Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    fux
    Scooterist
    Yeah, we have a lot of that here....

More pics here.. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80811

Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Fux,
    that looks fun. Lucky man to have that close by. Where is that?

Double-metric mtb man
    Ok...to be fair...

This is what my little ride around town looked like yesterday...today there was another 4" of snow on it. My winter riding season ain't over yet (and pardon the cell phone shots)...

You can see why I hate all you folks in the southern states without snow on the ground, in short sleeved jerseys and saying "Winter ain't too bad"
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    After a week of long rides in 30-50 degree temps, we are about to get hammered with a foot of snow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

It's coming...

Got in a good 3 hours this morning, but the snow is starting to blow in. I communted on the snow bike today for good measure.

fux
    Scooterist
    Quote Originally Posted by big mario
    Fux,
    that looks fun. Lucky man to have that close by. Where is that?
    This is right out of my back yard, literely.

I live in a village 15km from kristiansand (southern most tip), lots of great trails here and they are all open to mtb`s.

EDIT:Oh, typical! On the map it says kristianstad... which is wrong name right place. Its a map off an american travel agency site!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    YAY winter is over in east Texas!!!
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Bedwards Of The West
    I still have snow on the ground as well..up into the high 20's in the mornings this week though...I actually rode home in shorts and short sleeves again yesterday...mid 50's. We're getting there, but there isn't a 'trail' around here that isn't still buried in snow. Won't be long before the sun is up again on my morning commute though. That's always a glorious moment...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Nokian 300's ordered

As the summer continues to draw to an end I've decided to prep the winter commuter bike while there is no white stuff on the ground. I ordered Nokian 300's today and started to prepare a list of things need to do on the winter commuter. Living in North Dakota where the winters are long and snowy and of course cold I am looking for tips to prepare the winter rig. Its a single speeded GF opie. Does anyone have any tips to prepare? Special chain lubes or grease needed? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger
    ...oes anyone have any tips to prepare? Special chain lubes or grease needed? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
    Those are good things to ask about. I'm no expert myself, but I can at least offer some words based on my own experience.

For chain lube I would definitely recommend oil-based instead of fancy silicone or wax or teflon products. Especially when there's salt and slush, a good oil coating helps prevent rust. When the road spray raises more grit you'll need to clean and re-lube often, so why waste money on expensive stuff you'll just be washing off?

I've tried straight 40-weight motor oil, dunking the whole chain in a can of it but I think I prefer the heavier Phil Tenacious Oil. It seems to stick better and not get thrown around as much.

As for grease, I have not been as happy with a clear silicone grease because it seems to get displaced by water and dirty up. I like Panef Garage Door Opener grease because it stays in place well and doesn't thicken up at low temperatures.

That's all I have to offer. Any other opinions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My fave lube is Finish Line "Wet", in the green bottles/spray can. Lasts for ages and really good in the wet.

I've just bought myself some rather splendid Altura "Night Vision" wet weather gear in prep for all the rain to come in England. Tried it on just before the weekend and it works a treat, really very good at night as well with amazingly bright reflective stripes/patterns on them.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    As the summer continues to draw to an end I've decided to prep the winter commuter bike while there is no white stuff on the ground. I ordered Nokian 300's today and started to prepare a list of things need to do on the winter commuter. Living in North Dakota where the winters are long and snowy and of course cold I am looking for tips to prepare the winter rig. Its a single speeded GF opie. Does anyone have any tips to prepare? Special chain lubes or grease needed? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
    I ride a full suspension, full geared bike with studs all winter long in Calgary...

What works for me,

Pedro's Ice Wax lube, only used one chain all winter, with other stuff went through two or three.

Needed to upgrade the Shimano XT BB with enduroseals bearings and cups, (Shimano, stock died really quick)

Needed to upgrade wheel bearings again I went Enduroseals hybrid. Went through Shimano cup and cones really fast.

Went with Kool stop brake pads way better than Shimano's both performance (icing up) and wear.

Went to a Chris King head set, cause a headset would only last one season...but still need to grease up mid winter...

Shimano Cn-77001 chain works well...

Most problems center around salt getting into things, and screwing them up, so seals and grease (yup normal teflon filled grease). And sticky pistons on the calipers.

I have found that well built high quality parts function better are more economic than the cheaper throw aways,,,mind you I am riding 6 days a week all year..

One thing in ND you will get cold enough to get brake icing...

you Brake, warm the rotor up enough to get a thin film of water on it and the pads..

Then you go down the next hill, you pull on the brake and nothing happens cause it is ice on ice, so no heat builds up....

Grab the brakes and hammer them off and on, this kinda wiggles the rotor a bit to get the ice to fall off...

All in all quite exciting when it happens.

Which way? Uphill.
    I used Ernesto's Soy Lube last winter and was thoroughly impressed. It is now my all-season commuter lube and my lube for the Pugsley in the winter.

http://www.ernestolube.com/

Seriously long lasting, but will collect a lot of dirt in dry dusty conditions. I thought I was doing well with 200-300 miles on Dumonde Tech on the commuter, with this I am getting 400-800 miles depending on weather. It's so nice that it allows me to do what I want, neglect the commuter, nothing worse than working on the commuter all the time.

I just looked back at the last time I re-lubed and it looks like I got a little over 1200 miles before re-lubing. Incredible, or I forget to mark the last time I lubed...
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

Bedwards Of The West
    Nice to see the old thread back for more...although I want to enjoy these mornings in shorts and a jersey for as long as I can.

The motor oil suggestion got me thinking...anyone else have a chainsaw? Bar/Chain oil is seriously thick/tacky stuff. I wonder if that would make a good winter lube?

I will admit that I tried motorcycle chain lube once, and it was a nightmare. Took weeks to get it all off of my shoes, bike, chain, sprockets... Works well on the dirt bike, but wow, what a mess on the commuter.

They don't use salt on the roads around here, so I carry on with the white lightning wax-based stuff. Part of my commute is on dirt roads, and I've grown to hate oil-based stuff because it attracts the dirt so bad. I guess when it's packed snow/ice it wouldn't be an issue, but I've never had problems using the wax-based stuff. I do pull the chain off and clean it really good every 2 or 3 weeks during the winter though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    maximum respect for you guys!!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Really?

I had completely opposite results.
    I got a bunch of that stuff free at races so I figured I'd try it.
    Super 'dirty' and attracted lots of dirt/dust as you mentioned which in turn gunked up my cassette pretty good. I had to clean and relube my chain every other ride in the summer.

Maybe it works better in the cold?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've bought a new headlight in preparation for this winter. Up until now I've been using cheap (<$30) led headlights. The light I bought is the Cygolite Mitycross 350 and I'm hoping that it will be a wise investment.

I have more than enough gear for the cold weather; I just have to break it out again. I've already made up my mind that temperature isn't going to be a deciding factor of whether I ride or drive. However, I know that there will be days that I won't be able to ride because of road conditions.

I can't really say that I'm looking forward to this winter, but I'm as ready as I'm ever going to get for it and I plan on making the most of it.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Bedwards Of The West
    Shayne - are you letting it set up overnight before you ride on it? The wax stuff takes a few hours to really harden up, and will attract dirt the first few hours. I apply at night and give it a good 8 hours. Also, not the 'race day' thin stuff, but the original white lightening. Works great for me...

Solomon - good call. I had a bad wreck last year that I blame on my crappy headlight.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    I love white lightning. No beef with that. I've been using it almost exclusively since it was introduced.

I was talking about the Ernesto soy lube

Bedwards Of The West
    aaahhh got it. If soy ruins lube as bad as it ruined milk, I don't want any part of it.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    I had completely opposite results.
    I got a bunch of that stuff free at races so I figured I'd try it.
    Super 'dirty' and attracted lots of dirt/dust as you mentioned which in turn gunked up my cassette pretty good. I had to clean and relube my chain every other ride in the summer.

Maybe it works better in the cold?
    Yeah, I figured that might be the case for typical MTB rides. That's why I only use it on the commuter, which covers a whopping 200 meters of dirt everyday. The Pugsley is riding around on snow, once again no appreciable amount of dirt to build up.

I would consider it if I know I am going to be in really muddy conditions or knew that there would be multiple/long water crossings in a mountain bike ride though.

I still stick with the Dumonde Tech for regular dirt rides, but for commuting and snow, Ernesto's Soy Lube gets the nod.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have the same light Solomon and it works great. Not big but big light output.

mtbr member
    Yup.. summers drawing to an end and its time for me to think about setting up the commuter for the winter.

First thing is a new headlamp. Ive been using the Sigma Evo for the past couple years but I dont feel like squinting anymore to see this year. I was gonna give the Magicshine 900 lumen light a try.

Other than that, some permant fenders are comming on and am thinking of some new tires.

My winters here in Germany are fairly mild, not too much snow but it is always wet and ice is a big problem. Last year I had a couple of washouts cause of black ice. Can any of you guys recommend studded tires? Do they really help out or is there just too much rolling resistance for the small advantage. Right now I am running Maxxis Holy Rollers.

The Commuter:
    DSC03766.JPG
    Sorry for the bad pic.

fux
    Scooterist
    Its getting cold again, the sun is getting up later but on a good note its been dry enough for me to use my road bike as a commuter the last few weeks, before it gets religated to Taxc Fortius for the winter..

Very bad mobile pics, but the view of the sunrise is spectacular this time of year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by fux
    Its getting cold again, the sun is getting up later but on a good note its been dry enough for me to use my road bike as a commuter the last few weeks, before it gets religated to Taxc Fortius for the winter..

Very bad mobile pics, but the view of the sunrise is spectacular this time of year.
    Great pics, as always Fux. Thanks for sharing!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

fux
    Scooterist
    Thanx, but as usual I must have opened my mouth a bit too soon.

I was on a group ride today and it rained constantly!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by fux
    Thanx, but as usual I must have opened my mouth a bit too soon.

I was on a group ride today and it rained constantly!
    At least you have some definable seasons there in Norway! Here in California we're just now getting our sumer weather.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ SOUTHERN California. Not so in the whole state. I'm in California and my mornings are now in the low 40's (F). Broke out the headlight for the first time this morning...I can feel the long descent into winter coming. The leaves are starting to turn and it's starting to get that crispy fall smell in the mornings and evenings. This Wednesday by the way is the Autumnal Equinox, when the northern and southern hemispheres get the same amount of sunlight...and from there until December 22nd it gets nothing but colder and darker. A beautiful thought

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    ^^ SOUTHERN California. Not so in the whole state. I'm in California and my mornings are now in the low 40's (F). Broke out the headlight for the first time this morning...I can feel the long descent into winter coming. The leaves are starting to turn and it's starting to get that crispy fall smell in the mornings and evenings. This Wednesday by the way is the Autumnal Equinox, when the northern and southern hemispheres get the same amount of sunlight...and from there until December 22nd it gets nothing but colder and darker. A beautiful thought

Frost on the grass this morning really late usually at least two weeks earlier...

Shorts were a little bit cold.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ I do shorts/short sleeves as long as I can tolerate it...I think it helps prepare for those single digit days later in the winter. Each new layer of clothing is a milestone that I put off as long as possible. Anyone else do that?

NormalNorm
    aaahhh got it. If soy ruins lube as bad as it ruined milk, I don't want any part of it.
    Pretty much my thoughts..

How can you make lube outta beans. Odd....I'm not sold on soy as a lube.'

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

tubes and air pressure's

All of the help has been great I really can't say enough how much it has helped me. One more subject that I still would like some input on is tubes and air pressure's. I recieved my nokian's they look like great fun but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on a certain tube that they use and air pressures. tire slim in the winter?

Bedwards Of The West
    Do you mean slime? I could go on for days about how much I hate that stuff, and winter is at the top of the "why I hate it" list. I would say no, don't use it in the winter. Don't use it ever...but especially in the winter! My experience has been that it freezes when I keep the bike in the garage. Unofficially 14 degrees Farenheit is the point at which Slime becomes a big glob at the low point in your tire while it's hanging in the garage, so when you go out and hit the road, you feel like you're riding a clown bike...very strange feeling. Maybe if you went REALLY light with how much you put in, but it's not worth it to me. Where I live we have these thorns calld 'goatheads', and most of them are dead and gone in the winter anyway... I get more flats in the summer and fall due to thorns, in winter the biggest issue is just the cold. The other factor is just how hard it is to change a tube when it's that flipping cold... add a messy pile of slime to that situation, and it just gets worse. The mess and the freezing factor make it totally not worth the trouble in my opinion.

I don't change air pressure...I'm not running studs or anything though...currently running Vittoria 'cross tires (I'm a little nervous for now narrow they are for the winter on my dirt (mud) road... my old ones were 700x35's and they were a challenge. These are 28's... I might have to look into the 29er tire market before the snow starts flying.

Anyway, no special tubes, no special pressure for me. As it gets colder you will notice the pressure decreasing in your tires though...you have to check them more often since cold air takes up less space than warm air. They will feel rock hard when they're in the living room, and squishy out on the road when it's really cold.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    All of the help has been great I really can't say enough how much it has helped me. One more subject that I still would like some input on is tubes and air pressure's. I recieved my nokian's they look like great fun but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on a certain tube that they use and air pressures. tire slim in the winter?

I have used Stans with Nokian studs without tubes on a UST rim with sucess, )a pinch flat in the cold is a *****).

Tire pressure matters with studs...

The M&G has two rows of studs, off center, with lower tire pressure the studs make more contact with the ground, higher pressure less contact, you can tell from the buzzing sound the studs make...

The Freddy Revenz has a stud on each knob kinda four rows, although all make contact, a harder tire will reduce the contact of the of the side studs...

Play with it if your riding on a skating rink you probably want a little less pressure, if your just looking for protection from the odd ice patch a little more pressure.

too little pressure though an the studs just push up into the tire too much.

mtbr member
    How long is your commute?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

The distance is

The distance that I commute is about 6 miles or so one way so 12 miles a day in the ND winter will be awesome

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    The only few things I like about the winter months are 1. Winter riding 2. Playing in the snow on the farm with dirtbikes/trikes/trucks 3. The fact that people tend to stay inside.

My winter bike is going to be my dad's F7(He won't use it during the winter, just have to maintence it all the time). I'll be getting a set of studs for when it gets icey. And I'm rebuilding my F8 into a SS trail bike. This should be a good winter.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

Bedwards Of The West
    Well I went with shorts today... mistake! I knew it was going to be colder than it has been, but I got to work and found out it was 31 degrees F. That's a brisk 6 mile ride in shorts. At least I had a long sleeve t-shirt on.

Time to break out the leg warmers.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone use knickers?

I've been using shorts and a long sleeve thermal shirt with full finger gloves and the legs are getting a bit chilly, but I'm not ready for wind pants with longjohns.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ I use shorts and leg warmers...then the warmers can come off for the ride home. I've never been a knicker guy... Seems like they would help on the knees though.

Bedwards Of The West
    double post

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Are leg warmers comfortable? I've never worn them, or knickers for that matter.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Well I went with shorts today... mistake! I knew it was going to be colder than it has been, but I got to work and found out it was 31 degrees F. That's a brisk 6 mile ride in shorts. At least I had a long sleeve t-shirt on.

Time to break out the leg warmers.
    Weird. I was up in the South Shore area this weekend and it was beautiful. This guy at the kayak rental place told me that they were having the best weather they'd had all month. As we were leaving Monday morning I could tell it was already turning much colder. Same story once we got back to the Bay Area. I wonder if fall is really here or if it's just going to get hot again in a week? It's funny though, riding to work this afternoon, my lungs were really burning. Guess they aren't used to the cooler air yet?

Bedwards Of The West
    Homebrew - Leg warmers are totally comfortable. I had a cheaper pair from pricepoint and they had some down-slipping issues at first, but I've started puting them on before my shorts (baggies with lycra/chamois sewn in), and then put the shorts on, and the shorts hold the top of the leg warmers in place...haven't had an issue with them since. I recently got a nicer (pearl izumi) pair, and they don't slip anywhere. They're very nice. When they are on they feel like you're wearing tights. You don't even think about them.

Gary, we were under a 'weather advisory' at the end of the weekend, and they said highs wed/thurs would be 30 degrees lower than they were on sat/sun. Crazy low pressure system or something... It's been really windy too. it's supposed to creep back up to the 70's by the weekend though. It was pushing 90 before last weekend....extended summer. My lungs were not ready for this morning either!
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 09-30-2009 at 03:02 PM.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Weird. I was up in the South Shore area this weekend and it was beautiful.
    Yeah, it`s wierd allright. I was down in your neighborhood (Marin, anyway) and even though the thermometer said it was warm I froze my butt off! I`ll take dry anything to bay weather.

Here in Reno, it`s just starting to get down around the freezing mark. I`m still hanging in with shorts, started with my lightest gloves last week. If it doesn`t warm up again, I`ll probably add a knit cap next week.
    Recalculating....

Bedwards Of The West
    High 20's this morning... I'm not ready for this stuff yet. It's always about this point of the year when riding all the way through winter seems totally overwhelming. Somehow I always do it though...

fux
    Scooterist
    3 degrees C this week.

I have already been forced to layering with wool base layers. At the moment I am using Endura Baa Baa merino woll base layer, which is FANTASTIC!

I have also bought some Endura eVent trousers for when the worst weather comes. I had the pleasure of using them in a storm last week and I will come back with a report on those later.

My Sealskinz gloves are utter poo, they dont keep the rain out, uncomfortabe on drop bars and the liner comes out when you take them off. So I am on the look out for something better there too. What a waste of money they proved to be.

I also decided to sort out my bike because the last few weeks has been a pain. The chain has been slipping over my worn cassett and my hubs were loose.

Well following the rule that you should always go one better, I bought a new Ultegra cassett and chain which I fit today. I also re-packed my hubs with grease.

On futher inspection my bottom bracket has given up the ghost too. I suppose I have ridden a few thousand miles on the lacruz in all weathers, so its to be expected.

On a lighter note my XT hub bearings looked brand new once I cleaned of the gunk, so I would have to give them a commuter thumbs up.

I also oiled my nippels, which incidentely have been swapped out with brass to try and avoid them from snapping in the salt, snow and extreem cold. Last year 6 spokes and nips in the space of a couple of weeks and it was highly annoying. Not as annoying as my spelling must be to some folks, I might add......

Oh, some pictures to give my boring drivvel some colour.

commuter01.jpg

commuter02.jpg

commuter03.jpg

commuter04.jpg

commuter05.jpg

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    I have used Stans with Nokian studs without tubes on a UST rim with sucess, )a pinch flat in the cold is a *****).
    Very interesting. I might have to try this. One question....didn't the Stan's freeze? Ok, maybe two questions...how hard to mount and keep the air in the tire.

NormalNorm
    High 20's this morning... I'm not ready for this stuff yet. It's always about this point of the year when riding all the way through winter seems totally overwhelming. Somehow I always do it though...

Below zero...Ouch. The lowest here in the area is about low 40's. Winter is coming fast.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ I'm a farenheit man. Below freezing yes, but not below zero yet...
    Judging from your avatar I'm guessing your a Celcius guy, eh?

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast