the caliper.

I COULD just use a ton of washers on the disc side, but I'm thinking I could just drill out a chunk of metal.

What do you think?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Jandd makes a little adapter for this problem: http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FDBFA

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I love you

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Or, just go to your local hardware store and buy some standoffs and long bolts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yep! Slightly longer bolt and an oversized nut slipped over the bolt to act as a thick washer did it for me! Just about still got access to the brake attachment bolts.

(Topeak Super Tourist DX on a Carrera Kraken)

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba
    Jandd makes a little adapter for this problem: http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FDBFA
    Cool, I have been looking for something like this I considered doing the extra long bolt thing, but I think this will be less likely to bend.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just went to lowes. They actually had an extender tube that works perfectly, BUT they don't have a hex socket bolt that is long enough.

They did have a zinc bolt with a Philips head that works for me, but the salesperson said zinc isn't that strong. So we'll see how it goes..