Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Lost Passion from Commuting?

Hey everyone, I moved to a different apartment and my commute went from about a 1/2 mile one way to 2. I've found that dealing with the traffic and weather have made me lose interest in road riding all together.

Granted there are good commutes and bad commutes depending on what goes down daily, is in 36 and raining or is it 60 and sunny. But does anyone else feel that commuting has killed their on road passion?

mtbr member
    If anything it made me realize why people like to ride road...even though other than getting to work I don't really have any ambition to do it. My commute is 15 miles each way and the only reason I do it is because I like to drink beer and eat ice cream too much. Apparently it is a lot more fun to ride to work than stand/sit/run on some stupid machine at the gym. Plus I think it makes me stronger for the mt. biking that I actually want to do!

I Ride for Donuts
    Commuting doesn't kill passion. Commuting kills anger, stress, frustration, and work-related mind-consumption. 1/2 mile one way wouldn't come close to cutting it for me. Heck, 2 miles one way would just be a tease. I don't start getting a clear mind until about mile 4.6 In my humble, refined, correct opinion a 6 to 8 mile commute is ideal.

As for "on road passion"...I don't think I've ever experienced that to begin with. What is that, exactly?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Wanderer
    My problem is that I don't have the energy for commuting (11.5 miles each way) and fun rides.

While 23 miles a day isn't much, by the end of the week my body is tired and it never fully recovers during the weeks that follow. I generally commute for a bit then stop and just do fun rides for a few weeks and then go back to commuting. I have to admit that I enjoy my fun rides more than commuting.

mtbr member
    Maybe ive just been looking at it the wrong way, maybe its the stage of my life that is dragging the passion down.

I used to go on long road rides about once a week, I havent really done that at all this semester (super senior here, starting to dread the real life that is starting in about 2 months)

mtbr member
    That's an important time not to loose sight of the things that make you happy and give you time to reflect on your daily life...or the ability to forget about them for a few hours. I know I fell out of mountain biking for almost 10 years and looking back I don't know why I did that. Just got too caught up in the "real world".

mtbr member
    I couldn't have said it better myself. If you can keep this fun and healthy Passion you'll have something in your life that you can always turn to when things in life get difficult. It can be difficult to get out there sometimes. Just make it happen and you'll feel that old Passion again. Try a new ride that you've always wanted to do but haven't. A change of scenery is very helpful.
    Sometimes I think the emotional benefits are even bigger than the physical benefits. That will help you in everything else you do in life. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Maybe its the stress of being a senior in college and knowing that you'll be out in the real world soon. Don't give up on commuting. My commute is 30 miles round trip so I def don't commute everyday. I just try and think about the gas money I'm saving and how I'm not polluting as much when I do commute. Keep your head up bro and stay strong!!!
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

Moderator Moderator
    On the rare occasions when I road ride, mostly in the spring when there are some decent days but the woods are still snowy, I picked very different roads than my commute. Something scenic, less traffic, no shopping strips, etc. It feels very different from commuting. But I stopped once the trails opened. I logged more commuter miles in winter than summer, because I took days off commuting to trail ride. I find traffic more fun to deal with on a bike than in a car, and I love weather.

weirdo
    Like Crclawn suggested, it could be something else that`s causing your change in attitude. Provided you have other means of commuting, why not skip bike commutes for a few weeks and see whether it helps or makes things worse?

mtbr member
    Ive owned and driven a car since I was 16. Just recently became sick and tired of paying for them. Its funny how thing that you own eventually end up owning you. On one of my routes there is a gas station i ride right through on purpose, everytime I do, I think to myself "CHA CHING,CHA CHING," Its like my own little victory everyday. Sometimes I glance at the people filling up their cars or trucks, and wonder why they dont get on a bike. I guess the average american is just too lazy. I feel good not being "the average". I say, Do what you feel like doing. commuting by bike, driving, riding the bus, motorcycle, whatever you want. If your sick of doing something, change it up.
    P.S. sometimes changing the route does help, as previously stated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sometimes it can be a burn and I definitely take a few days off from commuting to recharge. But what gets me going again is sitting in a car not moving while I see bikers pass me. It's too much fun to pass cars and not have to deal with the stresses of stop and go traffic. Also the fact that I only have to fill up my tank once every month or so is great motivation.

I hope you realize that being a senior in college is awesome and by no means should you feel stressed. It only gets worse when you are out of school and working EVERY day.

One Colorful Rider
    It might be that your commute is not far enough.
    I hate the first 10-15 minutes of my commute in winter.
    It's Cold I'm Not Wide awake But after 15-20 minutes I feel that I can Go the Distance.
    Leaving work can be even worse.
    Now I'm tired and its Dark and people tell me it cold out, but again after 15--20 minutes it's all good.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm barely warmed up at two miles. Which is the irony of my 2.5 mile commute - I'm ready to really attack that last (tiny) climb, but then it's over.

At half a mile, I don't bring out a bike. It probably takes me as long to screw around with lights and things as it does to walk that far.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I cursed a lot when the rain forced me to go by car yesterday. The only advantage is being able to stay in bed half an hour longer.
    But I felt tired all day long, got terribly annoyed with the traffic and didn't feel like I accomplished anything at the end of the day...
    Time for some rain gear!

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL

At my old job, it took me a little under forty minutes to commute to work by bike, and less than that by car. Sometimes when the weather was really awful, I'd drive.

I always regretted it on the way home. For whatever reason, that always took a lot longer if I drove, or exactly the same amount of time, and less aggravation, when I rode my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Front door to desk:
    car: +-30' (garage is a few 100 metres away)
    bike: getting dressed +-10', +-40' of riding, +-20' to shower and get dressed
    train: walking to the departure station +-15', train +-15', bus to work +-30' / walking to work +-20'
    All for 12,5 miles... The car ride will take me even longer when I leave at the same time as I do with the bike, rush hour has diminished a bit if I stay in bed a little longer.
    So, the difference is mostly in the hassle of getting dressed/undressed.
    I'm lucky to have a private locker at work, as well as a shower and a drying room.
    All in all, the feeling afterwards makes sure the balance mostly tips over towards two wheels.
    I guess it's all about 'being different', and willing to make a change for the better.
    It would be even better if I could inspire others to start doing the same!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by s0180840 View Post
    Front door to desk:
    bike: getting dressed +-10', +-40' of riding, +-20' to shower and get dressed
    !
    I don't count shower/getting dressed for work time as part of my commute because no matter how I get to work, I shower and get dressed for work. Of course, if I drive it's usually before leaving home. If I ride, it's after I get to work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    two miles, might as well just run.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    2 miles, I'd probably just walk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FKMTB07 View Post
    2 miles, I'd probably just walk.
    +1
    2 miles doesn't warrant the extra trouble and time, IMO, of dealing with parking, locking a bike.
    See it as an opportunity to have a brisk walk to and from work every day.

mtbr member
    If anything, commuting makes me look forward to fun road rides even more, where I can pick the route and avoid or encounter obstacles that I want to deal with. Although I am fortunate that I live in the suburbs and don't work down town, so most of my commute is relatively low on chaos and stress.

I actually find that the more I commute on the bike, the more I want to do it. On those weeks when something comes up on Monday & Tuesday and I can't ride, I seem less inclined to want to get on the bike Wednesday morning. When I feel a little bored with the same routes, I just remind myself I'd be even more bored on the treadmill or stairmaster at the gym!
    Last edited by Tystevens; 12-07-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    One big reason commuting makes me love road riding. My commuter weighed 22lbs when I first got it, now it has fenders and a rack so it's probably in the 25-26lb range, plus I always have lights on it and a backpack on. My road bike is a ~16lb carbon bike that also happens to fit me a lot better than the commuter and has nicer components (Force vs. 105). It's like driving to work every day in your boring econobox car then taking out the 911 Turbo on the weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    Maybe its the stress of being a senior in college and knowing that you'll be out in the real world soon. Don't give up on commuting. My commute is 30 miles round trip so I def don't commute everyday. I just try and think about the gas money I'm saving and how I'm not polluting as much when I do commute. Keep your head up bro and stay strong!!!
    +1

When you are a 40 year old washed up roadie, like me, what will be more important? Having good grades on your transcript or putting in a few extra miles 20 years ago?

For the record, I had respectable grades and put in decent mileage... Find your balance.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I consider commuting by bike to have a negative opportunity cost. It buys me more time for staring at the internet, studying, sleeping a little later, not rushing breakfast, whatever over either driving, taking the bus or walking to school. I realize this is a somewhat atypical situation, but if the OP is only going 2 miles, he may share it. (Or, walking might be faster.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast