mtbr member
    Mar 2010

looking for wind breaker pants / jacket options for cold weather commute

I work construction, and most of the job sites I go to have no areas for me to change clothing. For my bike commute, I need a set of wind breaker pants and a windbreaker jacket to that are easy to put on and take off over my coveralls, and without removing my boots. I'm a somewhat larger person (maybe 6' and 225lbs), and I am hoping to ride all winter here in Winnipeg, MB (gets down to -35 to -40).

Moderator Moderator
    That sounds challenging...you mean the bulky insulated coveralls?

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    You don't have portapotties or toilets that you can change in? (I've changed in portapotties before)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Jackets are a no-brainer as far as layering, but you'll probably want to look into full-zip ski pants as a windblocking layer, since you are wearing pretty bulky pants. I would also look into a set of nice thermals...preferably made of wool. They will be pricey, but they will help keep you warm and dry, since coveralls tend to be made out of cotton, and don't deal with high intensity workouts too well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    That sounds challenging...you mean the bulky insulated coveralls?
    Generally, no. Just the regular ones. Still, they seem bulkier than comparable workpants.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    You don't have portapotties or toilets that you can change in? (I've changed in portapotties before)
    I generally find that the portapotties are very small, and quite disgusting . Nah, I'll give that a pass, thanks.

mtbr member
    I just got a pair of Pearl Izumi Barrier WXB pants. They're water and wind proof and on the loose side. I have really big thighs and often have trouble finding pants that fit and the mediums fit me great. I have a 32 waist.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer View Post
    I work construction, and most of the job sites I go to have no areas for me to change clothing. For my bike commute, I need a set of wind breaker pants and a windbreaker jacket to that are easy to put on and take off over my coveralls, and without removing my boots. I'm a somewhat larger person (maybe 6' and 225lbs), and I am hoping to ride all winter here in Winnipeg, MB (gets down to -35 to -40).
    MEC Synergy Pants (Men's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Take a look at some of the others as well.

MEC Truant Pant (Men's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Damn, this is looking to be a pricy proposition. $150.00 and up seems like a lot of money for a relatively short commute.

I do thank everyone for their input on this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    LL Bean is running a sale on "high visibility" outerwear this weekend. Lucky for me! I was going to purchase a shell and pants anyways. I love saving money that I was going to spend anyways.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a pair of the Novara Express pants from REI. I think they were $70. They are a basic windbreaker pant and also have zips on the legs to take on/off over shoes. They have a lot of room for me but I sized up so I could wear stuff under them and am smaller. I have worn them over jeans but that setup got pretty hot unless temps were low.

mtbr member
    If your looking for mostly wind ans slop blockage go to a motorcycle shop and get a rain suit for about 50 bucks if you need more insulation you'll be able to layer underneath
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo