Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    mechbgon:
    what PSI are you running in the Nokians?

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    I commute all winter too. You hardcore people will probably like this photo story of one day's commute: http://www.mechbgon.com/commute
    I THOUGHT I was hardcore until I checked that out. Awesome. I had some friends at Gonzaga, by the way...Spokane is an awesome city/awesome area
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    that commute looks awesome!
    I stay away from highways in winter myself, one quick slip and I'm under a semi!

But serious props for doing that!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguekid
    mechbgon:
    what PSI are you running in the Nokians?
    Usually about 30-35 front, 40-45 rear. I've lost 20 pounds so I may be able to get away with somewhat less, but I don't want the front tire trying to roll sideways when I corner on pavement.

Glad you guys liked the pics The '07-'08 winter was a serious one for Spokane, with near-record snowfall, just storm after storm after storm. It was outta control for a while.

HTFU and Ride
    it is going to be in the twenties in the morning tomorrow....hmmm. do i really want to commute in the winter?
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coachjon
    it is going to be in the twenties in the morning tomorrow....hmmm. do i really want to commute in the winter?
    yes

yes you do

fux
    Scooterist

Storm

There is a bit of a storm here the last few days.

I had to stand and pedal in my lowest gear today and I used over an hour on my 15.7 km`s in. I hope it dies down a bit before I go home because I trained intervals yesterday and this was supposed to be a day off training.

Oh, sorted out my new commuter, I love the mudguards but I have to find some skinnier tires for clearence as it rubs a bit now.

Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

I Ride for Donuts
    This was my first day in the 20's also ...I think it was 28 or so. What was I thinking when I shaved my full beard? This goatee is freaking cold.

Nothing but a moisture wicking teeshirt under my Mountain Hardwear Synchro softshell, by the way. I actually unzipped it a bit before I got to work. You gotta check these out.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Here in Alaska commuting in the winter takes a real commitment of time and gear. I have two winter bikes now, a pugsley with large marge and endomorphs, and a rockhopper with snowcats and nokian 294's for icy packed conditions.

I try to commute at least twice a week in the winter, I would ride more but due to weather and the distance I have to travel sometimes its just not possible.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I'm trying to work my winter bike out right know, hopefully I can find a cheap commuter that will work soon.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I hear ya Jeff, this year will be my first year for winter commuting. 294's are on order. No fat bike, YET. ;p

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i'm used to commuting in Calgary, Alberta where the winters are pretty extreme for the most part, although not too too snowy.

this winter i'm in the Kootenays of British Columbia, where it won't be as cold, but I think I'm in for a lot more snow, so i'm kinda excited. I might have to ride my mtb instead of road, we'll see

as for ^^^ for warm feet - i ride flats on my commuters, and sometimes just use my winter hiking boots. maybe a little klunky, but they work just like they should. i've given up on most pricey cycling-specific winter gear for gloves, shoes, socks and just use my ski or hiking gear

edit: whoops, was on second page when replying to the guy about the cold feet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I currently live in Stuttgart Germany and it is a wonderful place for cyclists. This is my first year commuting to and from work (6 hilly miles each way). I'm kind of afraid of riding in sub-freezing temps. I had a nasty spill a few months ago one day the roads were wet. To make a long story short, I busted my chin open, knocked out one tooth and chipped another tooth. I've gotten my grill fixed, but I'm still timid when it comes to riding in poor road conditions. I'll be taking it a day at a time this winter. I hope that I make it through the whole winter. I have more than enough gear to stay warm, but I'm still a little gun shy from my accident.
    Last edited by Solomon76; 10-28-2008 at 12:27 PM.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ I hear you there. I took a dive in the dark on my morning commute about 3 weeks ago, and I've been pretty timid when riding in to work since then. I decided that there's nothing wrong with arriving 5 minutes later for a while, until I either add to my headlight collection or somehow get over my fear of repeating that crash.

When we get a big storm, I'll drive when the roads are packed snow/ice, and ride as soon as they're clear. That's usually only a day or two around here. Not enough for me to buy studs (yet). My best winter commuting effort so far saw me driving to work only 5 times. The year before that I think it was 24. I live way up a dirt road, so it's hard to guess how the pavement will be from my house. Sometimes my dirt road will be like sledding, and the pavement will be clear.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76
    I currently live in Stuttgart Germany and it is a wonderful place for cyclists. This is my first year commuting to and from work (6 hilly miles each way). I'm kind of afraid of riding in sub-freezing temps. I had a nasty spill a few months ago one day the roads were wet. To make a long story short, I busted my chin open, knocked out one tooth and chipped another tooth. I've gotten my grill fixed, but I'm still timid when it comes to riding in poor road conditions. I'll be taking it a day at a time this winter. I hope that I make it through the whole winter. I have more than enough gear to stay warm, but I'm still a little gun shy from my accident.
    Do you have a good pair of studded tires on your bike ? If not you should they work amazingly well on icy winter roads and trails. Stick with either Nokian or Schwalbe stay away from the cheaper ones this is one area you don't want to try to save a buck.

I have a pair of Nokian 294's that are on there 3rd season and still going strong !

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    After reading this thread, I’ve changed my attitude about riding through the winter. I had my mind made up that as soon as the temperature dropped below 32F, I'd hang up my helmet for the winter. Now that I see that I won't be battling the elements alone, I have a new motivation to keep riding.

I can say that I did learn some things from my accident. I am much more careful when I take corners (regardless of the road conditions). I've also start riding with a mouth guard (won't leave home without it). Not only does the mouth guard give me piece of mind that I won't have a repeat of my previous accident, it also keeps my teeth warm when I'm sucking down the frigid morning air.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76
    After reading this thread, Ive changed my attitude about riding through the winter. I had my mind made up that as soon as the temperature dropped below 32F, I'd hang up my helmet for the winter. Now that I see that I won't be battling the elements alone, I have a new motivation to keep riding.
    That's exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread. Knowing that the rest of you are out there battling the same elements makes it that much easier to get out there myself.

bicycle dreamer
    Personally, these last few days where it's been near 30 for my commute have been absolutely wonderful.

I was actually hoping to hit the snow yesterday. I should also mention, tomorrow marks the Month of October with only 1 day of driving in to work. I'm pretty stoked.
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ I'm with you on liking those crispy cool mornings...It's not until the teens or so that I begin to question my sanity.

The forecast around here calls for a couple days of pretty serious rain...I have the fenders on finally, and I think I'm ready for that first serious rain ride....we'll see after work today. It was dry on the way in, but you can tell it's going to unload any minute. I definitely prefer the snow...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Toes, what toes, oh I feel that, its stinging pain when the hot water hit them! Need booties.
    Might just be near the commuting Century, have not even used one tank of gas all summer in my car.
    KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

No-Brakes Cougar
    We're supposed to be getting our first major rains of the season this weekend here in the Bay Area. Supposed to start tonight actually. Guess this is as good a time as any to test my commuter in the rain!

Had to wear a sweatshirt to work for the first time this morning (I know, poor me). At night I'm still going bare sleeves, huffing and puffing uphill. It's still hovering around the lower 60s/upper 50s in late evening. Good all-year-round cycling here in the Bay Area!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    I've just gotten to the point where I've started wearing my full face helmet on my commute to preserve my ears. the lows are only starting to dip into the 30s so far, but for someone who's idea of the perfect riding day includes some nice, fast, flowy single track (with chances to get air) with very green vegetation coming right up to the trail, ridden when the temps are in the mid 70s, lows in the 30s is pretty chilly. I think that once the lows start to dip into the 20s I'll pick up a wind proof baclava to wear under the full face. as for bike setup, right now I'm riding my do-all xc-trail-AM-screw-around bike, which is set up 2x9, 4" travel front and rear, hydro disks, 29" wide risers, with michelin knobbies front and rear. in central VA we don't get much snow (if we get anything it usually melts and goes to ice pretty quick), but I wouldn't mind riding in the snow. when the roads go icy I hang up the helmet and get a ride to school with my parents, but do want to ride every day the weather isn't bad
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

bicycle dreamer
    It's supposed to be in the low 70s here in southern Wisconsin.

I might actually have to break out my short sleeve jerseys again ... I don't know what to do!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I hear you, its going to be nice here all week, we had 2" of snow last week and 2 days later it as short weather.
    You just never know!

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

bicycle dreamer
    So I threw on Nokian Hakkapeliitta 700 x 35 tires on my commuter yesterday in preparation for the upcoming snow that we are supposed to get blasted with in the coming weeks. (Or season?)

What a weird sensation. I'm a little leery of the side grip on corners, as well as braking but I'm sure I'll find the limits eventually.

The sound the studs make on the road are awesome. It's like I'm riding through rocks ... all the time.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast