Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 ... LastLast
    weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    And it's 181 days, thankyouverymuch.
    Huh? How many days in your year? We only get 365 here, so your 181 "on" days plus the 320 "off" days you get sounds like about a year and a half anywhere else

I don`t see what that solution under your nose is, but if you`re making compromises based on high school fashion, that`s on you. To hell with the what your inmates think!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just thought I'd drop a 'HI' on this thread. As of about a month ago I have started commuting to work 3 days a week. Since I'm at 42 degrees North latitude this means that it's getting cold and I'm just starting to commute. I figure that if I can make it through the winter, I'll be ready for anything!

Now I will have a nice bike to commute on; I started off on my POS Mongoose bike that I got in college over a decade ago. Now I've got a nice new big dummy; but I'm dreaming of a cross check.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So has anyone ever tried just using a respirator mask with the filters removed? All I can find online are lunatics trying to filter out air pollution while riding. I can only assume they live in a hermetically sealed house. 3M Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 7503/37083(AAD), Respiratory Protection, Large: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific has a downward air discharge, so your hot, humid breath is directed down and away from your glasses/goggles. Heck, you could remove the flappers from the one-way valves entirely for better air movement, though this would mean the mask is no longer useful as a filter.

Anything fabric tends to waterlog from the humidity and then I can't easily breathe through it. I've been trying to use my other weird mask but it's more or less hopeless to wear eye protection with it as the seal at the nose is pretty bad. I can't go without anything because asthma doesn't respond well to cold air.

The 6300DD appears to maybe also offer the downward-exhaust and is cheap enough that it might be worth it to just order one and try it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    CommuterBoy: rejoice. Tight nylon face, stretch back, and don't look/fit like tights, but are narrow enough to not get sucked into the chain.

You can probably find them cheaper, but that was the easiest link for me to find.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Something like that would be cool. I do like the fit of tights though. And honestly when I wear them mountain biking, I wear baggies over them anyway...not because I'm worried I'm going to see students, but because I just don't want to do that to people

Rodar, your math looks fine to me?

But Bedwards, I need hooker boot advice... This morning was a good day to experiment because it was raining pretty good... I wore the tights under my rain pants, and overlapped the tights over the tops of the boots as suggested... plenty of overlap there, no worries. I was wearing short socks (nowhere near the top edge of the boots, so the boots are touching bare skin at the top couple inches)
    By the time I got to work:

Bottom few inches of the tights: Wring-them-out wet (expected this)
    Socks: Wet. Obviously getting wet from the top down, but pretty wet all over. (???)
    Inside of boots: Wet (not as wet as the socks, but wet).
    Spare socks in waterproof trashbag in backpack with shirt and underwear: yes.

But how is that much water getting in those boots with the overlap thing going on? I was expecting much better results.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I just think that when it is raining and you are on your bike, you are going to get wet...no two ways around it. Even the best rain gear will get wet eventually. Neoprene booties won't be stretching over boots, but they do a good job for me in the snow and slush keeping pretty dry in clipless shoes or running shoes.

One more option is gaiters. I have shorties for summer hiking, and knee high for deep snow. If you are unfamiliar, they strap under boot, clip on at toe, and cover the gap between pants and boot. Rookies wear them over the pants and it is just one more thing to look silly on campus with. Wear them under the pants, it is more effective at keeping out the rain.

I am looking forward to my first winter of dedicated commuting here in the great north woods of NH. I have my SS track bike, Ute cargo bike, and hard tail 29 (with studded wheel set if needed), though it won't be because I also got my Necromancer this week. If none of those will cut it, I guess I could drive my car...

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Hey Schott, add yourself to the MTBR Commuters map. We need some more New Englanders. Sounds like a fine assortment of bikes to get you through.

I Ride for Donuts
    Edit: This post was a hysterical comment about the giant spam post that appeared above it, but that got removed, and now it makes no sense.....
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 12-13-2012 at 01:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    CommuterBoy sounds like a personal/fashion problem, if they want to make fun of your tights just remind them that Robin Hood wore tights. And then point out all the ones wearing skinny pants.

So any one else have problems with the cold just sapping any and all energy? It seems I have to work harder to go the same distance when it's below 45.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Men of nobility wore higher quality, less coarse tights for practicality reasons (horseback riding) in old England; if we had shown them what we wear today, they would have thought us exceedingly rich. And if you google "Meggings", there is a push from the fashion industry to make them more mainstream in more recent days. Jeans and the like historically were also associated with the working class until more recently. Side note... but men wore heels back in the day too, also for practicality reasons.

RE: cold sapping any and all energy, only if the wind cuts through my gear or I'm really, really underdressed over my legs and core. I have some neoprene front, breathing back pants that keep my legs warm, and wear a sturdy though not thermal jacket. I have found that if I keep my core and upper legs warm, even if I don't keep my lower legs or arms warm, I don't have the, "OMG I'm exhausted" feeling. I do have to work harder simply by virtue of blocking more wind & the clothing resisting my movement though - there's always a noticeable speed gain come March when I ditch the heavy duty clothing.

I Ride for Donuts
    You guys are forgetting the fact that I'm the definition of awesome, and I don't care what anyone thinks because I know I'm the man

I simply wear baggies over the tights so that the punk kids have less to talk about. Saves class time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Student: Why do you wear tights?
    Teacher: Because I can, why do you wear your girl friends skinny jeans? Now moving on. Who can tell me what yesterdays main points of discussion were?

Its only a drawn out discussion if you let it become one.

Not sure if it's all that, I only wear a lightweight jacket, gloves, and beanie cap. Anything more and I end up overheating until it gets down to low 30s. Thinking it might have to do with how hard it is for me to breath though when it gets that cold.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightlost View Post
    Not sure if it's all that, I only wear a lightweight jacket, gloves, and beanie cap. Anything more and I end up overheating until it gets down to low 30s.
    What, no pants or tights? Now that will be a discussion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Or a night in jail.

Cormac
    last time i drove from school was after i got back from a race and it was raining, i couldnt bend over because my back was messed up, and I had a 50 gallon tupperware full of gear and crap that I didnt feel like hauling on my xtracycle along with towing my mtb. I have ridden every day this winter though . Here in CO it is unusual to get below 10 degrees F, and the snow is usually dry, with the convienience of having the bike path that occasionaly gets plowed also. I usually just rock the addidas, oakley radars, courderouys, a balaclava, a shell with some sort of down layer, and some insulated work gloves. I am usually comfortable. If the bike path is cleared (or there isnt alot of snow and I have to carry a bunch of stuff), Ill ride my Xtracycle, and If there is a bunch of snow and i dont need to carry much I will ride my singlespeed "half-fat." When I go skiing i just wear my ski helmet, pants and jacket (all shells, no insulation).

'11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

weirdo
    Let`s see more of that "half fat", Cormy. It`s a standard HT frame with fat fork and front wheel? And a mile worth of seat post!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    What, no pants or tights? Now that will be a discussion.
    Well jeans/cargo pants, lol, was just listing the colder weather garb. I don't wear tights, but I do have some thermal ones for if it gets down to the 20s (highly doubtful)

Although I'm not sure my nethers would enjoy the freeballing that much.

Nice cormy.

I Ride for Donuts
    Blech. I need this thread today. 7 degrees (F) this morning, That's up 12 degrees from Monday's low of -4. Actually -4.5. There is snow falling this morning...I think that's the coldest I've ever seen it snow. Very rare for us in these parts to have snow when it's down below the mid 20's. Snow means clouds though, and clouds mean that there must be a warm air mass somewhere... right? The week before this was the same. The snow we got at Christmas is still here. This is getting old.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Blech. I need this thread today. 7 degrees (F) this morning, That's up 12 degrees from Monday's low of -4. Actually -4.5. There is snow falling this morning...I think that's the coldest I've ever seen it snow. Very rare for us in these parts to have snow when it's down below the mid 20's. Snow means clouds though, and clouds mean that there must be a warm air mass somewhere... right? The week before this was the same. The snow we got at Christmas is still here. This is getting old.
    WE had a low in the pacific pumping warm air south down the eastern slopes of the Rockies temps up to 8C....

The forecast had a cold snap down to -20C for one day then the chinook flow would take over with highs up to 8C....

Looks like the cold snap might not happen...

about 10 inches of snow have melted this week, roads not quite bare yet.

See life IS good.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Hang in there CB! I hear you, 5F here which is about 10 degrees below comfortable for me. How are the hooker boots doing? I find them to be not that warm. Stupid design where the toes (the part that gets coldest) is a single layer of molded plastic. Otherwise they're not too bad. I'm riding my commuter with flat pedals so I'm wearing Hermon Survivors and my feet were pretty comfy this morning.

Chin up, we'll be complaining about the heat in no time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Too cold for me there. I'm complaining about 25F, I'd have to see how my sinuses react to those lows.

mtbr member
    -8 F here this morning, and slow going, which meant my feet had enough time to get cold even in the Keen insulated boots. Everything else was warm. The goggles were not as perfect this time, some icing crept in at the top, and I took them off after the 2mi+ downhill where its coldest. A little warmup is expected this weekend, and then a high of 10F on the next commute day, Tuesday. Nice light this morning...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I Ride for Donuts
    Right there with you on the hooker boots Bedwards... they're good to go down to the upper teens. At these temps I'm wearing my neoprene socks with them and the toes are still numb upon arrival. They're warmer than the mtb shoes with toe covers though...

Sweet, now we have a 'freezing fog advisory'. At least there's a little diversity.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Right there with you on the hooker boots Bedwards... they're good to go down to the upper teens. At these temps I'm wearing my neoprene socks with them and the toes are still numb upon arrival. They're warmer than the mtb shoes with toe covers though...

Sweet, now we have a 'freezing fog advisory'. At least there's a little diversity.
    Google Image Result for http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Shimano-SHMW81-winter-cycling-shoe-600x367.jpg

I Ride for Donuts
    I know, I know. But the hooker boots were like $60 after all the discounts they were running.

Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 ... LastLast