Drinking the Slick_Juice

looking for tires

im looking for some nice commuter tires for my SS trek 850,since i recently started biking to work and school. im currently rolling on a pair of forte versa trac tires but i feel a lot of drag when riding fast. im staying on sidewalks and paved roads and there is very little dirt(although i would like the tires to not explode when riding in dirt ).
    i would like them to be not too expensive.ill wait for some suggestions
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Bicyclist
    Mar 2008
    I'd say anything that is totally slick works awesome for street and will work good for some off road & single track. Obviously not so good for slippery stuff like sand & mud. Some people even prefer slicks for snow and ice.
    Much less rolling resistance. I was amazed how fast it felt the first time I rolled on slicks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm a big fan of the Schwalbe Marathons. They are heavy and expensive but in about 1500 miles...I haven't had a single puncture. I did have a tube failure recently and I checked my tire thoroughly. I found 5 separate cuts in the rubber and inside each of these, I found a chunk of glass pressing up against the kevlar belt. I ride 28 miles/day on crap streets and highways so flat resistance is my first priority.

I Ride for Donuts
    What PSI are you running in the versa-tracs? I had those on my mtb for a while, and at 60-65 PSI, they run pretty fast on the street. Lower than that and I really started to notice them. That center tread section really starts to be an advantage when they are rock hard.

That said, I used the cheap forte' brand slicks on my mtb for commuting, and they are dirt cheap (sub-10 bucks @ performance) and work great. I live on a dirt road, and I never blew one up.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

No-Brakes Cougar
    I run Michelin Country Rocks on my Trek 850. They're 1.75" wide, and you can pump them up to 73 PSI. They're super fast but very grippy in corners. Never had a problem with flats and they're not heavy either. This past Sunday I even took them off road and they did just fine in a variety of dirt and rocky terrain, even in short patches of mud. Probably wouldn't be too hot on a steep incline, but they'll get you through most terrain.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i had 65 psi in em but i could here the wind resistance on the tires so i feel restricted. with those michelins it says they run good in dry areas, here in texas its mostly wet near the coast so,maybe a good rain tire?

Bicyclist
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    i had 65 psi in em but i could here the wind resistance on the tires so i feel restricted. with those michelins it says they run good in dry areas, here in texas its mostly wet near the coast so,maybe a good rain tire?
    Slick tires work great in the rain. It's basically impossible for a bicycle to hydroplane. Thought I'd mention that if you didn't already know.
    Anyway the slicks I have now are Cheng-Shin 26" x 1.9" and seem to get good grip in the rain. I only have about 500miles on them so far. So can't say what the longevity is.
    For me it was a toss up between the Cheng-Shins and the WTB Slickasaurus.
    Both of these I think are around $20 a tire.
    Last edited by KevinBicycle; 01-06-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    thanks Kev

I run Ritchey Tom Slicks 26x1.4s for street riding, and swap 'em out for my knobbies for off-road - still runnin' tubes, so the swap only takes a few minutes, really. I've taken the slicks off road, but it's definitely not fun. But, man oh man are they the shat for the street !!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have had a lot of success using Maxxis CrossMarks and airing them up to like 50psi. If you hit some dirt trails or even nice rock gardens air them down and they do great. Fast rolling and you dont have to worry about taking some jumps or loose dirt in the road.
    Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Rush 4, 1994 Trek 930SHX, 2009 Scott CR1 Team Issue

Rock More. Roll More. Live More!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Serfas Drifters...at 65 - 70 psi