Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1272
    Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KentheKona View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation on brake pads? The ones that came on my trek felt like hard plastic when its in the 20s-30s. Braking power definitely suffered, think I need a softer rubber that'll handle cold better.
    Another thing that helps with braking is cleaning the rims regularly, you won't believe the black spooge that accumulates on there. A quick wipe using a rag with a little acetone (nail polish remover) will shine them up. Just don't get any acetone on any fancy rim decorations, as some will smudge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Another thing that helps with braking is cleaning the rims regularly, you won't believe the black spooge that accumulates on there. A quick wipe using a rag with a little acetone (nail polish remover) will shine them up. Just don't get any acetone on any fancy rim decorations, as some will smudge.
    Kool Stop salmon pads are nice and soft. I use Kool Stop dual compound, salmon and black, and they grab much better than stock Avid pads.

mtbr member
    Last night hit some black ice and my bike slide out from under me. It was an excellent execution overall so I was not harmed. My favorite little bike bell though...may it rest in peace. It said "I <3 My Bike" on it.

Natural Born Killer
    Our high is supposed to be 63 degrees today and the projected low Monday the 9th is supposed to be 4 degrees. These are both 20 degrees outside the average High/Low for this time of year. I'm really wondering how I'm going to cope with this nearly 60 degree temperature swing in 5 DAYS! I've lived in the Midwest for most of my life and the weather still drives me insane sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Hey, KentheKona! Nice plan figuring out what you need for dry cold before dealing with the ice. Salmon Coolstops seem to get about 9 out of every 10 brake pad suggestions. I do use them (might as well), but honestly I don`t see much difference between any pads except the ones that are a decade old and cracked.
    I've got to ease into haha. I learned with bike commuting I need to take it one excuse at a time. Once I get subzero handled ill work on snow.

I'll try the kool stops, the pads are probably due to be replaced anyways.

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    Our high is supposed to be 63 degrees today and the projected low Monday the 9th is supposed to be 4 degrees. These are both 20 degrees outside the average High/Low for this time of year. I'm really wondering how I'm going to cope with this nearly 60 degree temperature swing in 5 DAYS! I've lived in the Midwest for most of my life and the weather still drives me insane sometimes.

Gotta love it. Yesterday in Denver it was 61* at 12 pm, by 4 pm it was 32*, this morning it was 9* F and snowing. Tomorrow morning is suppose to be -3*, going to add one more layer.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Wow, that`s a weird one for sure. I can`t picture what you describe, though. You mean the tire lets the tube squirt out between the bead and the edge of the rim somehow, or it just slips around and tries to snap the valve stem? Either way, about the only suggestion I could offer would be to switch your prayer to something like "hijodelachingadaquelepario..."
    Worth a try.

now THAT made me genuinely LOL!

The bead of the tire just slips off the rim when the tire's inflated.
    And by a LOT, if I just pick the wheel up by the tire, the bead's so loose that I can fit my finger between the tire and the rim!
    How I originally got the bead seated I have no idea!!
    Just pushes the bead off the rim and the tube pokes out.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

weirdo
    I had a bead wire come out of the casing about a month back and puncture my tube, but didn`t notice the bead actually expanding. I wonder if that same problem could go differently, letting the inflated tube push the tire out like yours. Are they the same Marathons that used to treat you well, or you replaced those with a different model?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    Lol 60 degrees in 5 days? Try living in Texas. We get 60 degree swings over night. It was 85 Monday and in the 20s on Tuesday night.

mtbr member
    Texas apocalypse! it's going to be below 40 today. we're all gonna die.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trevordchi View Post
    Lol 60 degrees in 5 days? Try living in Texas. We get 60 degree swings over night. It was 85 Monday and in the 20s on Tuesday night.
    That's pretty drastic. And I thought I had it bad with forty degree swings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What tires (26" hardtail mtb) do you guys recommend for winter commuting in the pacific northwest where you can deal with rain one day, black ice another and slush the day after that? I like the thought of studded tires but I am concerned that they would be lethal when it's warmer and raining (ie above freezing temperatures.)
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    What tires (26" hardtail mtb) do you guys recommend for winter commuting in the pacific northwest where you can deal with rain one day, black ice another and slush the day after that? I like the thought of studded tires but I am concerned that they would be lethal when it's warmer and raining (ie above freezing temperatures.)
    Studs are fine on bare asphalt and sidewalk pavement....no traction whatsoever on polished concrete (parking garage) or ceramic tiles...

Studs generally have pretty high rolling resistance.

From my prospective if you are riding black ice, then you need studs....or take a break if it is only once or twice a year...

Also get a spare set of wheels so you can put the studs on in a matter of 1 or 2 minutes as you leave in the morning...otherwise use the rain etc tires.

Spare wheels need not cost alot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks. This is good advice.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by trevordchi View Post

sounds like you're in one of the drier parts of the state. up in the Panhandle, maybe? that's pretty typical for a more arid climate. Humidity tends to hold heat, so East TX rarely gets those kinds of swings. Most of the midwest is pretty moist, too, so those kinds of overnight swings are uncommon. They tend to take days, because the moist airmasses need time to move out before temps will really drop.

I'm loving the snow I'm getting today (currently in a lull between bands). I wonder, though, with the type of system we're getting dropped some rain onto relatively warm ground yesterday, when studs will be warranted. I don't think the soil is frozen yet. As evidenced by the fact that most of the snow on my driveway has melted and temps are still in the 20's. Tonight, however, I expect the ground to freeze as overnight lows get near 10F. I don't know whether to expect ice tomorrow morning that's very jagged and coarse (providing traction), or whether to expect smooth sheet ice and black ice (warranting studs). I would like to fit a mtb ride in tomorrow morning, but if I can't do that, I may try to get a short pavement ride in if I can get by without studs.

mtbr member
    Figured I'd take a shot of my "ultimate" level gear that I've got drying on my desk:

The things that look like socks are not actually socks (since that would be gross). They did used to be socks, but now they're arm and legwarmers. My actual 2 pairs of socks are in the lockerroom.

All in all, pretty comfy today at -30C/-22F. The ride home always seems to be worse though, I think because they're not 100% dry, but it might just be a circulation thing, or who knows. If it gets colder I don't have anything else to add, beyond maybe using heatpacks.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Figured I'd take a shot of my "ultimate" level gear that I've got drying on my desk:

The things that look like socks are not actually socks (since that would be gross). They did used to be socks, but now they're arm and legwarmers. My actual 2 pairs of socks are in the lockerroom.

All in all, pretty comfy today at -30C/-22F. The ride home always seems to be worse though, I think because they're not 100% dry, but it might just be a circulation thing, or who knows. If it gets colder I don't have anything else to add, beyond maybe using heatpacks.
    Maybe you need to add one of these:

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-81qc-cf5jbl._sl1500_.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Maybe you need to add one of these:
    Yeah, I'm not going to be worryingly cold or dangerously cold. I just know that a toasty ride in at -30C is almost always be followed by a slightly nippy ride home at -25C. My best explanation is moisture (although everything will feel dry tonight) but it could be anything.

Hey, the added comfort from putting on even slightly warmed gear can be quite an improvement, and when you're getting near convergence, I'd say that every little bit is worth it.

Moderator Moderator
    I have noticed that even in non-extreme cold, I almost always "feel" colder on the way home in the evening. It can be a bit warmer than the a.m. and I still need the same layers in the evening, or if it's the same temp a.m. and p.m, I might consider an extra layer in the evening. I'm not sure if this is a mammalian or personal biorhythm thing, psychological because of the daylight in the morning, or due to some other factor.

At Newf's temps I would definitely be adding the toewarmers, but everyone is different.

mtbr member
    a mammalian or personal biorhythm thing
    Or that I've been sitting at a keyboard all day, which doesn't encourage great circulation and naturally leaves my fingers a little cold.

Putting on gloves that are fresh off the warmer does sound nice, but in time it takes me to layer-up and head down to my bike I'm usually pretty warm if not overheating. But then 5 minutes later my fingers will noticeably be a lot colder than they got this morning.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have noticed that even in non-extreme cold, I almost always "feel" colder on the way home in the evening. It can be a bit warmer than the a.m. and I still need the same layers in the evening, or if it's the same temp a.m. and p.m, I might consider an extra layer in the evening. I'm not sure if this is a mammalian or personal biorhythm thing, psychological because of the daylight in the morning, or due to some other factor.

At Newf's temps I would definitely be adding the toewarmers, but everyone is different.

I experience this too, but this would be why:
    My commute into work is happening as the sun comes up, and to home (or pub) as the sun is setting. Seems to make it feel colder without the sun on you. Even in the winter.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Well right now my commutes are both just dark.

This morning was -30C. Evening was -25C. In the morning my fingers didn't feel even the slightest bit cold. On the way home they went through the typical cycle of: okay > cold > pretty cold > really cold > warm again! Predictable, and not at all worrisome, but weird.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    I experience this too, but this would be why:
    My commute into work is happening as the sun comes up, and to home (or pub) as the sun is setting. Seems to make it feel colder without the sun on you. Even in the winter.
    I've wondered that too, but unfortunately it's not always sunny here, so I don't think that explains it (most of the time anyway). Maybe the a.m. coffee makes a difference.

I Ride for Donuts
    Love it when people leave their lights on all night

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-picture1.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast