Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    bicycle dreamer
    I had ice crystals forming on my balaclava earlier last week. Good times.

Being racked by a massive cold though, hopefully I'll be better tomorrow or else I need to take the cage to work on Tuesday.
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

oh crap...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak

What do you think? Should I keep 2 dedicated bikes or try to make a dual-duty machine?
    It really depends on your budget and how much storage for bikes you might have. I really prefer to have a dedicated off-road bike built for fast single-track riding. My other bikes are all variants between commuter and limited off road capability, mostly due to tire choice and full coverage fenders which bounce around a little too much for trail riding.

As someone else was saying, I had dreamed of building a dumpster diving bike but when I did, I found that I just didn't enjoy riding it as much. You'll notice earlier in the thread I posted my Karate Monkey commuter, it is a fine machine which rides great, but is subtle being all black and without stickers. I lock up both wheels and don't have QR. I use a U-lock with a cable loop and don't usually leave it locked up for more than a few hours at a time and never at night. I don't worry about it at all.
    Grow some food for yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

where does she get her advice from??

I wonder if she shops at rei? As for theft check out the wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

fux
    Scooterist
    I cycled 120 km`s to work yesterday, even though the shortest route is only 17km`s.

The La Cruz, is just perfect for winter commuting....
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

I Ride for Donuts
    23 Degrees ferenheit this morning. I think that's the coldest so far this year...makes me think about the single digits to come... I haven't broken out the balaclava yet, but I made the mistake of shaving this morning. Wow that was chilly on the old cheeks.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Worst yet has been an 8 degree morning. This AM was a fun ride. Ride home could be a doozy though.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Foggy as all hell this morning. Maybe I'm crazy, but I actually relish it. Born and bred in the Bay Area, I can't live without my fog!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    lubed my chain yesterday for the 1st time in a while. First day it was dry enough for me to hear the chitter-chatter of the rust instead of only hearing the rain rain rain rain rain. Right after I lubed, the rain was back for some pm errands but it was still pretty smooth this (dry) morning.

fux
    Scooterist
    23 here on my way home too.

The balaclava is out already, but It looks like I have to invest in some thicker wooly socks. My feet get it the worst.

Look on the bright side fellas...... Only another 4 months before we can loose our thermal undies....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    -6 (about 21 F)
    starting to think about faster tires instead of fatter... get me out of the cold quicker! LOL

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by fux
    23 here on my way home too.

The balaclava is out already, but It looks like I have to invest in some thicker wooly socks. My feet get it the worst.
    Try these. They are completely windproof...and they WERE waterproof for the first season or two. After 3 years the water sneaks in, but they are very warm and windproof:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/144...nder-Socks.htm

oh crap...

commuterBoy

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    That is hawt. I'm really liking the look. What bars are those?
    These are the Origin 8 Gary bars. I'll post a photo with the studded tires soon!
    Last edited by farmerfrederico; 12-04-2008 at 03:56 PM.
    Grow some food for yourself.

fux
    Scooterist
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Try these. They are completely windproof...and they WERE waterproof for the first season or two. After 3 years the water sneaks in, but they are very warm and windproof:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/144...nder-Socks.htm

Thanks for the link, I`ll give them a try.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Winter commuting has officially started here in Wisconsin. Biked in the snow on Wednesday and it is one degree out this morning. Ugh...

Bought myself a set of fenders for the bike and front/rear flashing lights as normally I only bike when there is no snow. The past two years I've walked during the winter as I only live about 1.5 miles from work. I'm trying to see if I can make it through the winter

I Ride for Donuts
    Thanks for the link, I`ll give them a try.

No problem. They took a little getting used to...I wear them over my regular socks so I don't have to wash them as often, and I put them on before my leg warmers or tights, so the cuff of the leg warmers/tights holds the top of the sock up...they don't have an elastic top like most socks. Hecka warm though. No more freezing ankles/feet.

mtbr member
    I'm planning on returning to bike commuting in a week or 2, haven't been on the bike since I broke my ankle in late September (a sloppy attempt at slowing down on a steep descent). Had the screw removed Thursday, it's still really swollen, today was the first time I've been able to put a work boot on it. Have to go for some physio, but I think pedalling a bike should be good for it. Just have to get back in shape on the trainer for a week or 2.

I had big plans to get a fixed gear commuter ready for this winter, but... I found it so difficult hobbling around with the cast that I just didn't feel like doing stuff. So it'll be the Nishiki touring bike most of the time with the old Norco Katmandu with studs for the snowy/icey days. I don't enjoy the slow draggy ride with the studded tires, but I like the quick transition from being vertical to horizontal when on the ice even less!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I cycled 120 km`s to work yesterday, even though the shortest route is only 17km`s.

The La Cruz, is just perfect for winter commuting....
    What light are you using there?????

Frt Range, CO

I'm in!

Just went for a 5 mile test ride in 10*F:
    Planet Bike Fenders, Titec Jones bars, Nexus 8 with drum brake, Kenda Small Block 8, Surly Rack, fork & chainring,
    Pearl Izumi Lobsters are too hot unless it's below 15*F, Shimano shoes are great.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ nice. I'm asking Santa for some of those gloves...tired of the tingly fingers.

Did anyone else pick up the latest copy of Bicycling magazine? There's a cover story on "Winter Riding Basics". I got excited and opened to the article, called "Winter Riding 101" in the table of contents....it's a one page description of how to work on your pedaling form using rollers, since you can't actually ride outside during the winter

I guess we're a different breed.

mtbr member

Re: tingly fingers

Have used the lobsters and salsa tostada's but really prefer plain old wool mittens. Now if my wife would make me some new ones!

-bustin punks

Helmet

I bought a Giro ski/snowboard helmet (Nine.9?) two winters ago, and it has been great for the winter ride. It has plugs that you can take in and out, and it fits over my PI microsensor balaclava.

2nd the softshell recommendation, I have an LL Bean version, it's the best winter "active" jacket I've ever owned.

I think i need to try some winter bibs, as my current method of layering cycling shorts/long underwear and Illuminite pants is a pain in the butt.

Lake MXZ300 boots and some of the medium weight Pearl Izumi Lobster mitts. My commute is about 8-9 miles each way, and unless it's really really cold, my toes usually stay pretty warm.

FCTi in SE Michigan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Crikey, looking at those pictures makes me feel chilly. It's a barmey -1C here at the moment, but my feet still get cold with in the breeze.

Damn this global warming!

mtbr member

Instantly Longer Lashes

Thought it was supposed to be 15-20 this AM oops. Zero.

bicycle dreamer

Finally had snow here last week. Changed my route around to include more bike paths to keep out of the path of the cars on one of the major roads here.

Studded tires = awesome. It's above freezing today so I almost didn't know how to dress. I've been real happy with my setup of Craft Storm Tights, ProZero / ProWarm baselayers, jerseys and shells. I have a set of the PI Barrier GTX Boots and they are amazing. Had to order a full size up though to fit 2 socks. I love toasty feet. I haven't had a chilly / numb ride yet, and we hit 6 degrees earlier this week.

40 tomorrow though ... almost time to break out the shorts!
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That is one sweet KM! I have a blacked out KM myself but am still trying to figure out how to fit some wooden fenders (custom from JeffTrek). I run V brakes and big tires so clearance is an issue. I just may have to go to skinner slicks for the winter.

Cheers!

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast