Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Looking for a road bar with these characteristics.,

This is actually for a road bike, but in the past I get more helpful info on this commuter board than on RBR.

I've tried a few different bars, and I am having a hard time finding one just the right shape, maybe you all can help. The first three requirements are very important, the third is just a bonus.

1- I want bars that have a tighter radius as the drop curves down. I've found this is key to allow me to set up the hoods just right. The bar I have right now is non-ergo with a small drop, so the entire radius is pretty tight and it works out well. I Have also had a deeper drop with an ergo bend, so the top part of the drop was a tighter radius, and that worked well too. However I once had a deeper drop without an ergo bend, and with the bigger radius bend at the top I could never get the hoods where I want them. This is what is steering me away from the Nitto Noodle right now.

2- I want the ramps (the part right behind the hoods) to come straight back a little before it curves in towards the stem. I run my ramps almost level and I like having another hand position on the bar behind the hoods, but some bars curve in too soon and there is no room unless I bend my wrists outwards. That was the issue with my last bar.

3- I want the bar to be 46cm c-c (at the hoods)

4- If the drops flare out a tad, that would be a bonus, but not a requirement

I don't really care about ero vs non-ero drops, they both seem to work for me.

I've been interested in the Nitto Noodle, but it looks like the radius of the drop at the top is too big.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    sounds like the wtb dirt drop. ergo type curve.
    maybe ragley luxy is one of the newer options, normal style curve.
    lots of people seem chipper with their salsa woodchippers.

(correction, thought you were looking for flared, those all flare out considerably)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

jrm
    mtbr member

The Deda Elementi Fluida RHM

I pretty much used the same criteria as you did looking for this bar.

and a link: http://www.airbomb.com/ItemMatrix.as...mpaign=Froogle
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Frys With That, Please
    Sounds like you're looking for these:

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455
    Sounds like you're looking for these:

Actually, that's more flare than I am looking for. I was thinking just a few degrees, like the Nitto Noodle. I don't think my STI brifters would work out so well on the super flared mountain drop bars. (like these or the woodchippers). I'll have to find a bike that has these mounted to see what they feel like.

Thanks,

Ariolimax columbianus
    i like velo orange......check these out http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...handlebar.html

noodle's nice too, i've ridden some extensively.

mtbr member
    +1 Gran CRU, based on my Nitto Randoneur - the Nitto could be wider, as your specs indicate. The Gran CRU was not in VO's catalog when I bought the Nitto. All other aspects seem similar and the VO's a bit wider would have been nice. I love the hood placement and the long flat top, and rising back.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    +1 Gran CRU, based on my Nitto Randoneur - the Nitto could be wider, as your specs indicate. The Gran CRU was not in VO's catalog when I bought the Nitto. All other aspects seem similar and the VO's a bit wider would have been nice. I love the hood placement and the long flat top, and rising back.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, both the Noodle, the Randoneur, and the VO all have the wrong bend in the drops. To big of a radius at the top (see #2).

Someone over on RBR gave me a link to this site/article that has bar profiles:

http://ruedatropical.com/2009/03/roa...-bar-geometry/

The type of bend I am looking for is like some of the compact ones, like the Deda RMH or the FSA K-Force, or 3T Ergosum.