mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Looking for new ride

I'm looking for some assitance on a commuting bike. I currently use a 1998 Cannondale Super-V 900 full suspension. I just moved into the city and it's the only bike I have at the moment. My commute isn't long only about 8 minutes to work as its all down hill. It takes me almost 25 mins to come home as the hill is long and steep.

I have to go over a few curbs and side paths and a bit of grass but most of it is road. The downhill part is great but on the uphill the back shock is "flexing" alot on me so I'm looking for possibly a hard tail or similar. I've tightened the spring on it as much as I can. At the moment I'm about 220lbs.

I'd really like disc brakes, other than that I'm pretty open minded. Accessories would be good as well, I'm really new to this commuting thing. I was always a woods mountain biker.

Thank you in advance for your input.

BIG and Bald
    How about a Redline d460? 29" wheels, ridgid fork, 1x9 gearing and disc brakes.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

No-Brakes Cougar
    Yeah, one of Redline's rigid 29ers is definitely an option. Marin also has a rigid 29er, the Muirwoods. Slightly taller gearing for street use but it should be more than sufficient for your climbs. Also try GT's Peace 9er multi. If you want to build your own, alot of people seem to like Salsa's El Mariachi and Surly's Karate Monkey. These can be quite a bit more expensive though. I wouldn't think you would need a sus fork for commuting. Welcome to the commuter fold and good luck!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

weirdo
    Cheapo rigid mtb from Craigslist? Most won`t have disc brakes though. For discs, pretty much any front suspension mtb from the past five or six years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I agree with a Redline for
    - its price point
    - steel for the parts of the commute that are not paved

A singlespeed obviously won't work and a mountain bike will have you hauling more than necessary for your commute. Get a cyclocross version of the bike for the disk brakes and 35-38c tires take care of the terrain. It will do wonders compared to your cannondale.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the information so far, I've visited Redline's website and it seems like a nice bike and good reviews.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    redline d440 would make a good commuter... I built mine up as a citybike/commuter...

700x40 tires are slick in the center and roll fast but have enough volume to hop curbs and roll off road... the titec H bar is also freakin awesome on road...

I just started a new job though and their accommodations for bikes SUCK... a bike rack out front in a high traffic area... so i'm picking up an old used MTB... the redline stays as primarly a roadie type bike
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

I Ride for Donuts
    Build your own build your own build your own build your own build your own build your own.

It's a blast and you'll never buy a complete bike again. Plus your bike will be taylor made to your particular commute.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    There wasn't any Redline's at my local bike shop so I went for a Kona Dr. Dew. It should arrive in two weeks. I've never built a bike before so for this one I bought stock. Thanks again for the suggestions.