Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ...I also remember the cars using the shortcut across Sebago Lake ice, but they donít all make it!
    Yup, I was out on the lake with my bike the year before last watching them try to pull one out. It's Little Sebago that's between me and work. It pretty much extends from one road to the other.

Perspective: A commute home at 35 degrees in September would be cold and horrible, a commute home at 35 degrees in January is warm and wonderful! I left a layer at work, didn't need a face mask it was a beautiful thing.

Moderator Moderator
    Wow, just saw that we have had 100" less snowfall than last year at this time.

MTB, Road, Commuting

Almost a success

I attempted the trails this morning but they weren't quite frozen enough to ride. I'm hoping with one more thaw today and a harder freeze they will be good. My studded commuter tires are only 1.9" so they are the good for snow on the road but opposite of what you want on the trail.

I did get to cut across the lake and do my commute on camp roads instead of the main roads I usually have to take. It's all good. Tomorrow I'll try again.

weirdo
    Wow, just saw that we have had 100" less snowfall than last year at this time.
    Is that a typo? If not, you must get some serious snow!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Is that a typo? If not, you must get some serious snow!
    No, not a typo. But last year was snowy, we ended up at 128" for the winter and the average is only 81. And that's in Burlington, the "banana belt" up on Lake Champlain. We get more at my house, it's colder even though I'm 50 miles south, and it's at higher elevation.

Huckin' trails
    No, not a typo. But last year was snowy, we ended up at 128" for the winter and the average is only 81. And that's in Burlington, the "banana belt" up on Lake Champlain. We get more at my house, it's colder even though I'm 50 miles south, and it's at higher elevation.
    You're in Burlington ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    she's in burlington vermont, not burlington ontario.

was a collective exhausted coughing kind of day, so me and my son stayed home, I built the kona explosif up with studs and alfine and juicy 7's.
    had it sorted with gazzaloddis (which are infinitely more fun) but they're way less road-worthy (of course) so schwalbes for now.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    That looks like quite a dream bike, Jollynuts.
    Doesn`t your tire make a big shadow off tothe left side when you run by headlight? Or does that just not bother you? I`ve had asymetrical shadows before from mounting my light close to the tire and, while it still worked fine, it drove me bonkers
    There is not a huge shadow...just a very little bit, as in the photo below which I took last night. Not enough to be noticeable while riding.

B+M Lumotec IQ Cyo R light beam mounted on Freeload Racks (Sapporo, Japan) by Robert Thomson.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    she's in burlington vermont, not burlington ontario.
    I was talking about Burlington VT. I'm aware of the one in ON.

Just that I go there a few times a year and love that place for riding. The commute looks even better down there too. I think I might move there one day
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^I'm about an hour south of Burlington, VT, near Millstonetrails.com Lots of Canadians come down to ride at Millstone in the summer.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    The commute looks even better down there too.
    For what its worth, you aren`t the only one who`s envious of MtbX`s commute.

EDIT: Talking about the tail commute- she can keep the part on the skinny highways

Huckin' trails
    ^^I'm about an hour south of Burlington, VT, near Millstonetrails.com Lots of Canadians come down to ride at Millstone in the summer.
    Further south I usually go is Converse bay, just after Charlotte town. I was surprised to see a camel along with some sheep in farm's yard last spring.

I bet you're hating those crazy drivers on the highway that all has a Quebec license plate, uh ? A lot of Quebeckers don't gives **** about road sharing and traffic circulation. And it's even worst when they're not in their province. All driving BMW's and Audi's. I hate them too

Hows Millstones trails ?

Moderator Moderator
    ^^I've seen that camel too. Millstone is unique, trails are built among the old granite quarries & surrounding woods, 60+ miles of trails, some nice views too. I like the slow windy rocky ones, but there are cruisers and some crazy freeride stuff too.

Huckin' trails
    ^^I've seen that camel too. Millstone is unique, trails are built among the old granite quarries & surrounding woods, 60+ miles of trails, some nice views too. I like the slow windy rocky ones, but there are cruisers and some crazy freeride stuff too.
    Looks like fun. Now if only I had a shuttle service to get there and come back home on week days

Do you know about the origin of that camel btw ?

fux
    Scooterist
    Yesterdays commute was hard on the legs, I think the snow plough forgot us cyclists.

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-27jan04.jpg

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-27jan02.jpg

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-27jan01.jpg
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Posing for a pic in between battles of sugar snow drifts. It looked like only a half inch of snow fell last night, but the drifts were 6-8" deep on the bike path. Didn't even seem that windy either. Weird, but welcomed! Having a fun ride on Monday sure sets the tone for the week!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

fux
    Scooterist
    A lot colder today @ -7. It was almost light when I got home today and even though I had promised myself not to take of my gloves for a photo, I couldn`t resist getting one of a fella kiting on ski`s...

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-kite.jpg
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

Huckin' trails
    Today I decided to f*ck that winter shitte and take out my big bike for commuting. Wish I could do the same for the year round
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-img_1008.jpg  

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-img_1010.jpg  

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-img_1017.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    SNOOOOOW GLOOORIOUS SNOOOOOW!!!

Two instances worth mentioning-
    laughing out loud (like, REALLY loud) at the Kia SUV sliding sideways while it's wheels spun madly, powering slowly past on studded tires, trailer in tow.
    I'm crunching powder in the gutter, you're just on wet pavement where the all the other cars have gone before.

Squinting through the eye-stinging snow, realizing there's about 2 blocks of clear rail-trail ahead, snicker-snack down the gears, trust the tires and just hammer wheeeeeeee all the way home.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've been lurking in this thread for a bit but since it's my first year trying to commute year round I figured I'd post up. I have a nice short commute of 25 minutes one way along a nice riverside bike path through a few parks, no traffic to worry about, nice crunchy hard pack snow all the way.

I'll get some pics posted up someday when it's not quite so cold, but I'm mentally preparing myself for braving this weather today/tonight on the way home:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-weather.png  

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Today I decided to f*ck that winter shitte and take out my big bike for commuting. Wish I could do the same for the year round
    My Nickel is rocking Nokian 294's for the winter so I can keep going out on the trails. I ride it in on heavy snow days FTW. I hate riding the Winter Marathons when it's loose.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    I've been lurking in this thread for a bit but since it's my first year trying to commute year round I figured I'd post up. I have a nice short commute of 25 minutes one way along a nice riverside bike path through a few parks, no traffic to worry about, nice crunchy hard pack snow all the way.

I'll get some pics posted up someday when it's not quite so cold, but I'm mentally preparing myself for braving this weather today/tonight on the way home:
    Welcome, jmctav, hope you have a good ride, that's cold. Where are you located?

MTB, Road, Commuting

Winter riding tip

I just started riding the trails on my MTB which has Time pedals so I can't wear the boots I normally wear on the commuter bike. My MTB shoes are vented. I have toe covers but they are a pain in the a** so I decided to try something different. The first day I used plastic bags over my socks and that blocked the wind from going through but today was 12 F so I didn't think it would cut it. I decided to that a space blanket material might be a good choice. I didn't want to cut up a whole blanket for the experiment so I used a Mylar balloon cut (around the seam) into 2 flat pieces. I wrapped my socks (I always wear 2 pair in the winter) burrito style before I put them in my shoes and the results were pretty good.

I used a pink "It's a Girl" balloon that's been kicking around our house since a fall (could even have been summer) baby shower but I don't think that's important. I did a search for a commercial booty but nobody seems to make them.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^ Careful when googling for booty

I use these: Gator Icelander Socks at Price Point
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    I like your innovation. I have also put duct tape inside to block vents and some shoe goo or other non-permanent stuff around the cleat slots to make them more waterproof. When I still used clipless & Times, I had some Adidas covers that were velcro instead of zip-in and they were easier to put on.

I replaced my gore-tex socks this year with these, but they are very un-stretchy and a bit of a PITA to pull on. Once on, they work great over wool socks. You definitely have to buy the next size up than you usually wear. Rocky Gore-Tex Socks

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast