Ride More
    Jan 2004

Long Haul Trucker STI compatibility

Hello,

I bought a Surly Longhaul trucker off the shelf and was looking to make some changes. It is a 3x9 set up with the 26 inch wheels.

I was planning on switching out the bar end shifters and brakes for a cheap set of STI shifters. I was looking at getting Shimano ST-3503 SORA STI 3 x 9 Speed as the STI's and then V brakes - maybe XT or something similar. I had two compatibility questions - should the rear shifter work with my existing XT rear der and cassette (the current rear shimano shifter says 'compatible with RD 7700 9sp')? Also, will the brake pull ratio's be ok or would i need to get some sort of brake pull ratio modifier? Any direction would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance!
    Drew

Long Haul Trucker STI compatibility

You need a brake pull ratio modifier (travel agent).

Not sure about 9spd Shimano road shifters, but 10spd Shimano road shifters will work with a 9spd mtn derailleur on a 10spd cassette

weirdo
    Yeah, you`ll need an adaptor for V- brakes. They aren`t very expensive:
    Problem Solvers
    If you keep the straddle cantis, the STI levers will work directly.

Should have no problem with the rear derailler as long as the "speeds" match between the shifter and cassette, but you MIGHT have a problem with the front shifting. By my understanding, road and mouintain front deraillers use a different pull rate. The STI front shifter will pull for a road derailler, and your bar end front shifter, being friction only, will work with any FD, so no telling what kind of indexed shifter the derailler wants. If I were you, I`d try it with the derailler you already have, then plan to replace with a road FD if necessary. Of course, if you already know whether your derailler is "road" or "mountain", you`ll know ahead of time whether it`s supposed to work with STI and you can order everything at the same time.
    Recalculating....

Ride More
    Jan 2004
    Thanks! All the info above is super helpful.

Drew

Human Test Subject
    Check out the mountain pull retro shift shifters. They should work without any adapters and are cheaper and less flimsy than Sora.

Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Check out the mountain pull retro shift shifters. They should work without any adapters and are cheaper and less flimsy than Sora.
    I just ordered some. They're pretty much out. I ordered a set of CXV-1's, and that's all they had left. For a 1x10 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    let me know what you do with your old bar-end shifters. I want them.

weirdo
    ^^Hehe, good shot, Mack. They`re my preferred shifters too
    The OP`s set has one too many clicks for me, though.
    Recalculating....

Ride More
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    let me know what you do with your old bar-end shifters. I want them.
    I will have the shifters and the brake levers. Would you want them both? 6 months old. What would you want to pay?

Drew

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP, another option for brakes is mini-Vs. You give up some clearance but they work natively with road levers. They can be quite cheap, so they may not even cost more than a pair of travel agents.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    ^^Good idea.
    And an alternate cable mounting might be an option if your FD is the wrong type. Sometimes by just clamping the cable on the "wrong" side of the clamp bolt, people have gotten shift/derailler combos to play well together even though they aren`t technically compatible. You`ll have to investigate or experiment to find out.
    Recalculating....

Ride More
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    ^^Good idea.
    And an alternate cable mounting might be an option if your FD is the wrong type. Sometimes by just clamping the cable on the "wrong" side of the clamp bolt, people have gotten shift/derailler combos to play well together even though they aren`t technically compatible. You`ll have to investigate or experiment to find out.
    The front derailler is tiagra, so the 3x9 should work out. Anyone looking for 6 month old bar end shifters?

jrm
    mtbr member
    As of this year Shimano makes a v-brake that works with STI shifters. Not sure about US availability so You may have purchase them oversees though.2013 Shimano Road V-brakes