Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast
    weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Blech. I need this thread today. 7 degrees (F) this morning, That's up 12 degrees from Monday's low of -4. Actually -4.5.

The snow we got at Christmas is still here. This is getting old.
    I feel for you, CB. It sounds like you`ve been getting colder than we have lately. Well, usually the case anyway, but more so the past week or two. I get off easy to an extent because I don`t have an early AM comute any more. I don`t know what snow has been here since Christmas, what`s from New Years, or what blew in from you last week! Do you go by ID records on individual crystals?
    Anyway, hold tight just a little bit longer and one of your abundant vacations is sure to save you soon!
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    We made a big snowman at Christmas with the kids, and he hasn't shrunk... in fact, he's gotten bigger.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I know, I know. But the hooker boots were like $60 after all the discounts they were running.
    Ahhh then here is a great bike for you

29" Mongoose Mens Mountain Bike - Walmart.com

weirdo
    We made a big snowman at Christmas with the kids, and he hasn't shrunk... in fact, he's gotten bigger.
    But now he`s in drag...
    wearing a skirt.
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Ahhh then here is a great bike for you

29" Mongoose Mens Mountain Bike - Walmart.com
    That analogy would make sense if the bike was on sale for $70.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That analogy would make sense if the bike was on sale for $70.
    Geez I always thought bike cost more than the bike shoes????

Mine do.

I Ride for Donuts
    Now you're confusing yourself Have a good weekend jeffscott.

Frys With That, Please
    Blech. I need this thread today. 7 degrees (F) this morning, That's up 12 degrees from Monday's low of -4. Actually -4.5. There is snow falling this morning...I think that's the coldest I've ever seen it snow. Very rare for us in these parts to have snow when it's down below the mid 20's. Snow means clouds though, and clouds mean that there must be a warm air mass somewhere... right? The week before this was the same. The snow we got at Christmas is still here. This is getting old.
    Yesterday morning it was 2*F .

For me, 20*F down to -11*F feels the same. I don't put any more layers on for the temperature difference.

What I do know about clouds: Clouds mean heat given off from our planet gets trapped. Hence, warmer temperatures. Clear skies during Winter means no trapped heat.
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

Moderator Moderator
    Saw a bunch of snow rollers in the fields today. Being white on white, my pics did not show them as well as these submitted to the local newschannel. Anybody else get these? You need a good wind and the right kind of snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-773689_10152430033075442_1540326484_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Saw a bunch of snow rollers in the fields today. Being white on white, my pics did not show them as well as these submitted to the local newschannel. Anybody else get these? You need a good wind and the right kind of snow.
    That's crazy! I've never seen that, but I bet it is cool to see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Snow rollers?! Mind blown! Cool pic mtb, thanks for sharing.

Wind chill is currently at -31F, should dip down to -40F by my commute tomorrow. I'm tempted to ride just to say I did. I think my gear will be adequate. The plan is to get up early and leave 10 minutes earlier than normal. If its brutal I'll simply turn around and take the car. I'll post the results tomorrow!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    I have seen them. Small ones several times. The bigger ones twice and though the guys get cold on a bike, I have never seen ice balls:

Ice balls and snow rollers

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Wind chill is currently at -31F, should dip down to -40F by my commute tomorrow. I'm tempted to ride just to say I did. I think my gear will be adequate. The plan is to get up early and leave 10 minutes earlier than normal. If its brutal I'll simply turn around and take the car. I'll post the results tomorrow!
    Brrrrrr! Stay warm if you try it, But don't worry, it usually doesn't get brutal until the halfway point

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Interesting! The ice balls look like some eggs laid on the shoreline. I thought our snowrollers were just snowballs, not donut-like but looking back at the pic I can see they do have some "holes". Last night when I walked the dog, she alerted to something in the field. It disappeared quickly over the ridge, but it looked like a snowroller in motion. it dropped down to single digits though, so it probably wasn't picking up any more snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

I made it. I wasn't even chilly until I took my glove off to snap the pic (totally worth it). My only punishment was severe resistance of my rear hub. I've been putting off rebuilding the hub with low temp grease. Whoops. Felt like the hub was packed with tar!
    Jason

weirdo
    Rollers and balls:
    Wow, cool! They remind me (a little) of the sailing rocks at the Death Valley racetrack.

Jag, are you still Rollin on the Romic?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post

Jag, are you still Rollin on the Romic?
    Not this time of year! It's Pugsley season. The Romic is a garage ornament/project until things thaw out.
    Jason

Moderator Moderator
    Nice pic @ -11F, Jag. Sadly, those temp signs seem to have mostly disappeared around here.

Rodar, just a couple days a go I saw a NatGeo special on those rocks, and the research on how they move and leave a mysterious trail in the sand, fascinating! Saw a good crop of snowrollers today while driving, some with the holes.

Had the day off and drove over to Kingdom trails in the Northeast Kingdom (of Vermont) for some great fatbike singletrack with sick sidehill thrills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-p1010008-600x800-.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^^^awesome. That trail looks great. I talked to East Burke Sports today about their rentals. I need to get some friends out on fatbikes so they are convinced to buy one....so I have someone to ride with. Why can't everyone be as impulsive as I am...oh right...they gots kidz.

I Ride for Donuts
    I have a pic I took of a big 'ol dead piece of farm equipment out on the playa with a trail behind it in the weather-checked, dried out ground. Same concept as the sailing rocks.

Never seen the snow rollers. Trip.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    We get snow donuts up in the Cascades. I've seen them when out shoshoeing, but have never taken a photo. Here are some good ones captured by a Washington DOT plowing crew:

SR 20 - Snow Donut | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Snow Donuts - a set on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You guys are amazing. Photo at -11, yeow! I've never lived anywhere that ever got that cold.

I had my coldest ride ever into work today, at a meager 12 F this morning. I was thankful for a full face balaclava I got over the weekend, but overdressed my torso and was a bit damp once in the office!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm sure it's been discussed already, but can I get some suggestions for a good "proper cold weather" commuter set-up? I'm in Philly and this week is the first read cold snap we've had in a long while (temps in teens in the morning, wind chill single digits). Decided to ride today, put on synthetic longjohns, scarf and an ushanka and I was sweating through my sweater 1 mile in. Way too hot. Than I swapped my ushanka for a regular winter hat and it was pretty rough. What's a happy medium?

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Well first of all, I don't ride in anything I'm going to wear at work. I stash clothes at work, and carry underwear/undershirt in my backpack.

For temps in the teens/single digits, I wear either tights or leg warmers and shorts, covered up by waterproof (which means windproof) light pants. On top I wear a light moisture wicking shirt, covered by a softshell jacket. 2 layers and you're done... the critical part is having windproof stuff. I have Pearl Izumi Lobster gloves for the hands at those temps, and I've used regular mtb shoes with covers, but now I have some decent winter cycling boots. On the head I wear a thin 'clava under the helmet.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    My winter gear always includes:
    Top: Merino wool base - keeps me from stinking.
    Below 20F I add a quick dry polar fleece sweet shirt over that
    Cover it all with a light fleece lined soft shell jacket. On days near or below zero I'll have frost between the jacket and sweatshirt.
    Bottom: Below about 5 I wear merino wool (-33 brand) long johns.
    Padded shorts
    Cover it all with fleece lined winter tights (Descent Shelter Tights)

Wrap around face mask
    double gloves
    Not quite warm enough "winter" boots. with double socks.
    Nashbar fleece lined under helmet liner (add a thin pullover balaclava with the mouth and nose open for below 0)
    Hand & Foot warmers for temps below 10. (Store them in a ziplock bag between uses and you can use them up to a week)

Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast