Thread: The Magic Word?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Good article. He's right, and thought out a reasonable solution that might work if enough people join in.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I agree with this article, but every now and then a good F.U. may be warranted in the right situation.

mtbr member
    "Hey!" Works well to get the oblivious to see me and not run me over. They look chagrinned that they did not see me as well they should. If they don't see me, then they aren't looking well enough. "Careful!" would be a bit slower to say. Sometimes time is of the essence. It would be good in a number of situations.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    When I have the time to try to shame somebody I often use "Pay Attention!" or "Wake Up!" In an emergency it's "What?!?" or "Hey!" And when I need a quick, classless insult I usually call people fat.

But yesterday I nearly got rundown in a crosswalk (didn't have my bike, just me and the dog), and my staredown with that driver was nothing but f-bombs.

I'm SUCH a square....
    A lot of times, my profanities go unheard, since they are going a good 30+mph faster than I am. There have been times when the car has been encroaching slowly enough that a drill-sergeant-bellowed "YO!!" will get their attention. Other times, it's either "Mutha-F****!" or "A**hole!" I've gotten 2 threatening responses: one from the evil twin of the convict in "Green Mile', the other from some redneck with a hidden weapon. Riding in traffic steadily since '97.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    But yesterday I nearly got rundown in a crosswalk (didn't have my bike, just me and the dog), and my staredown with that driver was nothing but f-bombs.
    I was at Carling and Woodruff and was crossing on the crosswalk when a tiny elderly (80+) lady with umbrella stepped into the crosswalk coming towards me. Just then, a big Chevy Impala (this was the mid seventies, so that was the only kind of Impala). rolled through the stop line and into the crosswalk slowing as the driver looked left for traffic. Then her umbrella swatted his hood. He stopped shocked that he had a pedestrian in front of his car who was a tad upset and another crossing the center as a witness. She waived the umbrella in a definitive back the 'truck' up motion which he failed to respond to promptly. She then threatened to skewer his radiator through the grill and continued the prodding until he did back it up all the way to the stop line. Made me think of "Do you feel lucky, punk?" Sometimes you don't even need words! Made my day. I said, "Good job, ma'am!" with an ear-to-ear grin as I passed her and continued in front of the now legal chevy and then to the curb. "Walking here!"

He is lucky he didn't scare her into a heart attack, running a red light with pedestrians in the crosswalk.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    ^ when I used to walk to work I punched quite a few cars - being an alert, able-bodied pedestrian means you're effectively invincible. Being a cyclist sadly means you're much more vulnerable.