Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Looking for a helmet for commuting

I'm looking for something for commuting to and from work. I work second shift so I leave at 1 am. I would really like a helmet with a tail light built in or made for one to attach to. I would also like it to have a bit more coverage in the back then your normal $50 or $60 helmet. I cant really find any thing other then the normal helmets every one has.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Check out some of the helmets made by Lazer, almost any bike shop can get them, if they don't stock. The company makes a light that integrates into pretty much every helmet except their aero styles.

Uvex makes something similar, too, I believe.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Check out the Specialized helmets, specifically their mountain biking line. They offer more coverage in the back. As for a light, where there is a will, there is a way to mount one.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2040/2500

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to order the Uvex city 9. I like the built in tail light. Universal Cycles -- Uvex City 9 Helmet - White

Check out the Bell Muni. I believe the Blackburn Flea lights will attach to it (front and rear). Helmet is hi-vis yellow with reflective bits on it. There's also a mirror that will clip onto the visor, if you want.

mtbr member

I use the Specialized Echelon in Ion (safety yellow) with reflective trim. I easily attached a Serfas seat stay taillight to the back without any trouble. I since changed it out for a set of red LED strips powered by a rechargeable 9v battery.

mtbr member

There we are...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post

There we are...
    Ok now thats cool. Where do you put the battery?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Keep in mind a few minutes with sandpaper and some epoxy and you can glue a light mount onto any helmet that doesn't already have a place for one. I wouldn't make my buying decision based on an integrated light.

mtbr member
    ^^ +1. This is the second third helmet that I have put this DIY Planet Bike light back on. Currently with a Turbo in it:

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Keep in mind a few minutes with sandpaper and some epoxy and you can glue a light mount onto any helmet that doesn't already have a place for one. I wouldn't make my buying decision based on an integrated light.
    Great point.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Ok now thats cool. Where do you put the battery?
    The 9v is attached by super strong Velcro on the back of the helmet. It's no exaggeration when I say that I noticed absolutely no difference in before and after installation.

mtbr member
    So I was out running around today and stopped at Performance. I ended up getting a Flash Yellow Lazer 02 helmet and my Serfas Thunderbolt tail light fits nicely on the back of it. If you haven't checked this light out you should its retarted bright and big. https://www.serfas.com/products/view...%7Ctail-lights Not quite the setup I was orginally going for but the light is allot brighter then what I would have gotten with the Uvex. And I ordered the winter pad set for the Lazer so it should work better when it cold then having to put something under it.

mtbr member

Several of us run the Serfas Thunderbolt taillight, and TenSpeed has two Thunderbolt headlights on his bars. The taillight on high produces a true 90 lumens, and if you have the white body, offers good side visibility. The spill is excellent, as is the focus. Since removing my pannier rack due to technical difficulties, the thunderbolt attaches on my seat tube, and I rest the bottom portion on the seat clamp, allowing me to have a horizontal output from the light while being mounted at a slanted angle.

On a completely unrelated note, the word is "retarded", and I'm not sure a word with the definition meaning "slowed, deminished, or lacking advancement" would be the one I would choose to describe the Thunderbolt. Also, be aware of what you're saying and how it can be perceived on the internet, when one is unable to see body language and hear vocal inflection. There are those who are easily offended by such things, and while it usually isn't the specific situation that offends, it can certainly bring up painful memories or start things off on the wrong foot. I say this completely out of charity and as the father of an autistic son. I know you had no intention of offending, or of speaking ill of anyone. Just simply offering a bit of fraternal guidance for later on.

Also, I'm gonna have to look onto the helmet. Haven't heard of it before.

I'd rather be on my bike
    The light is ridiculous. Cannot wait to get out there with two of the headlights on the bar. Running a single tail, and I feel like I can be seen on the moon with this thing. Never thought about mounting one on the back of the helmet though. Might be more visible, although with my bag it might not be. Will check it out!
    2014 miles - 2040/2500

mtbr member
    Sorry I'm not vary PC particularly when talking about inanimate objects. I thought I would post a few pics of my set up. I plan on getting some yellow reflective tape to put on the sides of the helmet too.
    Looking for a helmet for commuting-20140216_225844.jpg
    Looking for a helmet for commuting-20140216_225908.jpg

mtbr member

It has nothing to do with being politically correct.

That helmet and light combo seem to be made for each other, from what can be seen in the pics.

I'd rather be on my bike
    How is it attached to the helmet? Just using the basic strap that came with the light, placed through the vents?
    2014 miles - 2040/2500

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Several of us run the Serfas Thunderbolt taillight, and TenSpeed has two Thunderbolt headlights on his bars. The taillight on high produces a true 90 lumens, and if you have the white body, offers good side visibility. The spill is excellent, as is the focus. Since removing my pannier rack due to technical difficulties, the thunderbolt attaches on my seat tube, and I rest the bottom portion on the seat clamp, allowing me to have a horizontal output from the light while being mounted at a slanted angle.

On a completely unrelated note, the word is "retarded", and I'm not sure a word with the definition meaning "slowed, deminished, or lacking advancement" would be the one I would choose to describe the Thunderbolt. Also, be aware of what you're saying and how it can be perceived on the internet, when one is unable to see body language and hear vocal inflection. There are those who are easily offended by such things, and while it usually isn't the specific situation that offends, it can certainly bring up painful memories or start things off on the wrong foot. I say this completely out of charity and as the father of an autistic son. I know you had no intention of offending, or of speaking ill of anyone. Just simply offering a bit of fraternal guidance for later on.

Also, I'm gonna have to look onto the helmet. Haven't heard of it before.
    Just wondering about the bold part. The white body offers more side visibility?
    2014 miles - 2040/2500

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I like Uvex helmets for commuting, because the strap is so easy to adjust for headbands underneath etc.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Just wondering about the bold part. The white body offers more side visibility?
    The white silicone body illuminates red as well, I suppose from undirected secondary light. It was a good amount, so much so that it was the deciding factor in either white or black. I wouldn't allow the inability to get white deter me from purchasing the light, however. The good news is, I believe you can purchase replacement body covers from Serfas for a small amount.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I never even considered that. I went with black 100% based on aesthetics to match my seat post so it wouldn't stand out. I did order replacement straps for the headlights, because they were too long for my handlebars, so I got the shorter straps. Serfas has terrible shipping if anyone was wondering.
    2014 miles - 2040/2500

mtbr member

I never even considered that. I went with black 100% based on aesthetics to match my seat post so it wouldn't stand out. I did order replacement straps for the headlights, because they were too long for my handlebars, so I got the shorter straps. Serfas has terrible shipping if anyone was wondering.
    Yikes. Thanks for the heads up. I was about to order some replacement straps myself, since I broke the ones I had. I'm such a freaking clutz sometimes.

mtbr member
    How is it attached to the helmet? Just using the basic strap that came with the light, placed through the vents?
    Yes but there kind of stretched. I might try some of the long rubber bands that come with the Garmin mounts and see if I can make them work a little better.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Well, Serfas sells replacement straps. The taillight comes with the shorter, and the headlight comes with the longer, at least mine did. You can order replacements of either, so you may want to try that. I got 4 short straps for $10, which is pretty decent.
    2014 miles - 2040/2500

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast