Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the advice! I pretty much have all of the gear mentioned, just need to bring a change of clothes with me. Duly noted.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    (Store them in a ziplock bag between uses and you can use them up to a week)
    I've never messed with those, but that might make it worth it right there.

I should also add that at some point in there I switch to my snowboard helmet... it's basically vent-less, and has ear-warmer flappy things integrated into the straps. I don't know how much warmth is adds on top of the 'clava, but it's got to help. It's also designed for goggles, which I should use down around single-digit land, but I never have. The skin around my glasses that is not covered by the 'clava gets pretty cold.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by roma258 View Post
    I'm sure it's been discussed already, but can I get some suggestions for a good "proper cold weather" commuter set-up?
    Welcome aboard, Roma.
    Yes, discussed constantly, but that`s a good thing. If you get tired of reading here, you can check out some more really nice tips at Icebike Home Page (although some of it is a little bit outdated).
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by roma258 View Post
    I'm sure it's been discussed already, but can I get some suggestions for a good "proper cold weather" commuter set-up? I'm in Philly and this week is the first read cold snap we've had in a long while (temps in teens in the morning, wind chill single digits). Decided to ride today, put on synthetic longjohns, scarf and an ushanka and I was sweating through my sweater 1 mile in. Way too hot. Than I swapped my ushanka for a regular winter hat and it was pretty rough. What's a happy medium?
    It takes some trial and error, but if your hands and feet were OK, you're 90% there. I am happy with a thin wool or synthetic hat under a bikehelmet (styrofoam insulates as well as protects!) until about 0F, as long as it covers the ears. Below that I switch to a ski/multisport helmet, but it's an inferno! I often shed a layer at the halfway point, or switch to thinner gloves, because the rest is uphill (both ways).

I expect you have a lot of sloppy weather, which is almost harder to dress for, because if you get wet you get cold. Do you have fenders? They keep a lot of cold slop off of you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    It takes some trial and error, but if your hands and feet were OK, you're 90% there. I am happy with a thin wool or synthetic hat under a bikehelmet (styrofoam insulates as well as protects!) until about 0F, as long as it covers the ears. Below that I switch to a ski/multisport helmet, but it's an inferno! I often shed a layer at the halfway point, or switch to thinner gloves, because the rest is uphill (both ways).

I expect you have a lot of sloppy weather, which is almost harder to dress for, because if you get wet you get cold. Do you have fenders? They keep a lot of cold slop off of you.
    Rode again today, went with a New Balance fleece hat instead of the Ushanka, much better. I'm not much of a hardcore commuter, since I live next to the subway, I just take that on the days it rains. Trying to ride a bit more this year. But it's snowing today and I took my Stumpy into work, so the ride home should be fun

Moderator Moderator

Dateline Siberia: The Coldest Town on Earth

No bikecommuters are featured, but you might feel warmer after reading this.

The Coldest Town on Earth | Weather News | Weather Underground

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I had a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that it was 60 degrees warmer than it was around this time last week. Way overdressed. Tomorrow morning is forecast to be 30 degrees cooler than today.

I Ride for Donuts
    We appear to be locked into a pattern of just under 20 for a low (morning commute), and just under 40 for a high. Clear and dry, with a bunch of leftover snow still melting off when it can. I can live with this. Anything's a pleasure after a few days below zero.

Moderator Moderator
    More winter fun here - video of ice jam & the ice jam letting go today during the January thaw on the Mad River. Filmed by Justiin Beckwith in the Valley where my K-9 friend Spirit lives.
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 01-31-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Huckin' trails

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread

It's been windy here lately

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359731138.207606.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  53.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Hey David, did you get affected by those watermain breaks at all? Those videos were insane. (I think you've posted some photos from up on Mont Royal, but I don't really know where in Montreal you are.)

Moderator Moderator
    Beaver vs. ice jam. My office is moving to Montpelier with the beaver on Monday.
    Beaver vs. ice jam.

Huckin' trails

Well the water slides where about right down south the mountain, in the middle of the almost busiest part of downtown, and I live 3km east of it. However I had to go to college to pick up my compound bow to bring home for maintenance during school break and while waiting for the bus on my way back, a gentleman happen to pass by, and told me that the bus isn't coming anytime soon due to re-routing of the traffic only a few blocks away (coz of the water apocalypse). So I simply walked back home the 2.5km carrying that heavy ass bow and case. At least I had good conversation with that man alongside since he lives only a few blocks away. But later that day I happened to catch a quick view of the news report about the incident and damn that was funny to see people falling down splashing water everywhere time after time

But a few years ago, one water pipe blew up on my street (I live on a steep street), so I had my own personal water iced slide to go down the road ! It was fun, you could pretty much run the RedBull CrashedIce down that street
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

weirdo
    ^^Broken water mains and ice slide in Montreal sounds interresting. I`m going to have to track down the story on that one. What kind of bow did you have to carry, David? Archery or musical?

Neat ice flow, MtbX. But if you know that reporter, please tell him or her to pan out more next time. The beaver was cool for a minute, but I wanted to see the ice breaking loose!
    Recalculating....

Huckin' trails

I have a 1985ish Hoyt/Easton RAMBO compound bow. In a soft case, so it gets messy in the wind. Lucky it wasn't windy at all that day. I just finished today to clean it all up and sewed straps in the case to anchor the bow in place. I'll have to take pictures now that it's all done. It's a very nice looking bow and it's in very nice shape for almost 30 years of age. Previous owner had it covered it all up with camo tape and painted some parts with green camo paint. It took about 25 hours total to clean it all up, but it's worth it

Before (already had removed the tape and glue from bottom half a year ago, now finally got it all done) and a quick one from yesterday (spent a fair amount of time polishing the hardware).

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359872273.324407.jpg

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359872346.810529.jpg

And a grouping at 15m, then at 20m

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359872581.955529.jpg

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359872671.328348.jpg

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I have a 1985ish Hoyt/Easton RAMBO compound bow.

Previous owner had it covered it all up with camo tape and painted some parts with green camo paint. It took about 25 hours total to clean it all up, but it's worth it

Before (already had removed the tape and glue from bottom half a year ago, now finally got it all done) and a quick one from yesterday (spent a fair amount of time polishing the hardware).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359872346.810529.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	767939
    I know nearly nothing about archery, but it`s obvious from the way you talk about it and from the detail picture that you chose to post how passionate you are about the sport and the equipment. It sounds just like when we get to talking about a favorite bike! I love to see old stuff well loved
    Recalculating....

Huckin' trails

Thanks, but I have to admit I'm no expert into archery either, just started about 3 years ago and I unfortunately don't have much occasions to go shooting, maybe went like 50-60 times at the very most in the past 3 years.

However I really enjoy it and I've tried to get myself informed and up to date about the stuff like I do for MTB. Although I still prefer riding my bike, bow and gun shooting are the next things that gets me going. I don't own any gun, but I'm the kind of guy that could spend the whole day at the range and never get bored

And I also have a thing for older stuff

mtbr member
    Some days you get the bear and others... A video collection of two days rides. Both without the Nokia studded tires. Tired of/for it now.

No snows2 - YouTube.

Older bike older rider. In keeping with recent trend in the thread.

BrianMc

BrianMc

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ I was just starting to think "ooh day 2 looks pretty nice..." and then WHOOPS Ice isn't nice.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Some days you get the bear and others... A video collection of two days rides. Both without the Nokia studded tires. Tired of/for it now.
    Why no studded tires? That seems like the time you'd want them the most.

Here we go?
    ... Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from late Thursday night
    through Saturday morning...

* Locations... southern New Hampshire into southwestern Maine.
    * Hazard types... heavy snow possible.
    * Accumulations... snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ They're saying 8-14" here. Depending on the timing, I may skip the bikecommute Friday and try to get the OK to work at home, with an xc ski break.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Why no studded tires? That seems like the time you'd want them the most.
    When I really needed them I was recovering from the flat tire mid-turn incident and did not mount them. I rode 2 winters without them before. So I decided to see if I could sneak by without mounting them for the first time on the Deep Vees (16 mm inside instead of about 20 on the other bike's rims). These tires have big beads. If I had stayed off non salted driveways that looked like the meltwater I had seen on the roads...Oh well. Try to let a neighbor by and that good deed gets punished! The A10's were a problem to get seated especially at the presta valve stems. Also only 58 pounds pressure max so they corner poorly and have a rolling resistance like they have stickum for tread. And they still have their casting flashing! Mere babies! Still: slow or face plant? No contest. So I shared this to show you what you've all been missing with your studded tires! And now I will be too.

You can see by the helmet that I had the moves going with it a while. So it would have been pretty funny from another camera angle. Do you love me...now that i can dance? Even got a break dance move in on landing.

Brian

Moderator Moderator
    -4Fand a chilly ride this morning The longer hill on my new commute makes a difference. Some face parts were cold on the hill and my feet were cold by the end. But a good ride nonetheless. Having showers was nice too although they are far enough away that I rode there and back.

Huckin' trails

Brrrr... Cold here too.

Btw, I made a thread in the OC for that bow, 1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow, check it out if you want to see the pictures

weirdo
    It looks like "possible" showers or light snow today and tomorrow, then back to our second non-winter in a row. it was starting to look okay there for a while, then... nothing. I`m torn between joy for the nice weather that we realy shouldn`t have and fear for the dry conditions that we`re looking at in the year to come. I might as well enjoy it because there`s nothing I can do about it.

Brian, are you comparing the A10s` high resistance to other studded tires, or to regular non-studded fare? I`ve long lamented the fact that they don`t come in my size because MY studded tires are such unwilling pigs, but maybe it really doesn`t matter.

I`ll have to check out you bow pics, David.
    Recalculating....

Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 ... LastLast