Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    I might have to try them both. Cold hands and feet is an ongoing issue. I've got a pair of neoprene socks but they are currently misplaced. I liked the space blanket idea because it gives some added warmth with little added thickness.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I have been wearing these:

Waterproof Cycling Shoe Covers - Cycling Booties - Cycling Accessories | Showers Pass

Around here, keeping your dry is just as important as keeping them warm. Typically the coldest temps I will see are the mid-20's. I wear these covers over my regular, lightweight riding shoes and a pair of lightweight smartwool socks. My commute takes just over an hour and my feet stay warm and dry. The cover acts a like a windbreaker and you get a nice warm layer of air inside heated by your foot.

I just snipped a hole in the bottom for my cleat. They are very easy to put on/take off. And they have reflective striping built in!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Welcome, jmctav, hope you have a good ride, that's cold. Where are you located?
    I'm currently living in Minsk, Belarus. Just got in from the ride home at -2 F, it wasn't too bad since it's a rather short ride the hardest part is the first ten minutes getting warmed up. Last week I decided not to ride a few days and took buses to work but I got so much colder standing and waiting at the bus stop that I realized riding is actually the warmer (and quicker) option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Looking at buying some Lake MXZ302 boots for fat biking and commuting this week. Lately I've been using SmartWool or Icebreaker wool liner socks (over the calf length) covered by either Rocky Gore-tex socks or Sealskinz socks, then stuffing my feet into a size and a half too big Shimano MTB boot. I cover that with an MEC shoe cover to keep the wet off

MEC Cycling Shoe Covers (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

As for hands, I've been using these pogies from MEC on my fatbike. I may get some BarMitz drop bar model pogies for my commuter next.

MEC Northstar Cycling Pogies (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

mtbr member
    ^ you're able to get those MEC pogies to work? I bought them last year but returned them because they were just too small (I'm the 2nd negative review on there ). The main thing was that there was no way I was going to be able to use hand signals, but also if it's -20C I really want to be able to wear a full-sized glove. I'm glad that people in Ottawa and Montreal have actually gotten them to work, though.

mtbr member
    Tough ride. SSW wind 15-25 mph with around building gusts above that. Fortunately only rode into it briefly. But yesterday was worse with gusts in excess of 45 mph blowing my car around. Too windy for me.. A balmy 50 F for the last day in January. Amazing how warm that feels after 10 F, but freezing come June. I haven't put the studded tires on yet and may not. Banana Belt at the moment.

BrianMc

Huckin' trails
    Snow !!!

It was so sketchy this evening I had a hard time keeping up my line and a little 2.5km got my hands so stress out by having to always counter-steer my thumbs were hurting bad, like when you're hands are frozen and you feel like someone just mash your fingers with a hammer... Intense
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Swedetarded
    Changing a tube when you can't feel your hands sucks donkey balls.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbigisbudgood View Post
    I believe you and I hope I never experience that particular pleasure. That`s the main reason I seldom mount my foofoo tirres in the winter.

Moderator Moderator
    Uggh! I have wondered if I could even do that. I have not gotten many flats in winter and was lucky enough either to be near the spot where the bus line starts or my driveway. I think I'll throw a lighter pair of gloves in the pack that might help reduce the suffering.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Oh, because the tires are salty because of the road and the balls.....nevermind.

Yeah, I've never had the pleasure of; well, either. I put self sealing tubes in the tires I run in the shoulder seasons and the Nokian tires have treads like car tires so there pretty tough.

The trails around me are impassable. About 3" of snow over 2" of snow with a crust in-between. Not enough snow to cover all the rocks so the snowmobiles haven't been out.

I took the truck today because the trails are crap, the roads are sloppy and my legs are spent from about 100 in the last 4 days from when the trails were good. I needed a rest day but wouldn't commit until the weather made me.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Been there, done that, hope I never have to do it again.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ I had to do one a couple years ago in the mid 'teens. You feel like you're stuck on Everest, and if you could just get the stove lit to heat up some water you might be able to survive, but your blackened stumps of frostbitten fingers won't allow you to turn the fuel knob or flick the lighter. and then you drop the tire levers in the snow again...

A horrible experience.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Frys With That, Please

That's why I HTFU and put the Slime X5 thicker inner tubes in my Winter studded tires. Talk about lead weights !!

13lbs between the two wheel/tires combo's but I wouldn't have to deal with another flat in the dead of Winter.
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

Moderator Moderator

It's winter...

...why won't it stop raining? 40F and rained most of the day..seemed to let up when I got ready to leave, but of course was pouring by the time I changed and left work. So I took the road...on the 2 mile downhill, the fatbike paddled through the wave crests with nice sound effects as I passed through them (seriously, waves were running down the pavement). Consequently felt just a bit chilly despite the temps. It let up at about 4 miles (halfway), just in time for the headwind to pick up. 32F now, so the trails may firm up OK -or be totally melted - by morning.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ...Why won't it stop snowing just enough to keep the trails impassable but not enough to get the snowmobiles out on to to pack it down? 3", cold day, warm day, 3", cold day, warm day...

Alright, it's not that bad but I got a taste of the trails this winter and it's hard to go back to the road.

Swedetarded
    Rode the Nickel in today as I wanted the big floaty tires, it has Nokain 294's mounted for when I can get out on the icy trails. Supposedly we are going to have some kind of snowpocalypse today with this Siberian system moving across the Baltic, picking up moisture and essentially acting like a snow cannon over Sweden.

Whatever, this Chicago native ain't scared.

weirdo
    No flats, no donkey balls?
    No wonder you ain`t scared- you`ve already seen worse this week!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Supposedly we are going to have some kind of snowpocalypse today with this Siberian system moving across the Baltic, picking up moisture and essentially acting like a snow cannon over Sweden.

Whatever, this Chicago native ain't scared.
    Please take that Siberian high pressure system of frigid air off of us here in eastern Europe!! At first it was a bit of a novelty seeing how cold I could still physically be able to ride to work, but after a solid week of single digit F or below temps for the HIGH on sunny days, it has somehow lost it's charm. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Funny things I noticed while commuting in really f'in cold weather:
    -Cable locks become a giant pain in the azz to attach to anything and then to re-wrap around the frame after locking the bike outside.
    -Having a nice cushy gel seat becomes riding on a brick of ice
    -Inflation doesn't really matter that much because your tires are so stiff
    -Brake/shifter cables can get stiff enough to slightly impede the turning of your handlebars
    -Warm up before you go outside to get on the bike, make sure you've got lots of warm blood circulated to your hands and feet so they don't freeze right away

Did I catch a niner?

Lots of stuff

Got the Fisty in "winter mode" been a very mild winter this year, hardly any snow but we have much more ice this year due to thawing and refreezing constantly.

And for such ice I got a set of Nokian w106 45c tires today for a really good price (buy one get one half off plus 10% off)

Made some shoe covers to see how they fair, I tried duct tape but it just peeled off. I will probably cave and just get shoe covers. These Sette shoes are only used in winter, anyone know of a bootie cover that zips up on the front so I can get at the cinch? I did duct tape under the sole to keep my feet a bit warmer.

Best.Top.Cap.Ever.

Oh and I made pizza
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 02-07-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: added words
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    Please take that Siberian high pressure system of frigid air off of us here in eastern Europe!! ...
    -Having a nice cushy gel seat becomes riding on a brick of ice
    Gee, I thought mine felt like a 2x4, and that is suddenly sounding a lot more comfy than your block of ice.

I heard a news story about all the people (150?) who died in the cold snap, sorry to hear.

Huckin' trails
    Well tomorrow might be the (first) epic day of the year. It's been snowing a bit last week, then warmed up and then all freeze over the last 2 days. Today was about -6C, very sunny and not much wind. Tomorrow will be around -4C and a bit less wind, plus same or more sunny hours.

Streets are dries, trails are frozen, my brother is off too and I have a nice bike all super clean waiting in the basement. We should hit the mountain right after lunch, and own the trails by 2pm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-img_1008_web.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by David C; 02-08-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

weirdo
    Have fun, David. That sounds a lot better than waiting in the hallway to renew your drivers license

Huckin' trails
    Yup, 7:30 and I'm up already, going to play CoD World at War to wake my brain up

Then let's go !

Moderator Moderator
    Our short, warm, low-snow winter may be over already. 60F today, enough to convince me to take the studs off the 26'r and mount the summer tires. Hoping mud season will be short as well.

Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast