Fat-tired Roadie

Lower Gearing... Sweet!

I had a commute over the summer that was a little under five miles, with 200' of descending and then 340' of climbing, give-or-take. The bike I use is an older 12-speed, previously with a 40/52 crankset and 14-28t freewheel. I promised myself after doing that stupid climb five days a week that I'd get some lower gears if I had to do it again.

Anyway, I'm back at that school from now through mid-March, so I got a 34t and 48t ring installed. It's so much easier! I didn't even miss the little bit of top-end I gave up, although I see the 14t cog being in much more regular use from now on.

I highly encourage anyone who's contemplating a similar change to do it. It's one thing to be macho about gears for unladen, spandex-clad riding (although I'm still not) but I know I'm happy to take all the help I can get when I've got a bag of books.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    In the end other people are not the ones turning the gears. You are. That's all you need to know. Sounds like a Fun climb.

mtbr member
    I always like to ride in a lower gear. I have a 12 speed road bike I ride to my town and other towns (usually 30,40 mile rides). When I get on a flat straightaway, I usually like to go fast, but anywhere there are hills (down or up) I get in 4th or 5th gear.
    =[--
    Haha, I made a bike! Do you see it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My run-around-town bike has a 36/22 up front and 11-30 in back. Works great all over the place: pavement, trails, pathways, etc.

Fat-tired Roadie
    This one's somewhat restricted by the existing equipment on it, and me being a cheapskate. Between the derailleur capacity, shifter, and my desires in cog spacing, I wasn't going to get a freewheel with lower gearing on there; 34t is the smallest common ring that the existing 110 BCD crank will accept.

If I do one from the ground up, though, it's going to have an even lower granny.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    This one's somewhat restricted by the existing equipment on it, and me being a cheapskate. Between the derailleur capacity, shifter, and my desires in cog spacing, I wasn't going to get a freewheel with lower gearing on there; 34t is the smallest common ring that the existing 110 BCD crank will accept.

If I do one from the ground up, though, it's going to have an even lower granny.
    I have a 1X8 set-up on my CX bike, 34 X 11-34. Works KILLER!

So, do you have a 6-speed cassette in the back?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottNova
    In the end other people are not the ones turning the gears. You are. That's all you need to know. Sounds like a Fun climb.
    +1 I dropped the 53-42-30 for 48-36-26. The 5 added lower ratios the Granny brings to the party don't get a lot of play except in truly hilly terrain, but after riding into 20+ winds for 20 miles and finding a long hard climb, it is nice to have it in reserve.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    So, do you have a 6-speed cassette in the back?
    Sort of. It's a freewheel.

The bike is an old Raleigh Technium - some kind of bonded aluminum construction. It's spaced for a 126mm hub and I'm afraid to mess with that because of the construction.

I'll see how I feel going forward, but today it felt like I have my available ratios in just about the right range. I still have to get out of the saddle on some parts of the long climb in one direction, and a couple short steep ones, but I generally had my choice on anything long. I think that in order to get any more low ratios, I'd need to throw a lot more money at the project than I really want to.