Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast
    Huckin' trails
    Big storm today. Lot of snow. Yay !

Went for a 1h ride. Moving time was about 15 minutes total according to my GPS. I spent a lot of time just looking at the urban landscape, all cover up with white pristine snow. And to catch my breath. I was going mostly ups and downs since I live on a inclined street, so powering up was kind of exhausting, because I went to the nearby ice ring with 5" of snow over it... Studded tires where not even much helping in rear traction. I think I'm gonna re-do the rear studs in a more aggressive pattern. Btw, going to Burlington tomorrow. I'll come see you guys during winter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1326433199.235913.jpg  

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1326433275.836502.jpg  

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1326433339.950906.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Moderator Moderator
    I just learned that I have a new excuse for riding slow in winter conditions...molasses on our roadways...

The best news on the road salt front in this area is the increasing use of salt brine instead of dry salt. Gil Newbury of the Vermont Agency of Transportation compares it to the non-stick stuff you spray on a frying pan. Applied just before a storm begins, it keeps snow from sticking to the road, making it easy for plows to wing it off the roadbed. Itís estimated that up to one-third of the dry salt that leaves a spreader bounces right into the roadside ditch before doing any melting at all, whereas brine stays put. Like any salt, it becomes less effective as the temperature drops, but the addition of molasses -- yes, molasses -- makes the brine work when itís nearly -- 4įF, while salt alone loses almost all of its melting power at around 15įF.

from Ecology and road salt - Bennington Banner

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Last year I started commuting (again) in early May, and I only missed one day. This year my goal is zero missed days... This morning was a good test, because there was a lot of blown snow, and some very slick spots - some scary descnents... But so far so good!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I bought myself a ShowersPass jacket as a self Christmas present (20% off any LL Bean Purchase) but we haven't had any showers since then. It looks like it should work great and has all the features I've been looking for with good vents.

One Colorful Rider
    Winter finally Showed up here Yesterday

Moderator Moderator
    The plows got out last night, so a lot easier going this morning. Nicely packed snow on the dirt roads and icky slush on the rest. Mist and light rain, supposed to change back to snow for another 2-5Ē with 45mph gusts later. Since I havenít been driving I havenít touched the driveway yet Ė I plan to snowblow both storms tomorrow, but I may regret that as the high will be 10F, but at least the wind is supposed to die down.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ My plow got out this morning...the one on the front of my truck. I had to take care of our driveway because it is steep and if it gets packed with wet heavy snow and then freezes it is a scary slide into the road on any vehicle. After my failed attempt last night I just kept driving the truck to work. The roads are s slushy mess so it was the right choice. I'll be back at it Monday.

I Ride for Donuts
    Brisk this morning at 8*F. Rode the singlespeed. I think I'm figuring out what that's all about. I need some new shoe covers or something... numb toes upon arrival at work this morning. Fingers were tingly in the PI Lobsters, but not unbearable. Single digits push the limits of my usual gear...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    sunday- wife's barefoot while taking the recycling out, sun so bright the concrete looked white. didn't ride.
    this morning- snow, stormy winds, wet slush everywhere, SS studded tires with trailer passing turbo'd hatchbacks spinning their "all season radials" uphill.
    giggling manically the whole time.
    I LOVE WINTER RIDING
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-nosnowymorn.jpg  

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-snowymorn.jpg  

If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    This past week I had almost everything that the winter can throw on me here:

More photos and the complete story in my blog: Toni Lund - Adventure cyclist: All Condition Commuting
    "Cycling is not the whole life, it's much more."
    www.tonilund.fi - Facebook - Twitter - Google+

mtbr member
    And winter is finally here. Got some snow last night, and temperatures dropped from around freezing to -20C/-4F. Next week the lows should be down into the -30Cs. Really nice sundogs this morning, though:

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice! Cold here this weekend too, single digit highs and a good breeze today. Went snowshoeing to stomp down the 8" or so of snow for better fatbike commuting Tuesday. I'm hoping snowmobiles have gotten out on the rest of the route. My driveway only has a 4' swath cleared as I got a flat on my garden tractor/snowblower on the first pass yesterday and nobody can fix it til tomorrow. I was able to drive out anyway and saw an unusual winter rainbow over a ski area yesterday - they are finally happy.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Extra cold commute today at -12F. It felt like I was riding a lead bike though molasses. There's something about the cold that makes me extra slow. Even flat sections where I probably do 20mph in the summer I was pushing to do 12.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Rare snow ride here in Seattle. Had to break out the Mountain Bike. It was OK where the MUP was packed down...but in between trailheads I was plowing through 4" of crusty snow and that was a lot of work. 25 degrees this morning, but should be back above freezing and melted off by the end of the week.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Extra cold commute today at -12F. It felt like I was riding a lead bike though molasses. There's something about the cold that makes me extra slow. Even flat sections where I probably do 20mph in the summer I was pushing to do 12.
    The air is heavier and creates more resistance....inversely proportional to the absolute temperture

so (60+460)R/(-12+460)=1.16 or 16% more drag from the air...

The tires also stiffen up and increase the rolling resistance..

The extra clothes steal energy to keep folding and unfolding them...

All in easily a 16 to 20% penalty.

weirdo
    Bedwards, I just caught in your profile that you`re in ME. Are you close to Arcadia NP? We need some ride report pics from up there!

Single digit HIGHS, Xplorer? You sure did cool off for the weekend! Good luck with the tire.
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Jeff, thanks for the equation. I knew about the air density thing but the difference between +20 degrees and -10 degrees seems exponential. I guess even that change in temp is 7% more effort. The winter riding definitely takes more energy. With clothes, lights and the heavier bike I'm about 30 lbs heavier in the winter too.

Rodar, No, not that close, about 3 hours and I'm almost embarrassed to say that I've never even tried any MTB up there. I just bought myself a Surly Cross Check for my B-Day. I think a cyclocross bike would be the ultimate ride for the carriage trails. I use to do the park loop road with the family about 20 years ago on the road bikes. It is a pretty hilly ride especially if you take the side trip up Cadillac Mt. Most of my off road riding is around the Sebago Lake area on snowmobile trails.

fux
    Scooterist
    Winter hit us on Friday. I fit my ice spiker pro`s on my One9 singlespeed and its certainly safer than my marathon winter in the deep stuff, but man its hard work!

I`ll try and take some pics, because it looks like winter has come to stay for a while.

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-v%E6r.jpg
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Hi all...long time reader, first time poster...

This is my first season commuting through a properly cold, snowy winter; I moved to Sapporo in northern Japan at the end of last winter. Previously, I have toured in cold wintry Turkey (photo below), but it is a whole new ball game commuting here in Sapporo through the city each day.

Just because (near Oltu, eastern Turkey) by Robert Thomson.

So for this winter, I have been working on creating a kind of semi-fat bike which I hope will be a good jack-of-all-trades.

Disclaimer: A lot of this stuff either cost me very little, or nothing at all for this project bike; Surly provided the bike at cost, Schwalbe the tires, Kris Holm the rims, B+M the light, Selle An-Atomica the saddle, Freeload the racks, Planet Bike the fenders, Barmitts the mitts.

It has been great fun putting this bike together (it has only just all come together in the last week), so time to show it off.

Surly Karate Monkey (Sapporo, Japan) by Robert Thomson.

I'm commuting mainly in heavy snow conditions (plowed roads) with temps between -10deg C to 0deg C (14deg F to 32deg F). In some ways it would be nice if it was colder, because the salts put on the roads mean that the snow doesn't compact down at these temperatures, and biking on soft slippery snow no low-PSI tyres can be quite squirrely (although the extra spread of the 47mm wide Kris Holm rims has helped immensely, compared with the 22.5mm Salsa Delago cross rims originally on the bike).

Winter cycle commute in Sapporo, Japan by Robert Thomson.

It is a Surly Karate Monkey 2011 frame with:

Wheels: Shimano Alfine 8-speed IGH + Alfine dynamo hub + B+M Lumotec IQ Cyo light + Kris Holm 29inch 47mm wide rims

B+M Lumotec ID Cyo on Surly Karate Monkey (Sapporo, Japan) by Robert Thomson.

Kris Holm 29inch 47mm mountain rims with Ice Spiker Pro tyres on Surly Karate Monkey (Sapporo, Japan) by Robert Thomson.

Shimano Alfine 8-speed IGH on Surly Karate Monkey (Sapporo, Japan) by Robert Thomson.

Going from the single speed to 8-speed, especially in snowy conditions, has been like night and day. The shifting of the Alfine IGH is smooth as silk...very nice. It will be interesting to see how it holds up to the rest of the season.

Also the Kris Holm rims really do make a huge difference (when compared with skinnier rims). It is always going to be a moot-point as to whether you're just better off investing in a proper fat-bike, but for a one-bike quiver man like myself, I'm trying to get the best of both worlds between a light, low-resistance tourer and a fat-bike (with lots of trade offs at both ends). The problem is that I love cycling in winter, and I quite like cycling fast on slicks in summer....

Freeload Racks (incidentally a nice place to mount the light)

>> An older photo of the bike in summer, showing the racks <<

2011 Surly Karate Monkey by Robert Thomson.

To be honest, I haven't found all that many uses for the front rack in every day life so far, apart from hauling some rice and some extra sleeping bags. The rear rack has seen plenty of use though (I always have a pannier attached with extra clothes/tools etc when commuting).

I've been enjoying the Barmitts; they do what they say they do, at least down to -10deg C (14deg F).

Yakult lady during winter cycle commute in Sapporo, Japan by Robert Thomson.

Ice Spiker Pro 29inch 2.25 Tyres

With the price these retail at, you'd expect them to be amazing, and they are. Very light (lighter than 29inch 2.35 Big Apples), amazing traction on ice (we get quite a lot of that here), and not too much trade-off in terms of width (still quite wide).

Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro (29 inch x 2.25) in Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan | アイススパイカープロ(29インチ x 2.25)(札幌) by Robert Thomson.

That should do for now...thanks all for the inspiring thread!

Rob Thomson
    14degrees.org | Cyclist and longboarder Rob Thomson's webspace

mtbr member
    ^ great stuff, jollynut.

I'm running something pretty similar - a rigid 29er with 35mm rims (so tiny compared to the Holms ), 8speed drivetrain, and icespikerpros - and I'm really impressed with what a good platform it is for winter riding.

weirdo
    That looks like quite a dream bike, Jollynuts.
    Doesn`t your tire make a big shadow off tothe left side when you run by headlight? Or does that just not bother you? I`ve had asymetrical shadows before from mounting my light close to the tire and, while it still worked fine, it drove me bonkers
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Great pictures of your sweet ride Jollynuts! I've got some Studded "Mount and Grounds" on my commuter but I'm l kind of lusting after those tires for my mountain bike for riding frozen snowmobile trails and lakes. That's the first time I noticed the seriousness of those studs - one/knob.

Moderator Moderator
    I walked the first 200í because my driveway was so icy and wet, and itís steep. I might have made it with the studded tires but didnít want to risk a fall on the ice plus getting wet. Once on the road it was fine. A light mist and 36F. If it re-freezes before all the snow melts the trails should be fast. Yesterday a beagler shot a rare black snowshoe hare nearby...if I'd seen it I probably would have thought it was an escaped pet, but I guess it's a genetic rarity like an albino.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^I've got the same driveway problem. It's steep right to the road where I can't see if a car is coming or not. I walk it when it's icy. I'm looking forward to the frozen trails because that's the only way I can ride them. I'm up to 5 bikes but a fatbike isn't one of them. The trails aren't possible in the summer because there is a lake in the way. Too bad because I'd love to be able do do the trail commute more often.

Moderator Moderator
    Commuting across the frozen lake sounds pretty cool I recall that a lot of those snowmo trails over there have a lake in the way in summer. I also remember the cars using the shortcut across Sebago Lake ice, but they donít all make it!

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast