Two Wheeled Terror

Looking at bikes to commute with

I have been riding my fs bike to work and pretty much everywhere for a while. I love it out on the trails but I have been wanting to get a bike to train with at the same time. So I've found two bikes after researching a lot and reading a ton of info. I usually ride with a pack but I am not alien to rear racks. I have this compulsion every time I ride to go faster or otherwise improve my commute and there is no dirt really in my commute unless I make a detour. So here are the bikes.

http://29palms.bookoo.com/i/35992903
    Its a 07 Giant STP ss for $300 as that's all I would offer.

and choice #2
    http://bikesdirect.com/products/merc...tt_wt_xiii.htm
    Mercier kilo wt $479 shipped

I like choice number two because it would train more cardio in me but I like #1 because it looks like it would hold up to my 200lbs better and it has disc brakes. All insights are appreciated. I'm still new to commuting and just getting back into biking. The road frame would be my first as well. Other bike suggestions are also welcome. There are so many bike brands out there that are of quality it makes my head spin.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    The giant is meant for dirtjumping which I wouldn't think would be great for commuting. If you're looking for a disc hardtail getting something with XC geometry would probably be a much better starting point - Giant Revel, Specialized stumprockhardjumperhopper, or pretty much anything that's not a dirtjumper.

As for the road bike, I quite like my singlespeeds and think that everyone should try it. But singlespeed also might not be for everyone.

mtbr member
    Definitely not that Giant, doesn't make any sense to buy a DJ bike for commuting. Peruse craiglist, there's a million SS road bikes on there.

Two Wheeled Terror
    I am keeping my eye on craigslist and there is my lbs as well. I don't think many out here do the ss thing though.

Thanks for the advice on the bikes. I have seen all kinds of bikes and some are awesome but you're right about the xc geo. I really do like the feel of my current bike but shedding weight would be awesome.

I did see a surly 1x1 and that caught my eye. It would definitely be more expensive but how hard would building a bike be?

Hand typed and Telegraphed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    I did see a surly 1x1 and that caught my eye. It would definitely be more expensive but how hard would building a bike be?
    Depends, really. You need the right tools and some knowledge, but the internet is obviously great for things you don't know how to do. There's a few very specialized tools you need, bottom bracket tool which depends on what kind of BB you get, headset press. Otherwise you just need to make sure you get all parts that work together (English BB, right size headset, correct rear spacing, seatpost diameter, just to name a few).

It's a great learning experience once you do it. Setting up a SS is much easier than setting up a geared bike, one of the hardest things to do IMO is setting up the derailleurs. Takes a lot of practice to really get it right.

mtbr member
    Spend some time poking around on jenson or pricepoint and put together a parts wishlist:

bar, stem, crankset, bottom bracket, brakes, wheels, tires, cables, pedals, seatpost, saddle, fork(?), cog/cassette/shifters/(?)

That exercise will probably discourage you, because all the little parts add up and it's pretty impossible to build something for less than $1k. It's certainly fun, but expensive.

If you've got a bike co-op around that can be a good route to go for cheap parts and to avoid needing to buy tools.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    It's a great learning experience once you do it.
    +1
    It`s a blast, and might even save money in the long run if it gives you the know-how and confidence to take on all your own maintenance rather than schlepping your bike off to the shop for it.
    And think of the need to buy tools as an advantage (excuse) rather than a downside

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    That exercise will probably discourage you, because all the little parts add up and it's pretty impossible to build something for less than $1k. It's certainly fun, but expensive.

If you've got a bike co-op around that can be a good route to go for cheap parts and to avoid needing to buy tools.
    SS is more your dept than mine, but does it still add up so much with the simplified drivetrain?

And yeah, co-ops are just like toy stores + playgrounds rolled into one. Great place to start.

EDIT: You can get most of the learning and "did it myself" glow and spend a lot less on parts if you buy an old bike, tear it down to bare frame, and and reassemble it into a different beast.
    Recalculating....

Two Wheeled Terror
    Yep I definitely noticed the 1k pricepoint lol. That didn't scare me but I am definitely not awesomely knowledgeable on parts when it comes to bicycles. I have a decent compromise though. I found an 06 or 07 rockhopper for 375 within the localish area. That gives me a working bike from which I can research, modify, and shed weight from and its not bad in the weight dept. Here's the link. I definitely appreciate the help. I don't mind spending money....its being wasteful with it.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/3962060947.html

I did find this khs as well. I kinda like the rockhopper look better

http://www.yuccavalley.bookoo.com/i/35795995

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    That rockhopper seems like it has potential. I can't tell from the photos, but make sure the fork has a lockout. And if you want to go ss you'll probably need a tensioner and some freehub spacers.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    SS is more your dept than mine, but does it still add up so much with the simplified drivetrain?
    frame - $200
    bar - $30
    grips - $10
    stem - $30
    headest - $30
    crankset w bb - $100
    brakes - $100
    wheels - $150
    tires - $60
    cables - $20
    pedals - $30
    seatpost - $30
    saddle - $30

That's $790. A basic fork brings that to $900. Derailleurs and shifters probably add $150. I think those prices are reasonable budgets for the internet, even if a few dollars could be saved here or there with deals. You could also spend way more without much effort. It's the general ballpark, anyway.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    frame - $200
    bar - $30
    grips - $10
    stem - $30
    headest - $30
    crankset w bb - $100
    brakes - $100
    wheels - $150
    tires - $60
    cables - $20
    pedals - $30
    seatpost - $30
    saddle - $30

That's $790. A basic fork brings that to $900.
    Yeah, I guess you`re right. A few items in your list look a little high, but not crazy expensive, and that`s still keeping it pretty "econo" in the wheels & tires dept.

Come on, Co-op! (or Craigslist)
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    A few items in your list look a little high, but not crazy expensive
    You can run into the problem I did when I was building up my co-op bike:

"I need brakes. The co-op's are old and crappy and mismatched. I'll just order some cheap ones online. But I'm not going to order the crappy $12 tektro ones. Those Deore should be pretty good for $27. But those avids for $34 seem a lot nicer. And this is probably the last time I'll ever buy v-brakes, so I might as well get something good, right?"

And before you know it you've spent $70 on v-brakes of all things. (But for the record they're great brakes.)

Two Wheeled Terror
    I'm jumping on the rockhopper. Its in great condition plus the size should be right for 6'. I am pretty sure it has a lockout but I am waiting on confirmation on that.

Thanks for the tip on the rockhopper! These things are everywhere in every condition lol.

While I'm at asking questions what is the deal with brooks saddles? They look nice but from what people say about them you would swear it makes you breakfast its so good.

Two Wheeled Terror

Re: Looking at bikes to commute with

+1
    It`s a blast, and might even save money in the long run if it gives you the know-how and confidence to take on all your own maintenance rather than schlepping your bike off to the shop for it.
    And think of the need to buy tools as an advantage (excuse) rather than a downside

And yeah, co-ops are just like toy stores + playgrounds rolled into one. Great place to start.

EDIT: You can get most of the learning and "did it myself" glow and spend a lot less on parts if you buy an old bike, tear it down to bare frame, and and reassemble it into a different beast.
    I have a full set of tools for my Toyotas and I am looking at picking up some of the specialized tools as I go. First one being a cable tool to do my cables on the squishy bike.

I have an old road bike (spalding blade) that I got for absolutely nothing that is sitting around. Not made for ss but I saw the surly chain tensioner last night so I'm going to do my first as build on that. Everything on the bike is pretty much trash lol. Rims are toast, cables rusted, cranks click and feel rough etc etc.

I would really like to do some new paint on it so it will be a longer build.

mtbr member
    Id change out the knobbies on the bike for a more street friendly tire. I noticed a nice difference in speed when i did.

Two Wheeled Terror

Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    Id change out the knobbies on the bike for a more street friendly tire. I noticed a nice difference in speed when i did.
    I did some research on that. Great tip! Looks like big apples are popular and a tire from Maxxis. For the life of me I can't remember it though lol. I didn't realize they made such concrete friendly tires for MTB. I had assumed that they were a result from poor identification on the product.

blet drive
    look at the new cross rip from trek ... looks sick
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Two Wheeled Terror

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    look at the new cross rip from trek ... looks sick
    Still saving for a brand new bike but its going to be an all mountain if everything works out. Still a year out though.