Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Looking for a Urban Bike

Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a light, stylish and highly spec'ed urban bike. Any suggestions? Try and keep it under $1000 CAD and easily available in Canada

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Do you have some idea of what you want? People here ride all kinds for bikes for urban transit. My bike is basically a rigid 29er with 42mm tires, but some people prefer cross bikes, and others like something more flat-handle road bike.

In San Francisco, pretty much anything goes...

That said though, the only recommendation I have is don't get suspension.

Internal gears are nicer because of less maintenance but more expensive. For hilly places like SF, the 8 speed Shimano is a bit narrow and the 11 speed is double the cost.

If you are in a flat area, you could get away with a single speed, or maybe a 3 speed internal gears for small hills.

Brakes...disc brakes are awesome in the wet, but I don't like how there are a million different pad styles unlike rim brakes. Disc brake in the front and rim brake will do a lot of people well, but this isn't a popular setup off the shelf because people might not like the asymmetry. I use my front brakes significantly more and they are able to stop the bike faster than the rear. Rim brakes will still stop a bike perfectly fine.

My bike came with discs, so I didn't have a choice in that. The only thing I was really wanted was a Deore level bike. The stock brakes worked ok, but the front brake was the first thing I upgraded.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    Do you have some idea of what you want? People here ride all kinds for bikes for urban transit.
    This is the big question- "urban bike" can mean just about anything.

What conditions will you be using it in? Are you looking for a certain frame material? Preference for wheel sizes? Flat bars? Drops? Willing to look at used bikes? You want the whole bike all at once, or will asemble it from parts?
    Recalculating....

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Cannondale Bad Boy. Comes in many flavors. Guard it viciously, with double U-locks. Mine is a 2001, but I still love it like a brand-new bike - it's light(19 pounds), fast and I get tons of compliments on it even today:

Bad Boy
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'd want a 29er with Rigid, I like that Cannondale but again I can't find them around my area! Flat bars are a preferred but I can always change that, used bikes are my friends! and lastly If I can assemble a bike cheaper then buying it whole maybe.

Looking for a Urban Bike

For what you want to spend pick up a cheap rigid 29er and throw some slicks (touring tires, slick mtb tires, or hybrid tires) on it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    If there aren't any significant climbs around you, singlespeed can be a lot of fun.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've been looking at the 29er Rigid SS and I think thats the way I want to go. Any suggestions on a 29er Rigid?

weirdo
    Redline Monocog?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    don't get suspension.
    About 1/3 of my commute a trail bike makes most sense and there's no dirt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Redline Monocog?
    Kona Unit, Surly Karate Monkey?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    At that price it's hard. How much crap are you going to be dragging with you in panniers or a trailer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If you're going to commute in anything besides good weather get the disc brakes. I commute on a Trek FX, cheaped out and bought the one with vbrakes instead of disk, big mistake. Love the bike, hate the brakes. Most of the time spent on upkeep is on the vbrakes and you can feel the decrease in braking as the rims get wet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sounds good.

I don't have a great sense of the price. It doesn't sound ridiculous in either direction, at least.

Is XL your size?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Sounds good.

I don't have a great sense of the price. It doesn't sound ridiculous in either direction, at least.

Is XL your size?
    I saw the size after I posted, its to big! I'm only 5'9 5'10 on a good day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Specialized Bicycle Components

I love that bike, but its over my price point!

This is perfect...
    2013 Giant Escape RX Disc (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | UK / Ireland Not sure if its available in Canada though?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Hybrids are the antithesis of style.

I liked the Redline Monocog as a retail option.

I think part of "stylish" is a bike that's either good at something or reaches the level of commitment to form of a cruiser. Hybrids occupy an unfortunate middle ground of unstable handling off-road and slow handling on the road, and they look dowdy. That's my opinion, but you're the one asking the Internet what to buy. ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hybrids are the antithesis of style.

I liked the Redline Monocog as a retail option.

I think part of "stylish" is a bike that's either good at something or reaches the level of commitment to form of a cruiser. Hybrids occupy an unfortunate middle ground of unstable handling off-road and slow handling on the road, and they look dowdy. That's my opinion, but you're the one asking the Internet what to buy. ;-)
    Hybrids come in all shapes and styles. For example mine has same geometry as a hard tail 29er with 80mm fork but has a rigid carbon fork and less tire clearance -- probably can fit up to 50mm, maybe 55mm Big Apples.

Hybrids come in all shapes and styles. For example mine has same geometry as a hard tail 29er with 80mm fork but has a rigid carbon fork and less tire clearance -- probably can fit up to 50mm, maybe 55mm Big Apples.
    I agree with this. Mine would probably count as a hybrid by a lot of definitions, but it does everything I ask of it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm happy you guys are happy with your hybrids. I rode one for all of high school myself. I can't say "same geometry as a 29er hardtail but won't clear my favorite tires" would be a selling point for me, though. jseko, I'm sure there's something yours does better than my Trek Portland did. Or, something it does better than my little red Hardrock would if I used it around town. In other words, there's got to be a positive reason you like your bike. Or, I hope there is.

weirdo
    Hybrids come in all shapes and styles.
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Mine would probably count as a hybrid by a lot of definitions, but it does everything I ask of it.
    Does "hybrid" mean the same as "flatbar road bike", or is there a difference there? Or does it depend on who answers the question?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm happy you guys are happy with your hybrids. I rode one for all of high school myself. I can't say "same geometry as a 29er hardtail but won't clear my favorite tires" would be a selling point for me, though. jseko, I'm sure there's something yours does better than my Trek Portland did. Or, something it does better than my little red Hardrock would if I used it around town. In other words, there's got to be a positive reason you like your bike. Or, I hope there is.
    When I was looking for bike, I wanted an urban bike like OP. I really had no idea what I was getting into or what I was looking for. What I knew was that I did not want suspension and what I did want was multiple gears be it internal gears or 3x8 or 3x9, and Deore component level. I also didn't want something upright like a Dutch bike.

At the time, the only road bike I had been on was some kind of Cannondale CAAD that was used for racing and as a bike newb, the ride was damn stiff and harsh so that basically turned me away from anything with drop bars and I had no idea there was such a thing as cross bikes or softer road bikes bikes like Cannondale Synapse or Specialized Secteur.

I only was able to try a few bikes. One was a hybrid with 700x32 tires and I rode it probably on the roughest and most dilapidated street in SF, Market Street, and I felt like my teeth were going to get rattled out because that frame was so stiff. Even at 50PSI that bike rode pretty rough -- I notice now that the manufacturer specs 35mm tires for that bike. Anyways, that experience led me to want bigger tires thinking that was the only way to soften the ride, and that's how I ended up with my hybrid 29er which came with 42mm tires. I had no intention to go off-road with the bike so tire clearance wasn't a concern, but I didn't know I was buying what is basically a mountain bike with less tire clearance either. The only thing I was sure of was that I liked the way the bike rode over dilapidated pavement.

Knowing what I know now...I might not have gone the same route and maybe would go with a cross bike instead like Kona Jake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Does "hybrid" mean the same as "flatbar road bike", or is there a difference there? Or does it depend on who answers the question?
    It's not a road bike, so I'd probably lump it in with hybrid. These are bikes like Trek FX or Specialized Sirrus?

I think in large part it depends who answers the question. A flat bar is a common hybrid feature, but I wouldn't say it's required necessarily. Just not traditional drops. Capacity for fatter tires would be another biggie. Not necessarily mtb tire capacity, but possibly so.

My commute bike is something of a category-buster. It's a road frame with road geometry, however it is offered as a complete bike with flat bar or traditional drops. I have mustache bars on it. It has capacity for up to a 38c tire, which puts you into the hybrid and narrow CX tire range. I put 29er mtb wheels on it and a road crankset. I don't call it a hybrid because it's too athletic for that IMO. But people get confused if I call it a road bike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast