Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast
    I Ride for Donuts
    Rodar it's so weird how close we are to each other and how different the perception can be... we've still got snow on the ground from that storm at Christmas (because of the crazy cold temps that followed), so everyone you talk to around here is so sick of 'winter' We're still longing for the warmer temps so we can chisel the ice off of the driveway. My gutters have JUST started flowing again on the shady side of the house. But you're right, other than the cold and that one series of storms, we haven't had a ton of "winter'. I'm holding out for a big march.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Not just perception, CB. From your posts, it sounds like you`ve been stuck in that arctic cold for the duration. We certainly had it, but it left us alone like three weeks ago (as evidenced from the pics of my sexy naked legs). Before that, we had snow hanging out all over for a long time, then snow remnants in the shadows for longer still, but it was all left overs from Christmas and New years that just didn`t want to melt. Sounds like that part mostly rings true for you too, though I think you`ve still had considerably more wet than we have.

The long range forecast looks a lot wetter. Probably because I already sent in my payment and registration for another event down in Davis for 3/2 and another for 3/23. If my wish for irrigation water comes through, I`ll be chaining up to get over the pass (and sorry about making fun of your Jeep as my fingers turn to ice on the shoulder of I-80) then possibly riding up to 18 hours straight in the rain :O
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    That pic I just posted in the 'post your commuter photos' thread is in the middle of a wide-open field with no shade...just to give you an idea of what's still hanging around from our Christmas storms.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Brian, are you comparing the A10s` high resistance to other studded tires, or to regular non-studded fare? I`ve long lamented the fact that they don`t come in my size because MY studded tires are such unwilling pigs, but maybe it really doesn`t matter.
    Peter White says the A10 is the lowest rolling resistance studded tire. I will take him at his word. Sort of like the world's smallest Blue Whale. It isn't saying much. He also suggests cooling it a bit. The higher rolling resistance and the cornering feel dissuade me from that. No pedal drag corners with these! The mass was not noticeable switching out the heavier Michelin City 700-38s on the errand bike for them. I run the Citys a bit soft (50-60 pounds) and the wider rim seemed to work a bit better for the A10's. I have never had such a heavy and low pressure tire on The Duchess. Another wheel set with wider rims would be good. It will hit 50F today back to the 30's tomorrow and in the next 10 days it should be above freezing for my ride. So I'll take them off for a bit anyway.

Looks like a nasty bit headed Mtbxplorer's and Bedward's way. Done that. Keep safe.

BrianMc

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I`ve long lamented the fact that they don`t come in my size because MY studded tires are such unwilling pigs, but maybe it really doesn`t matter.
    If you are talking 26" the Nokian Mount and Ground have a pretty decent rolling resistance if you put the pressure to them. They are rated pretty high, like 60PSI. The studs are less effective at those pressures but they still keep you upright on the occasional patch of ice. If you have an icy ride you can knock them back to 20-30 PSI and they work pretty good for lake crossings but probably not the Icy Climbs I posted in the other thread.

Yeah, Brian MC, people are getting into that panicked storm mode up here. I'm going to drive the plow truck instead of the bike. Those tires are studded too. The rolling resistance on those must be high too because my fuel mileage in the winter sucks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    If you are talking 26" the Nokian Mount and Ground have a pretty decent rolling resistance if you put the pressure to them. They are rated pretty high, like 60PSI.I bleieve the max is 45 psi The studs are less effective at those pressures but they still keep you upright on the occasional patch of ice. If you have an icy ride you can knock them back to 20-30 PSI and they work pretty good for lake crossings but probably not the Icy Climbs I posted in the other thread.
    The Mount and Ground probably has the lowest rolling resistance of the studded tires....

However I have always found that 45 psi (45 is max inflation pressure) provides the best ice performance for these tires the studs stick out and or held out better than at lower pressures. I acutually caused the bead to fail on a M&G that I ran at 60 psi for just a few weeks).

Even up Ice flows the will work fine (the last one of your pictures would be pretty hard).

The Freddie Revenz is better but not night and day....its advantage is the wider tire and more studs so you almost always have several studs in contact on rough surfaces...ie ice coated rocks etc.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I was probably thinking of another tire that goes to 60, big apples probably. But at MAX pressure they roll pretty nice. I've found that you roll mostly on the tread of the tire and he studs are only incidentally in contact with the ice at those pressures.

I should be able to make it up the top climb but haven't yet. The middle one is tougher than it looks and is very long. The last one I don't even attempt. I wish I had somebody that could climb them around here as a mentor. My route has a lot of smaller ice flows that I can make it up but so far these seem impossible to me even with the Nokian Extremes at about 25psi.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I was probably thinking of another tire that goes to 60, big apples probably. But at MAX pressure they roll pretty nice. I've found that you roll mostly on the tread of the tire and he studs are only incidentally in contact with the ice at those pressures.

I should be able to make it up the top climb but haven't yet. The middle one is tougher than it looks and is very long. The last one I don't even attempt. I wish I had somebody that could climb them around here as a mentor. My route has a lot of smaller ice flows that I can make it up but so far these seem impossible to me even with the Nokian Extremes at about 25psi.
    Pump them up get the studs sticking out....works better than soft on hard ice.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I started with them pretty firm and then backed them off based on information I read somewhere. I've try them firm again. Those hills are going to be a surprise for the first snowmobilers to try them with snow over glare ice.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Can't hurt (too much anyways ) to try.....

Also gear selection is important too low and the pedal bounce can cause slippage to high and the torque surge can cause slippage.

I try to pick a line that is basically on high flatter ice...rather than the ruts or rivulets...the ice is generally of beter quality and the steering less aggressive.

Everytime I have dismounted on stuff like that I have ended up in a heap at the bottom...the tire studs have far more traction than my boots.

So bascially it is an all or nothing go for it situation.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I think that could actually hurt quite a bit!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ I think that could actually hurt quite a bit!
    Yes, indeed! Could make BrianMc`s mystery spill look like a toe dab.

My studs are Marathon Winters. Like you said about the MGs, they roll a lot better with more pressure, but seriously rough ride, and they still don`t roll THAT well. I keep them about 50 when I don`t need every drop of traction. Don`t remember what the sidewall says for a max.
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Can't hurt (too much anyways ) to try.....

Also gear selection is important too low and the pedal bounce can cause slippage to high and the torque surge can cause slippage.

I try to pick a line that is basically on high flatter ice...rather than the ruts or rivulets...the ice is generally of beter quality and the steering less aggressive.

Everytime I have dismounted on stuff like that I have ended up in a heap at the bottom...the tire studs have far more traction than my boots.

So bascially it is an all or nothing go for it situation.
    These are steep enough where I can't apply enough torque to the ground to overcome gravity. The "Rivulets" (assuming that is the fish scale type ice) are a big problem because they push the wheel to the side. At this point it doesn't matter because they are about to be covered in 2' of snow.

Moderator Moderator
    Neat ice flow, MtbX. But if you know that reporter, please tell him or her to pan out more next time. The beaver was cool for a minute, but I wanted to see the ice breaking loose!
    Here's a really good ice jam video from a news photographer/MTB'r/trailworker that I do know. It was taken last Thursday.

weirdo
    Wow!
    Much better
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Winter just arrived again in one storm. We got somewhere around 28" but the wind was crazy. The snow depth varies from none to 5'. They're forecasting warmer weather and wet snow or rain on Monday.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ That's impressive! I believe the 5' drifts, my friend over there sent a pic of the snow blocking her Jeep in the garage - it was as high as the 6' fence. Only 1'+/- here, plus 3' drifts. I only snowblowed the driveway at sunset because the wind was so fierce all day.

Moderator Moderator

Moderator Moderator

I Ride for Donuts
    Just a quick farewell to the winter of 2012-2013. It's (almost) over. A good one for me. Didn't drive to work at all, finally got some studded tires, set a new personal low temp record (-4.5F).

Bring on The shorts and sunshine.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    A good one for me. Didn't drive to work at all, finally got some studded tires, set a new personal low temp record (-4.5F).
    Congratulations! I know that no Jeep commutes was a big victory for you.

PS: Are you going to take the excuses back out of your signature line now that you`ve been studded?
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    I will think of something...

With all the snow/ice this winter, it was a big deal in my little world to not drive at all due to weather. I'm bummed I drove that one day pre-winter in September in perfect weather, just so I could make it to a stupid meeting. Looks like I'm going to finish the school year with 1 DD barring catastrophe. Still a record, but oh so close to zero.

Moderator Moderator
    Not saying goodbye yet, they're saying lows in the teens Thursday through Monday.

mtbr member

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread

This was nice, but cold and snow are moving back in to the east for a couple of weeks. Enjoy it, when it's gone, it's gone.

Moderator Moderator

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast