mtbr member

Looking for new commuter bike

Last week I was hit by a car and my daily commuter has since been unridable. I haven't yet received an offer from the drivers insurance company, but I have two estimates on repair costs from two LBS. So, I'm looking for a new daily commuter with some specifics in mind.

Steel frame. I've been in love with steel for years, and every time I stray, I find myself regretting it.

Disc brakes are a must. If it doesn't have disc, I'm not looking at it.

CX/relaxed geometry. This isn't a must, but it is preferable.

These are what I have in mind so far.

Jamis Bosanova - this is the highest in the list. I've rode Jamis for years, and have somewhat of a loyalty to them.
    Surly Straggler - because it's awesome.

KHS Urban Xtreme - this is pretty low on the list. Price is good, but components are eh.

What else can you think of to add to the list? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Soma Double Cross Disc, but the Bosanova is a much better deal if you are going for a complete. Take a look at the Salsa Vaya and Specilaized AWOL as well.
    Last edited by scubaklook; 4 Days Ago at 10:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have and love a 2014 Bossanova. It is not light but, with the Axiom rear rack, it is as nearly perfect for riding in sun and rain as anything I have found. The only thing I have changed is the saddle, the only thing I expect to change is the handle bars. The drop bars work well even if my added brake levers do eat up some space on the dashboard. I would like a wider spread at the bottom of the drops so that my mirror could see around my knees.

The discs on the Bossanova are a little more fiddly than I would like. They have never failed to stop and give plenty of feedback when I don't want to skid, but they need regular attention to not rub in the first few hundred miles. The Aurora Elite was another option for me when I got the Bossanova, had better (?) discs and a slightly longer touring frame.

If you are serious about the Jamis bikes, it is well worth checking with the lbs on last year's models. Mine was almost $400 under msrp as a lot leftover ordered through the lbs. The only difference I see in the model years is paint color.

Surly straggler is a nice piece of equipment. I drooled over one for quite a while. In the end, the Surly logo seemed more like an inducement to theft and the Jamis was much cheaper.

I also spent a lot of time debating between the Bossanova and a Kona Rove Aluminum. The Kona was a little cheaper with fewer gears and an aluminum frame. The test ride made me smile for days. Rove, Sutra, and Rove AL might be worth a look. The steel versions are more spendy than the Jamis competition, but pretty enticing all the same.

jrm
    mtbr member
    on one kaffenback 2. Flat or drop bar compatible. My pompino has the same "compact" geometry . It fits really well .

mtbr member
    Kaffenback looks cool. But may be out of budget, especially paying for customs and shipping.

jrm
    mtbr member
    it can be bought from planet x in the US or on one in the UK. The shipping is totally affordable from the UK. Heck it could even be free