Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Looking for a rear rack with these specifications....

I am looking for a rear rack for my Salsa Casseroll for long day rides. I would like the rack to have the following:

1- Have a solid center on the platform. I don't want to go with fenders, but I have found that a rear rack with a solid platform (at least down the center) works pretty well at keeping the occasional mud puddle off my @ss. I have not ruled out putting a platform on a rack without one, so I can possible work around this.

2- SIZING: The rack cannot extend more than 6" forward (measured horizontally) of where it mounts to the rack eyelets on the bike. Otherwise it will interfere with the bottle cage behind the seatpost. I would also like it to extend a bit in the back in order to perform it's fender function best.

3- I want it in silver (this is the really hard one). Polished-looking silver, not painted or matte finish. The bike is built up in almost all polished aluminum and stainless steel (brakes, stem, spacers, seatpost, cranks, bottle cages, etc) and if I am going to drop money on a new rack I'd like it to match if possible. The problem I am running into here is that it is very hard to tell what type of "silver" rack I see online are, and my LBS has none of these in stock.

I have a Topeak Explorer rack on my commuter than I have test fitted, and I basically like it.

Solid center, I like the track system, and it extends a ways back to do a good job as a fender. However, I am not crazy about the way the black looks, and it seems a bit bulkier and heavier than what I need for long day trips (I won't be doing grocery trips with this).

I like the look, size, and light weight of the stainless steel Velo Orange rack:

...but it it does not have a solid center, and does not extend far enough back to work well as a fender even made a solid platform for it. I am thinking of ways around this.

I see lots of racks online that look like they may fit the bill, but it is really hard to tell what kind or "silver" they are, and dimensions are often not given. I was interested in the Planet Bike Eco-rack, but I found out it is a matte silver. Same with the Delta Ultra rack (plus I think that extends too far forwards)

So, any suggestions of a rack that fits the bill would be appreciated. Thanks.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

gimme friction
    Can't really help with your specific measurements, but I also recently shopped racks specifically in silver.

Unfortunately, all the aluminum (cheap) silver racks are in a matte finish. You have to go cro mo to get a polished silver. That velo orange rack is sweet...I also looked at the Nitto big rack, Surly Nice Rack, Tubus, and other offerings in steel, but just couldn't justify the price for my purposes (commuting and beer runs).

That being said, Axiom has lots of offerings in silver (what I went with), but yes, all matte finish.
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Quercus agrifolia
    Can't really help with your specific measurements, but I also recently shopped racks specifically in silver.

Unfortunately, all the aluminum (cheap) silver racks are in a matte finish. You have to go cro mo to get a polished silver. That velo orange rack is sweet...I also looked at the Nitto big rack, Surly Nice Rack, Tubus, and other offerings in steel, but just couldn't justify the price for my purposes (commuting and beer runs).

That being said, Axiom has lots of offerings in silver (what I went with), but yes, all matte finish.
    Thanks. Those tubus racks look great, but yeah, that's a lot of money. Same with the Nitto stuff. I looked at the surly rack, but it was way burlier than what I need.

I am guessing that in the end I will just need to get used to the black.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Ended up ordering a Racktime Standit rack. I believe Racktime is the more affordable line from Tubus. I looks good, and it has a quick install/release system that works with the Racktime Bags, which look really good to me. I ordered a Racktime bag as well.

mtbr member
    nvm.