Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 875 of 1272
  1. #851
    Professional Nerd
    Reputation: Danimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    120
    Studded tires are on the way. This is my first winter commuting full-time, pretty pumped about it! May need to tap in to this thread's motivational abilities from time to time, though...

    Dan

  2. #852
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    Reputation: bedwards1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,121
    It's only November and I'm already sick of the extra time it takes to layer up and layer down. This could be a long cold winter.

    You'll love the studs Danimal. You'll be looking for the ice. "Just to try them out"

  3. #853
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Straz85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,317
    I've been waiting for this thread to pop back up. This will also be my first winter commuting so I'll need motivation from everyone.

  4. #854
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,649
    In case your bike gets a chill...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  5. #855
    Frys With That, Please
    Reputation: cda 455's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    421
    I'm fitting my son for his cold-weather season riding with me:


    1) Ordering/mounting studded tires on my son's Cannondale in a couple of weeks.

    2) Ordered a Topeak front and rear fenders for his bike.

    3) Winter bib and jersey/jacket. Check

    4) Castelli Windstopper balaclava. Check

    5) Platform pedals goes on as well.



    He's excited being this is his first Fall/Winter riding with me !
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

    1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

    1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

    Motiv 26'er

  6. #856
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,435
    Snot rockets check 'em and seee!
    Ah got my thermal layers, one two and threee!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

  7. #857
    Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Reputation: hunter006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    449
    Lately we've been getting a bit of wind here in Seattle. They recorded some gusts in my area around the 70 mph mark, which might explain why I was 160 bpm @ 9 mph. It was also pouring with rain.

    Then this happened:

  8. #858
    weirdo
    Reputation: rodar y rodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristina520 View Post
    If there's one good thing about NOVA weather, I guess it's that we don't get either extreme. It rarely gets over 100 or below about 20. In Jan-Feb I do usually miss a couple days though because it just isn't safe to ride if the streets are icy -- more because of the drivers than the streets themselves.
    Yup, guessed it again. Ever notice how you can pick out a serial spammer just from the email notification? The first clue seems to be a woman`s name incorporated into the user handle. Why do they all do that?
    Recalculating....

  9. #859
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6,111
    First snow in Montreal yesterday. Not going to melt away since it's gonna stay under the freezing point for now on. So far so good with studded tires. I'm more worried about the majority of drivers who doesn't have their winter tires on yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  10. #860
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    59

    So sick of messing with booties and still having wet feet and ankles.

    Really, I'm sick of having an extra step in going out to ride and coming back in from it _period_. Am I alone in wanting a Sorel Glacier-style clipless boot that is really a boot rarher than just a high-top shoe?

  11. #861
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    Reputation: bedwards1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,121
    ^^I made the jump to winter boots this year and have been pretty happy about it. Ergo Grip. You get what you pay for and I only paid $89 so they aren't the best but a lot better than messing with booties. Back country runs 50% off sometimes. I would NOT pay the full $179 for them.

  12. #862
    I Ride for Donuts
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,403
    ^^ What kills me in this department is being unable to find rain pants that are long enough to cover the tops of my winter boots that aren't really boots but just high-top shoes (same shoes as bedwards). the shoes are great and waterproof, but apparently no one who makes rain pants has ever seen a human with normal sized legs. I get a gap/wet ankles, and then water runs down inside the boots, even though they seal up pretty tight around the ankle.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  13. #863
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    Reputation: bedwards1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,121
    ^^I'm pretty sure my showers pass storm pants are long enough. My Descente Shelter tights are long enough to zip outside the boots so the water at least wicks out, not in. I have long, 34" inseam, legs.

  14. #864
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,663
    ^^ Thinking outside the box. I don't have the issue, and I don't have arm warmers, but it arm warmers are waterproof, can they cover the top of the shoe and up the leg like flashing on a roof with the pant leg over them? Sort of the overlapping shingle concept, only tubular-leg shaped.

    BrianMc

  15. #865
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    59
    BrianMc, it seems like it would work fine for the ride, but that's still one more step in a process of suiting-up and de-suiting, and one more thing to have hanging to dry and hoping will actually be comfortably dry after work/school for the ride home.

  16. #866
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,297
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ What kills me in this department is being unable to find rain pants that are long enough to cover the tops of my winter boots that aren't really boots but just high-top shoes (same shoes as bedwards). the shoes are great and waterproof, but apparently no one who makes rain pants has ever seen a human with normal sized legs. I get a gap/wet ankles, and then water runs down inside the boots, even though they seal up pretty tight around the ankle.
    My cycling tights are just the right length to cover the anklet, on to p of my winter boots...nice snug fit....

    It is quite a sensation to ride through an icy puddle ...feel the force of the water splashing up, but neither the cold nor the wet.

    If you are wearing full non breathable rain gear that should work just fine underneath.

  17. #867
    I Ride for Donuts
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,403
    I have thought about using gaiters...but I don't want to have more stuff to put on!! I do have some tights that would probably work for the shingle layer thing. I just really want rain pants that are long enough. Seems like they should be out there. I have thought about modifying a pair of rain pants with some sort of strap or loop that would hook them around the bottom of my shoe, to keep them from riding up...if I could find some long enough. I just need to try some on. Sitting and Pedaling make pants that seem plenty long turn out to be really short when you're actually using them.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  18. #868
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,297
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I have thought about using gaiters...but I don't want to have more stuff to put on!! I do have some tights that would probably work for the shingle layer thing. I just really want rain pants that are long enough. Seems like they should be out there. I have thought about modifying a pair of rain pants with some sort of strap or loop that would hook them around the bottom of my shoe, to keep them from riding up...if I could find some long enough. I just need to try some on. Sitting and Pedaling make pants that seem plenty long turn out to be really short when you're actually using them.
    You sure like to complicate things...

    If you can't find and buy a pair of rain pants long enough....well that is on you.

    If they dont' have a cuff that will seal to the boot top.....well that is on you.

    Cause the solution is sitting right under your nose.

  19. #869
    I Ride for Donuts
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,403
    ^^ My upper lip will not help with this.

    I should also mention that I'm riding with leg warmers that are also too short to cover this gap or do the overlap thing with the top of the boot... maybe I have freakishly long legs..except I don't.

    I use shorts/leg warmers under the rain pants for easy laundry... I can go a long time between leg warmer washings, and can swap the shorts out every couple days... I only have one pair of nice winter tights. Maybe I need a few more pairs...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  20. #870
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,297
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I should also mention that I'm riding with leg warmers that are also too short to cover this gap or do the overlap thing with the top of the boot... maybe I have freakishly long legs..except I don't.

    I use shorts/leg warmers under the rain pants for easy laundry... I can go a long time between leg warmer washings, and can swap the shorts out every couple days... I only have one pair of nice winter tights. Maybe I need a few more pairs...
    Good thought

    I have at least four pairs, two are mediums, two a large...

    I use the small ones normally, but when it gets cold I will put one of the large on over top of the medium...

    I can also use the large singly they are just a littl baggier than tighter.

    The large ones are very wind and water proof front and back...

    The mediums are very wind and water proof front only....back is very breathable...

    Seems to work out for me...I don't bother with rain pants much though.

  21. #871
    I Ride for Donuts
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,403
    I'll put them on my Christmas list.

    My situation is also complicated by the fact that I'm a teacher, and I can't ride across campus in tights... My students just aren't mature enough to handle that. I want some of the windproof front/breatheable back tights, but I'd still have to wear baggies over them or it would be impossible to teach the next day.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  22. #872
    Ex-Clydesdale
    Reputation: Dwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I'll put them on my Christmas list.

    My situation is also complicated by the fact that I'm a teacher, and I can't ride across campus in tights... My students just aren't mature enough to handle that. I want some of the windproof front/breatheable back tights, but I'd still have to wear baggies over them or it would be impossible to teach the next day.
    If they have time to laugh, they have time to do extra homework. Show them that men in tights always have the last laugh.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

  23. #873
    I Ride for Donuts
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,403
    That's not the problem... It's the 20 minute conversation that would take up most of the period the next day that I just don't want to deal with.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  24. #874
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,297
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    That's not the problem... It's the 20 minute conversation that would take up most of the period the next day that I just don't want to deal with.
    20 minutes once a year????

    lets see some 180 days at 6 hours per day...

    0.03% of a year mmeeehhh

  25. #875
    I Ride for Donuts
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,403
    I wish... more like 20 minutes per period (7 period days), on the day following every day I was spotted on campus (or in public at all, really) in bike dork clothes. The awesome thing about immaturity is that something like that just never gets old.

    And it's 181 days, thankyouverymuch.

    But no big deal to throw baggies on... what I need is either some really long rain paints, really long leg warmers, or a few more pairs of tights.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •