Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Winter storm watch in effect for Wed...
    Ode To Spring
    Oh yeah! Wed noon- Thursday noon:

* Locations... the northern Adirondack Mountains... Champlain
    Valley... as well as central and northern Vermont... including the
    Northeast Kingdom.

* Hazard types... heavy snow.

* Accumulations... 10 to 20 inches of snow.

Also featuring on Thursday... High around 10F. Winds NW at 15 to 25 mph.

Nice ode! Doesn't seem to be working though.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I'm conflicted. The snow riding has been really good lately so I can wait a while but I am pretty sick of getting all layered up.

* Accumulations... 6 or more inches of snow and sleet possible
    along with the possibility of around a quarter inch of ice
    accretion in spots.

Actually, I just put the nail in the coffin of winter. I ordered a real pair of winter riding boots, Lake 303s. They hit my doorstep on Thursday and then the cold weather will be over.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Well, we've double jinxed it because I got a pair yesterday too, but more "foul weather" than what I would call true winter boots, some Diadora Polaris I got on Chainlove. I think they will be nice for spring/fall crossbike rides, which is the only bike I have clipless pedals on. That ice sounds killer.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Well we may be having our last blast of winter but you wouldn't know it by the wind jacket I wore today. It was warmer this morning for the first ten so I only wore a really thin jacket. Then the temps dropped to 36 and the wind picked-up 25 gusting to 40 (no kidding) and the ride home was generally crappy. Good thing I was only fighting a full head wind 20% of the time. Finished the ride only seeing two other bikes over the last 10 miles, I may not be the dumbest guy in town but I'm at least in the bottom three. Based on my under dressing, I might be the toughest of the dumbest.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    6C today but looking at 4-6" of snow overnight!!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Moderator Moderator
    Spring seems a long ways off with a record low for the date of -8F this morning and the 2' of snow we got Wed-Thurs.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Less than a week away! Riding home last night the sun in the sky said spring but the 15F temp, 0 degree windchill and blowing snow disagreed.

It will give me a chance to check out the new boots on Monday. Supposed to be 3F. With the warm temps tomorrow and then a hard freeze the trails should be pirme!

Moderator Moderator
    Egad, -11F here this morning. I did not feel very leprechaun-like on the ride in.

How did those boots do, Bedwards?

Moderator Moderator

If I were Bikeyface!

Today at work it looked just like Bikeyface's workplace, only I was not as well-dressed. Note the snowed in bike rack, glittering sidewalks and salt, and snow-free parking spaces as far as the eye can see.

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-p1030596-1024x768-.jpg
    The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-p1030595-1024x768-.jpg
    The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-p1030598-1024x768-.jpg
    The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-p1030600-1024x768-.jpg
    The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-p1030599-1024x768-.jpg

If You Were Me | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^That's nice, they piled the snow up where you lock your bike so it would stand up on it's own.

The boots are pretty good. I've worn them down to about 0F and my big toes get a little cool but not painful. I think it's about the best I can expect. I picked them up for <$200 on Nashber.

March was in like a lion and out like another lion. We got about 6" of wet heavy snow with more on the way for Sat and then another cold snap. I'm actually having a lot of fun with the trail rides but I'm ready to stop filling the oil tanks at home.

How much snow did you get in VT?

Moderator Moderator
    2' last week and 4" last night here. Snowed on the way in, but close to freezing and sloppy.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I actually threw the bike in the back of my wife's car this AM. I'll ride home tonight. It's supposed to be all cleared up by then.

Moderator Moderator

Induced Hypothermia - Killing a Patient to Save His/Her Life

Not bike-related, but you winter commuters will find this interesting...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/he...tml?ref=health

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Gonna start riding all year round in the Pacific northwest. Need to buy some good gloves and rain pants any suggestions

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I've been riding year-round in the Seattle area since 2008. As far as rain pants go, I gave up on them after about a year and went to Pearl Izumi Elite tights. The tights get wet, but you stay warm.

I've had good luck with Sugoi gloves.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Gonna look into those gloves and only reason i need rain pants is to put it over my uniform for work

Moderator Moderator
    The best gloves I've found for a cold rain are from Showers Pass. Pricey, but a better buy if you don't buy 2 others first.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    I run PI Elites down to 28 or so, Amphib tights down to 15 and both below that. Gloves wise I have specialized full finger MTBs for cool, PI Lobsters for really cold and a pair of neoprene running gloves in the middle. Still using Neoprene shoe covers when toe covers aren't enough, but I'm planning on converting some XC ski boots for winter clip in use this fall.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I found a decent jacket from dakine but no luck on pants

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I've got the showers pass storm pant. They are good quality for a pretty low price.
    Showers Pass Storm Pant at BikeTiresDirect

mtbr member

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread

Im attempting to ride this winter. Picked up 2 2" 4 rows of studs schwable marathon winter tires for $50 each on chair reaction cycles.

It gets to minus 40 here, we will see the limit. Luckily i have tons of moister wicking layering for mountain snowmobiling as well as gloves, balaclavas, boots and so on. Need to stay dry and mobile in the mountains same would be on a bike. Need to figure out pants and thinking of doing skinz hand guard/muffs and wearing smaller gloves. Running my rocky 29er with 2.1" specialized ground controls when studs not needed and run the studs on my 98 schwinn moab.

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51