Thread: MAB Science?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

MAB Science?

I posted a picture of our commuter fleet above but wanted to expand upon it in a new thread. We'll start with this comment I guess:

Quote Originally Posted by djork
    MABman, that is a killer motorized bike!
    As the old saying goes, "You ain't seen nothing yet."
    DSC00799.JPG
    DSC00785.JPG

And when we make the switch to Ethanol we will be revisiting the 2 stroke concept for sure CB.

I have been toying with motor assist bikes since 2000 in both electric and gas formats in quite a few different configurations. The one thing I have found in common with all the different methods is the amount of fascination they hold for the general populace whenever and whereever I am stopped. Makes for a very good conversation starter for sure!

This bike:
    DSC00818.JPG

is one that I bought off eBay for a 70yr old woman friend a few years back who wanted to ride a bike but was scared of the hills in the town she lived in. It served her well enough but didn't have alot of range so we recently upgraded her to a better model. She gave me the bike and I have been using it some for downtown errands and can't park it without someone wondering about it and how it works. I am not talking about the cycling elite, but just regular folks. So I figure what is wrong with getting more people out and about on bicycles even if it has a bit of a motor on it? If it gets someone out of a car for small trips around and about I think that is a good thing.

I am sure there are many on here that would never consider this concept and that is fine. But mark my words more and more people will be showing up on this type of bike in the future and I feel they should be welcomed in to the commuting community as long as they are following the rules and regulations set by the government for motor assisted bicycles.
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by MABman
    And when we make the switch to Ethanol we will be revisiting the 2 stroke concept for sure CB.
    Atta kid. If it sounds like my chainsaw and smells like my KTM, I'll ride it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Definitely not off the shelf. You`re welding them yourself, I take it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No. I can't weld. But I was in on the design and the fabrication.
    DSC00729.JPG
    DSC00773.JPG
    DSC00774.JPG

But luckily I know someone that can do all of the above at a professional level and has the facility to do it in that I was able to coerce into doing the project.

DSC00746.JPG
    DSC00748.JPG

Frame manufacturing is a really interesting process and doing prototype work is a real challenge that takes alot of time.

weirdo
    Very nice- congrats. As a side note- it look like you have some kind of independent drive on the tandem in your other post- is it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes. It is a Davinci setup on our tandem. I bought it originally for use with as a motor assist system on a single bike in 2000 that didn't quite make prime time and had it laying around when the tandem idea came up a few years later. We really like it setup this way for our use.
    DSC00385.JPG

The jackshaft system on the blue bike is much more homemade, and alot cheaper, but the principal is the same in that the ability to keep the two "motors" independent of each other but still syncronomous also.
    P1010048.JPG